The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Default Went to the store to get music stand NGD

Yesterday, we went to my local music store. I just wanted a couple of music stands. But of course, while I was there, I'd see the new offerings. Especially the new slope shoulder models.

I stated to the dealer upfront, "I'm just here for music stands..."
He's sold us 3 guitars now so he was probably skeptical.

He grabs the Taylor 517 for me so I check it out. A few weeks ago I played a 317 at another store. Didn't do anything for me and kind of felt the same with this one. He did tell me that the 717 they had sold the day it came in. There must be something special about those and I still hope to try one some day.

The nice thing about not planning on buying a guitar is that it makes me more discerning and picky. Something will have to stand out for me to find myself pining for it.

Anyway, I see this pretty looking Eastman. I thought at first it was the violin varnish series. I played some chords and WHOAH! Immediately stunned by how good it sounded. Rich, loud, awesome midrange. Eastmans have impressed me before but still this surprised me. The price especially AND it's a limited series.

I played a Martin D17SS hoping it would ruin the Eastman for me and I could go on my way since it was double the price. But no, it didn't. Dang, what the heck?

Next thing I know, I asked about trades. I've had a Taylor Big Baby I was planning on listing for sale for a while but never got around to. Then I also decided that I could let go of my all Eastman ACGA-CE2 that was sort of the beater take out and play guitar.

Went home, mulled it over, couldn't get this guitar out of my head. Grabed the 2 guitars on the chopping block and brought them over. Dealer was very fair with the trade and I brought home this E1SS-CLA-LTD. Only 250 of them made. All solid wood, Adi top, Sapele back and sides. And I still downsized so it's all good!

Old 07-04-2019, 01:13 PM

Nice! Congrats. Eastman's are great guitars.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Man, you scored. Play it with joy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Gosh that’s just beautiful.
I’ve been interested in this guitar, a slope shoulder Eastman but the killer for me is no 1 3/4” nut. That’s a non starter for me unfortunately. It is so great looking I’ve got to go play one even if the nut size is not optimum for me.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:36 PM

beauty !! enjoy the new Eastman.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, congratulations!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:37 PM

Now that’s how to buy a guitar. Go with your gut.

I’m a big Eastman fan (E8OM). You got a great one.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Great looking guitar!!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

A beaut for sure. Congrats
Old 07-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Scolaguitar. It must be contagious. Same thing happened to me last week ..Checking out the DSS17. AND THEN the E1SS-CLA-LTD IS ACROSS THE WAY SMILING AND WINKING AT ME. Bam. Home it came . Just insane tone ,mid clarity punch with that nice round focused bottom not woofy at all.’.
Congratulations to us!!
Old 07-04-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
Scolaguitar. It must be contagious. Same thing happened to me last week ..Checking out the DSS17. AND THEN the E1SS-CLA-LTD IS ACROSS THE WAY SMILING AND WINKING AT ME. Bam. Home it came . Just insane tone ,mid clarity punch with that nice round focused bottom not woofy at all.’.
Congratulations to us!!
Yup! Great description of the tone. Wow, what a guitar! Seriously how can it be this good for so little?

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
Yesterday, we went to my local music store. I just wanted a couple of music stands. But of course, while I was there, I'd see the new offerings. Especially the new slope shoulder models.

I stated to the dealer upfront, "I'm just here for music stands..."
He's sold us 3 guitars now so he was probably skeptical.

He grabs the Taylor 517 for me so I check it out. A few weeks ago I played a 317 at another store. Didn't do anything for me and kind of felt the same with this one. He did tell me that the 717 they had sold the day it came in. There must be something special about those and I still hope to try one some day.

The nice thing about not planning on buying a guitar is that it makes me more discerning and picky. Something will have to stand out for me to find myself pining for it.

Anyway, I see this pretty looking Eastman. I thought at first it was the violin varnish series. I played some chords and WHOAH! Immediately stunned by how good it sounded. Rich, loud, awesome midrange. Eastmans have impressed me before but still this surprised me. The price especially AND it's a limited series.

I played a Martin D17SS hoping it would ruin the Eastman for me and I could go on my way since it was double the price. But no, it didn't. Dang, what the heck?

Next thing I know, I asked about trades. I've had a Taylor Big Baby I was planning on listing for sale for a while but never got around to. Then I also decided that I could let go of my all Eastman ACGA-CE2 that was sort of the beater take out and play guitar.

Went home, mulled it over, couldn't get this guitar out of my head. Grabed the 2 guitars on the chopping block and brought them over. Dealer was very fair with the trade and I brought home this E1SS-CLA-LTD. Only 250 of them made. All solid wood, Adi top, Sapele back and sides. And I still downsized so it's all good!

Congrats!
So, how does it sound compared to the DSS-17?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Any idea what CLA. Denotes in model designation, CLASSIC ? J35??
My take on this model is that it is noticeably lighter than my previous E10SS and E20SS . I think they scaled down on both top ,back and side plate thickness The bridge plate seems to be a bit smaller as well.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Great score. Congratulations.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous top! I'm happy for you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion