The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Default Humidipak longevity

Just wondering if there is a life expectancy on the D'Addario Humidipaks?

I've had a set in my case for almost 12mths, and they still feel soft and fluid inside.

My guitar lives in the case when not in use, and while the house has ducted heating/air conditioning, humidity is not controlled.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

If you keep them in a controlled environment like your case - and the air around the case isn't super dry - they will last a long time. You can trust they work if they still feel more like liquid rather than thick, gritty sand. That's about the time you should change them.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-15-2019, 07:16 AM

I've had mine for several years and they've stayed soft. My house is air conditioned but for a couple of weeks in the winter it gets dry.

I "refreshed" a couple of them by soaking them in distilled water for a couple of days. Then they seemed (to me) to be good as new again.

I used to use them year-round until I realized my house is generally around 50% humidity except for those few cold weeks in the winter when the heat is running full blast. Now I keep them in a sealed plastic container most of the year except during the dry times.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 AM

In live in dry Arizona and use Humidipacks in all of my cased guitars. During the dry Summer months I have to supplement them with a damp sponge in the case, to keep them soft. During the months I humidify the house, late Fall to early Spring, they stay soft without help. One thing I found out is they get the moisture sucked out of them quick, when placed in a new to me guitar/case that hasn't been humidified properly. Once they're up to proper humidity they stabilize to a normal routine. The Humidipacks do recharge and soften up when they're exposed to higher humidity, and last for a long time if you don't let them dry out. I have one set that's been in use for over 2 years, which is the first set I got.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the response everyone, most appreciated.
I was pretty sure everything was still good, just needed that confirmation from people in the know.
Thanks again!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion