The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Upon my return from a week in Costa Rica, #214 (Walnut/Lutz NL-00) was at long last in my hands. I've been getting to know her for the last couple of days and I'll post more thoughts and better photos in a NGD thread, most likely over the weekend. I made the pickguard using amber tigerstripe Tortoloid which I got from StewMac.

This is one of my favorite Halcyons.. There is something about that pick guard. You definitely helped fuel the GAS and I ended up starting a 00 build today... [emoji3]
Old 03-29-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
This is one of my favorite Halcyons.. There is something about that pick guard. You definitely helped fuel the GAS and I ended up starting a 00 build today... [emoji3]

Smart move. I am seriously thinking about another one.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Like Sauron and his bloody ring, I am seeking new contracts always...
Old 03-31-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I am getting closer to the anticipation stage. I think the last number I saw was 208 and I'm 214.
I hope their numbering system isn't similar to McDonalds at their self order kiosks. The order goes something like this:

(Congratulations! I notice this is an old thread and you already have your #214)
Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I hope their numbering system isn't similar to McDonalds at their self order kiosks. The order goes something like this:

(Congratulations! I notice this is an old thread and you already have your #214)
Thanks

Indeed I do have it and it is wonderful.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:24 PM

I’m getting another Halcyon. An Advanced Jumbo big brother for my NL-00. Basically the same configuration (walnut, lutz, Ebony), but in AJ form.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 AM

Anyone received a new Halcyon lately?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 AM

Lots and lots of folks, just not from around here it seems...
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM

I tell ya, people need to get off their real life more often and get on the computer more!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM

I'm just over here waiting patiently. Yeah...I'm really patient. Sooooo patient. I almost forgot I have another Halcyon on order. Yup. That's me. Mr. Patient.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I'm just over here waiting patiently. Yeah...I'm really patient. Sooooo patient. I almost forgot I have another Halcyon on order. Yup. That's me. Mr. Patient.
What do you think about the tone of that walnut NL-00 you have? I'm trying to find a way to order another before too much longer, but I'm kinda stuck on EIR at the moment.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoochlyman View Post
What do you think about the tone of that walnut NL-00 you have? I'm trying to find a way to order another before too much longer, but I'm kinda stuck on EIR at the moment.
I like the sound of this guitar and have liked a few other walnut guitars I've tried (Gibson J-15s and a Taylor or Larrivee, I think). Generally, I find EIR a bit dark (muddy?) and "zingy" for my taste, though it always depends on the guitar. I've played Eastman, Gibson, Martin and Taylor guitars comparing the EIR to mahogany and that has been my experience. My preference is definitely toward the sound of mahogany in most cases with those guitars.

This NL-00 of mine is a sweet-sounding guitar. It's got plenty of bass for a small body and it's really nice to sing with. It doesn't quite have the cutting power of my Eastman E6om, perhaps due to that same warm tone and prominent bass, but it can get loud when you want it to. I enjoy the tone of this one so much, I ordered my AJ with the same woods. It will obviously be a louder, more projecting guitar, as AJs are. I think the walnut gives some of the overtone content of rosewood, but not the mud and zing I hear from a lot of rosewood guitars. Ed has described it to me as being somewhere in the middle of the rosewood/mahogany spectrum and that sounds about right to me.

That said, I'm speaking from a sample size of one. This is the only Halcyon NL-00 I've played and I haven't played one with other woods, so it's tough to get a frame of reference.

Subjectively, I love it
Old 06-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I like the sound of this guitar and have liked a few other walnut guitars I've tried (Gibson J-15s and a Taylor or Larrivee, I think). Generally, I find EIR a bit dark (muddy?) and "zingy" for my taste, though it always depends on the guitar. I've played Eastman, Gibson, Martin and Taylor guitars comparing the EIR to mahogany and that has been my experience. My preference is definitely toward the sound of mahogany in most cases with those guitars.

This NL-00 of mine is a sweet-sounding guitar. It's got plenty of bass for a small body and it's really nice to sing with. It doesn't quite have the cutting power of my Eastman E6om, perhaps due to that same warm tone and prominent bass, but it can get loud when you want it to. I enjoy the tone of this one so much, I ordered my AJ with the same woods. It will obviously be a louder, more projecting guitar, as AJs are. I think the walnut gives some of the overtone content of rosewood, but not the mud and zing I hear from a lot of rosewood guitars. Ed has described it to me as being somewhere in the middle of the rosewood/mahogany spectrum and that sounds about right to me.

That said, I'm speaking from a sample size of one. This is the only Halcyon NL-00 I've played and I haven't played one with other woods, so it's tough to get a frame of reference.

Subjectively, I love it
Great review! I've also heard that Walnut is somewhere between EIR and Mahogany. Might have to give it a shot instead.

Nice call on the AJ. That's what I'm been leaning toward as a next guitar. I'm been considering cedar over EIR, but not dead set on it yet.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoochlyman View Post
Great review! I've also heard that Walnut is somewhere between EIR and Mahogany. Might have to give it a shot instead.

Nice call on the AJ. That's what I'm been leaning toward as a next guitar. I'm been considering cedar over EIR, but not dead set on it yet.
Yeah, I’m excited for the AJ as I’ve sold all my big body guitars (J-45 True Vintage and a 60s Hummingbird Reissue). I saw the NL-00 on the Facebook group today with that beautiful rosewood and it’s making me think about switching to rosewood for my AJ to get the traditional sound. I probably won’t, but I’m tempted.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Please don't. CITES is a PITA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop