The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 PM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Just for channels 3 & 4. Channels 1 & 2 have rather nice preamps.
I was hoping it would have 4 combo jacks and XLR outs but they would have been wishful wishful thinking considering the size.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-14-2019, 04:17 PM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing is that this mixer does something that seems to be common, but that I’m not crazy about:

It uses line level inputs, then allows you to compensate for the gain by adding up to 12db of extra gain from the individual mixer channels. If you look at mixer channel, the 12 o’clock position is 0db. All the way clockwise. With 24db ADC and DAC converters, this theoretically isn’t a big deal. Mackie does this and calls it “wide-z”. Behringer does this on the XR-12 and XR-16 line inputs. Korg does this on their KONNECT one piece PA.

I’m sure this approach saves money by reducing the number of preamps needed. I play fingerstyle guitar with no nails, and my guitar output is softer than most strummers. I find this approach to be a bit anemic, even with the mixer channel turned all the way up to 12db. It probably works ok for strummers.
Good point. My testing is strumming a Dreadnought with a heavy pick.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-14-2019, 05:24 PM
lkingston lkingston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I was hoping it would have 4 combo jacks and XLR outs but they would have been wishful wishful thinking considering the size.
The outs are TRS balanced.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-14-2019, 08:30 PM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The outs are TRS balanced.
Elite told me the outputs should use mono cables.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 PM
lkingston lkingston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 1,639
Default

I just checked the manual again and you’re right. Both the 1/4” ins and outs are TS. Weird. I was so sure that I saw TRS on both.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:56 AM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

So who is this mixer for? A duo that wants to travel light or a guitarist with a dual source system that wants to blend the two pickups together? A solo singer/guitarist would probably be better off with a TC Play Acoustic right?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-15-2019, 08:36 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
A duo that wants to travel light
Only if they have active pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
A guitarist with a dual source system that wants to blend the two pickups together?
All two channel pickup blender have Hi-Z preamp stage to handle passive pickups... So I think it is not the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
A solo singer/guitarist would probably be better off with a TC Play Acoustic right?
That is the problem... Aaron did you try a Baggs pickup? They have usually weak output (even being active). It would be interesting to know if a weak output active pickup is noisy with this device.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY Axoloti IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:26 AM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Only if they have active pickups


All two channel pickup blender have Hi-Z preamp stage to handle passive pickups... So I think it is not the target.


That is the problem... Aaron did you try a Baggs pickup? They have usually weak output (even being active). It would be interesting to know if a weak output active pickup is noisy with this device.
The Anthem has enough gain. I was surprised as I thought they were the lowest gain of all active pickups but it seems fine. I also wish that the EQ was parametric and the frequencies could be adjusted.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The Anthem has enough gain. I was surprised as I thought they were the lowest gain of all active pickups but it seems fine. I also wish that the EQ was parametric and the frequencies could be adjusted.
Then it is very surprising... Then the singer-songwriter target is good providing they use an active pickup. I am not sure if they are very competitive against TC Play acoustic with less features (no looper, no harmonies). TC PA has a AUX input hich is probably stereo... so the inputs are nearly equal.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY Axoloti IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:06 PM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Then it is very surprising... Then the singer-songwriter target is good providing they use an active pickup. I am not sure if they are very competitive against TC Play acoustic with less features (no looper, no harmonies). TC PA has a AUX input hich is probably stereo... so the inputs are nearly equal.
I think it is good for a duo or a solo artist that may want to connect an additional singer since it has the two inputs. It is also VERY small and would fit on a pedalboard easily. Those are the main selling points.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-21-2019, 04:49 AM
xomox xomox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
Default

I have a K&K mini in combination with K&K FantaStick under sadlle pickup wich i connect to Red Eye Twin preamp. For now it sounds good but will Stompmix give me better sound then Red Eye? i plan to add Yamaha Silent Nylon also to my live shows so StompMix4 would be also good option for that but... What if it doesnt give me good sound? And i must first Sell Red Eye before buying Stompmix (lack of money)

Is ith worth the trade?

TNX
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-21-2019, 08:33 AM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomox View Post
I have a K&K mini in combination with K&K FantaStick under sadlle pickup wich i connect to Red Eye Twin preamp. For now it sounds good but will Stompmix give me better sound then Red Eye? i plan to add Yamaha Silent Nylon also to my live shows so StompMix4 would be also good option for that but... What if it doesnt give me good sound? And i must first Sell Red Eye before buying Stompmix (lack of money)

Is ith worth the trade?

TNX
It could be cool if you could process both outputs simultaneously...
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=