The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 10-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I bought my Gibson F9 mandolin about a dozen years ago. It took my five years to finally give up trying to flip it. I got the books, learned the chords, and still can’t pull off playing it well.

Nonetheless, it’s a keeper.
Why not do what the late Wrecking Crew multi-instrumentalist Tommy Tedesco did - put together a custom-gauge set, restring it in drop-G tenor uke (GCEA low to high) or "octave Chicago" (DGBE), and enjoy...
Old 10-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Thanks. I hadnít considered that. After learning the proper chords and scales for Bluegrass, it would be an interesting switch.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Did you decide already which one to take ?
When you listen to records, which one do you like best ? Mandolin, mandola , octave mandolin, bouzouki, mandocello - they all have their very special magic. I would go for the one that touches you most.
I started with mandolin 30 years ago (guitar is still my main instrument) and added bouzouki, mandola, mandocello and octave mandolin later on - MAS ! I love them all, but when playing mandolin family instruments I would say that 80% mandolin, 15 % bouzouki/octave and 5 % mandola/ mandocello is the result.

Preamps:
Grace Felix, Tone Dexter, RedEye, Fishman Platinum, Pendulum SPS-1

more stringed instruments:
mandolin, mandola, mandocello, bouzouki, dobro, weissenborn, lap steel, 5-string banjo
Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I like the suggestion of listening to a lot of the music of any of the instruments that you are considering. Bought an instrument kind of on a whim because it sounded cool, but then got tired of playing it after a while, realized that the initial newness of the sound captivated me but after a bit didn't like it all that well. Now if I get the notion on picking up something different I listen to a bunch of youtube vids on it to make sure I don't tire of the sound easily.

Also, on mandolin, it would help to play a few, some have v necks, others have round necks, and the width of fretboard can vary. These things make a difference, even apart from the sound.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing mandolin for 40 yrs.
I recently bought a 50s Gibson
Tenor arch top. Very cool inst. Tuned
In "Irish tuning". It is basically a 4 string octave mandolin..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments