The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Default Taylor 12 fret V braced ... any experience?

I've been playing a Taylor 322 12 fret (mahogany over blackwood) for a few years now, and love it. But the old curiosity is rising up to kill this cat. Has anyone out there played the newer V braced 12 fret Grand Concerts? How different do they sound ... louder, clearer, anything? I live in the back of beyond, so going to a store and trying one out isn't possible. Hoping the hive mentality will give me a starting point of reference.

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-14-2019, 12:58 PM

I have the same guitar as you, but the ce version (322ce 12 fret). I tried a few different v class GC's and didn't like them. You loose a lot of bass and it leaves the smaller body guitars with a bit of a nasal quality to the tone. I suppose it is better for the bigger body guitars because they start with more bass, but there is no way I'd trade my beat up 322 for a new v class one.

This is just my opinion, take it for what you paid for it. I'm sure somebody else will be around shortly to counter it.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:36 AM

I came close, the Taylor roadshow I attended a few months ago didn't have a 322 12 fret V, but they did have a 324 V I played for a few minutes. I was fairly underwhelmed with it's brightness. I've owned a few Taylor 12 frets I later sold and I marvel that Taylor seems hell-bent on removing what's really distinctive about 12 frets in general - their extra bass and mid-range.

Last year I tried the newest 812 V and was very impressed with how accurate the notes sounded higher up the neck and since I always play with a capo that appeals to me.

Like you, I hope to stumble on a 322 12f V to try out one day, but my current 322 12F is currently number one in the haram, and I don't see parting with it. I often wonder if Taylor knows what a unique model this is, as it offers a very satisfying "unTaylor-like" tone.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 AM

I've played a 322 v class several times and actually will play it again tonight. My Monday tradition is to stop at buckdancers choice before I go shoot pool next door.

It is a great instrument. One of only two Taylor's I've ever wanted to buy. They nailed it with this one. I've played the x braced 322 and like the v brace much better.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:40 AM

I will post a more detailed review of sorts tomorrow after a fresh listening tonight.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the info from everyone. Doesn't just have to be a 300 series, though they are remarkable ... more than willing to go up the food chain to a 500 or even 800 series.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 AM

While wearing good headphones, I've listened to quite a few V-braced vs. X-braced Taylor guitars online. I'm just not drinking the Kool Aid on this one.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
While wearing good headphones, I've listened to quite a few V-braced vs. X-braced Taylor guitars online. I'm just not drinking the Kool Aid on this one.
Meaning the Taylor Kool Aid or the V brace haters Kool Aid?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion