The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Luckily I don't have any acoustic hangers-on that I've kept based on looks. But I've got a couple more basses than I need, but can't part with.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Picked this up recently. Sounds great and plays great. I'd keep this one for looks alone.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 PM

It's obvious from your post that you'll be sorry when it's gone, so why sell it? You've got it in the house, so keep it for now. You can always sell it later if you have to. They say that life is short, and I doubt that they are lying.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

It's a personal call, but for me, instruments are meant to be played. If a guitar stops getting played, I'd rather sell it to someone who will play it. Aesthetics never comes into the decision process for me.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I kept a crossover that I liked the look and sound of probably much longer than I needed to. It was a beautiful instrument. I eventually decided to let it go as I really liked the steel string sound. I used the money to put towards another steel string guitar and have no regrets at all. I guess I am one of those folks who believes that a beautiful guitar should be played and the music it makes enjoyed.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

Picked this up recently. Sounds great and plays great. I'd keep this one for looks alone.
Wow, that’s a gorgeous instrument - is that one of the guitars listed in your signature? Are the back and sides African blackwood?

Just curious...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
How many of you have kept a guitar that you really don't play much or that sounds too much like another you have based on how it looks? That's what I'm battling right now. I just absolutely love the grain pattern on the back of this guitar and I fear I'll regret selling it if I do. But I just bought other guitars that I like the sound and feel better and could use the money to pay off the new one and make room for it in the house. But that grain-- I can't let it go.

What to do, what to do?
I never keep a guitar that doesn’t move me sound-wise. After the 10 seconds I spend admiring the wood on my guitars, I’m left with the hours and hours of unbeatable tone and playability.

Sell the looker and don’t look back.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Wow, that’s a gorgeous instrument - is that one of the guitars listed in your signature? Are the back and sides African blackwood?

Just curious...

Wade Hampton Miller
Not listed in my signature. I guess I forgot to do that for quite a while.

You have very good eyes. That's African blackwood. It's a Jonathan Razo OM with Bavarian spruce top.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM

I tend to rid myself of things that are pretty to look at, but not a lot of fun to be around.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

I am almost always unimpressed by "stylized" guitars, preferring the classic designs from the days of yore... but that one is really cool!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Is it a musical instrument, or is it wall art?
This is a good point. There's nothing wrong with it being an instrument, wall art or both. I have a couple of guitars that are worthless but have some sentimental value so they hang around as wall art.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Keeping guitars based on looks

I have one of those, it's also been fun to play after a neck reset last year.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:01 PM

never a consideration, if it doesn't sound good but looks good, and it's a guitar, what good is it? I suppose if you were in the business of renting props to film makers, you'd keep a good looking lousy sounding guitar, but that's the only circumstance I think would make sense.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
How many of you have kept a guitar that you really don't play much or that sounds too much like another you have based on how it looks? That's what I'm battling right now. I just absolutely love the grain pattern on the back of this guitar and I fear I'll regret selling it if I do. The sound is amazing but I find I'm playing my others more. And I just bought other guitars that I like the sound and feel better and could use the money to pay off the new one and make room for it in the house. But that grain-- I can't let it go.

What to do, what to do?
My Epiphone Hummingbird Pro to some degree, its close to mint condition and I like a guitar that looks nice, it makes me want to play it.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I have one of those, it's also been fun to play after a neck reset last year.

I well remember your thread where this beauty was made playable again.

As I said on that thread, I've owned some very nice vintage Favilla ukuleles but have never seen a Favilla guitar in the wild.

I saved this picture of yours and tucked it away into a file I have of gorgeous acoustics.

- John Shedd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion