The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Had a Les Paul I hated, but kept because it was pretty. Finally sold it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-03-2018, 03:48 PM

I lack the space to store instruments I don't play. My studio has 6 guitar hangers that are filled with player guitars. My wife and I have a hard enough time finding wall space to display our art photographs without having to consider 'guitar art'.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Nope .................

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 PM

I just hung the Breedlove Oregon CE Myrtle on my wall. I looooooove looking at it. Makes me super happy. Never play it, because my Emerald X30 is superior in too many ways as a player.

I have a superbly beautiful koa/abalone Chinese Breedlove I bought specifically as wall art.

I have a Taylor PS16CE I bought purely because it's gorgeous artwork. I never play it.

Guitar wall art is AWESOME. It's 3D, it's craftsmanship, it's nature, it speaks to who you are. In a pinch you can even grab one and play it.

I got heavy into slingshots. The craftsmanship that goes into some of them is off the charts. The EXACT same battle ensued as we see here, with half the folks vehemently opposing the idea of "shelf queens" and the other half on board with slingshots as artwork.

If, like me, you are moved by them as art, keep it. I've tried selling off beautiful guitars in a frenzy, when I buy something new, but once I calm down I am REALLY glad I kept the ones I bought for their beauty. Because that's why I bought them, so that's why I keep them.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:25 PM

I recently traded in my 68 southern jumbo for a Jubal jumbo. The SJ had the best inlays and burst but it didn't do much good in my closet.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
How many of you have kept a guitar that you really don't play much or that sounds too much like another you have based on how it looks? That's what I'm battling right now. I just absolutely love the grain pattern on the back of this guitar and I fear I'll regret selling it if I do. The sound is amazing but I find I'm playing my others more. And I just bought other guitars that I like the sound and feel better and could use the money to pay off the new one and make room for it in the house. But that grain-- I can't let it go.

What to do, what to do?
Not even going to read the 3 pages of replies. Are you playing guitar for you and others to hear or watch? And how do you watch your guitar when you’re playing it? Can you turn it into art, maybe hang it permanently on your wall? And this piece of artwork, you can sell it to pay off the guitars you actually play and listen to?

Seems like a no brainer to me.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-03-2018, 11:37 PM

Guitar aesthetics are complex. The instrument not only produces art, but is itself a work of art. And there are so many fine points of the aesthetic that are nearly intangible: weight, provenance, age, rarity, sturdiness, smell, playability. The ability to remain in tune. For some, the right amount of bling.

For me, ultimately, the decision of what to keep and what to acquire has a lot to do with having the right instruments for various necessary functions. A stage guitar, a travel guitar, a big dread for big jams, an all-hog 000 for when I want to blend in and play rhythm in the background in someone's living room.

I'm not a collector. I haven't got much need for bling. I like having multiple guitars because I have multiple needs from my instruments. That said, I like it when they're gorgeous.

I'm hard-pressed to give advice for questions such as this. I wouldn't keep a guitar that I don't need, don't play. But that's just me.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I am almost always unimpressed by "stylized" guitars, preferring the classic designs from the days of yore... but that one is really cool!
Thanks. I'm having fun with it so far.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:36 AM

I keep guitars for two different reasons. Sound, or sentimental value, anything else goes.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

A guitar needs to appeal to me visually, but tone is king, and I would never purchase nor keep an instrument based on its looks. That said, if I were given or willed a guitar from someone special that I didn’t think sounded good, I would bite the bullet and keep it stored in it’s case for sentimental reasons.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Guest 33123

This thread is from 2018...
Old 07-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
This thread is from 2018...
I know. Has it expired?
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sylvia View Post
I know. Has it expired?
Lot of people giving advice to the OP. I don't think he's listening anymore. He's still around though.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Something is amiss with the guitar regardless of the grain, or its amazing sound, that transcends both of those features in a way so negative that you're not driven to play it.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I tend to rid myself of things that are pretty to look at, but not a lot of fun to be around.
brother, can I relate to this!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion