The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird; Ooh, should have made the "t" smaller, eh

Yes, in the general hierarchy of things you probably should have, but I am glad you at least gave me equal billing to yourself...

[QUOTE=invguy921;4624566
Tom, Love it. I think those tuners are sweet also! Great call!
Thanks, Steve really likes them a lot and says they operate super smoothly. We like the addition of the pips...should really give them a great look, that was a surprise from Steve and I like them.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 AM

Hey there,

I have no pictures to post today, but just wanted to say something about the quality of individual Steve is. I found out through my sources that Steve was pretty sick yesterday, fever, aches, sounds like the flu of some sort. He stayed in bed in the AM, but by afternoon he was in the shop working alongside his fever on cutouts for my fret board inlay.

Anyone who doubts the devotion or pride or trustworthiness etc. of a custom builder just needs to look at a guy like Steve or I am sure all of those that frequent this forum and put themselves out there for critiques and potential criticism. These are great people who build from their hearts and hands to produce something that has their names on it (or in my case, his, mine, and Kathy's haha). With that name comes responsibility and level of workmanship that would not be seen from unnamed sources.

So here's to Steve and the other devoted builders as a quick way to share my appreciation for their work. I hope they see this note buried in my build thread, but if not, hopefully others will.

When I started this thread I promised Steve not to put him on a pedestal and I am sure this post will ranker him a little as I maybe have him on the first step on the way to the platform, but hey, couldn't help myself.

Thanks for reading.

Tom
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Default True dat!

Well put, Tom--I know my feelings and experiences with Joel have been similar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Anyone who doubts the devotion or pride or trustworthiness etc. of a custom builder just needs to look at a guy like Steve or I am sure all of those that frequent this forum and put themselves out there for critiques and potential criticism. These are great people who build from their hearts and hands to produce something that has their names on it (or in my case, his, mine, and Kathy's haha). With that name comes responsibility and level of workmanship that would not be seen from unnamed sources.

So here's to Steve and the other devoted builders as a quick way to share my appreciation for their work. I hope they see this note buried in my build thread, but if not, hopefully others will.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Steve's Pedestal

No problem putting Steve on a pedestal ... He assumes that position nearly weekly, only to preach what he practices. Get well soon, bro!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for the (too) kind words, and well wishes.
Feeling a bit better, but the long weekend may be coming at just the right time!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 AM

Well, the short holiday is over and Steve is mostly recovered from his set-back and some inlay work was done on the fb. The first pic is with no finish and the second is with a thin layer of paste wax.

I posted them both because it always simply amazes me how different and better the woods look with some finish to bring out their colors. It is like two different pieces.

No finish

Paste wax

Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tom,
I'm consistently impressed by the tasteful choices and masterful delivery on this build - you guys certainly work well together, it's a treat to follow along.
D.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Hi Tom,
I'm consistently impressed by the tasteful choices and masterful delivery on this build - you guys certainly work well together, it's a treat to follow along.
D.
Thank you so much. We have gone back and forth on this design a lot. Steve gets the credit if you like it. If not, blame me!!!!

Steve gets the details. Someone mentioned on another thread about details only you would notice on your guitar....that is probably true. For instance, here on the 12th fret instead of having the half diamond start on the inside of the BWB lines, Steve removed those and butted the half diamond up against the koa binding on the fb so it looks like that is kind of coming out of the koa binding and pointing inward towards the 12th fret. It looks so much nicer this way and matches how the diamonds sort of morph out of the sound port design as well where they seem to merge from the koa binding and grow into the actual port.

Thanks, DCN

Tom
Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Tom,

I just wanted to chime in with how impressed I am with how this is turning out. I love the details, like the way the diamonds spill off the fretboard at the 12th fret. Overall this is a beautiful build and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished guitar, and getting your playing impressions. Great work!

All the best,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Tom,

I just wanted to chime in with how impressed I am with how this is turning out. I love the details, like the way the diamonds spill off the fretboard at the 12th fret. Overall this is a beautiful build and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished guitar, and getting your playing impressions. Great work!

All the best,
Mike
Thank you very much for chiming in. The more the merrier. I think Steve is doing outstanding work and the more that see that the better it is. Thanks for your compliments on the build and the choices.

I am getting very anxious to see the final product as well, can't wait to see what the box will look like with the finish, the koa should explode not to mention the paua and the BRW. Man, I am excited.

I get so hung up on the aesthetics, I forget sometimes about the sound. I guess I have heard so many of Steve's guitars as well as read so many glowing reviews, that I am not even worried about that part, I know it will be outstanding. There is just a trust level there I guess.

Anyway, keep tuned, more updates to come as this fretboard is still on schedule to get just a little fancier yet!!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I continue to enjoy watching this masterpiece come together. It sounds like Steve and Ryan are a hoot to work with and they build an awesome guitar (will have to try one one day). And Tom, you are one funny guy! Having done this build thing a couple times myself I know the journey is so enjoyable and exciting. I really appreciate the opportunity to follow along. And after all this there is a gorgeous instrument to hold in your hands and make music! Congrats Tom! It is really looking good!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I continue to enjoy watching this masterpiece come together. It sounds like Steve and Ryan are a hoot to work with and they build an awesome guitar (will have to try one one day). And Tom, you are one funny guy! Having done this build thing a couple times myself I know the journey is so enjoyable and exciting. I really appreciate the opportunity to follow along. And after all this there is a gorgeous instrument to hold in your hands and make music! Congrats Tom! It is really looking good!
Thanks a lot. I agree with everything you said above especially the part about me!

I have said it before, you and I are having a couple of completely different yet equally beautiful guitars built right now!!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I agree with everything you said above especially the part about me!

I have said it before, you and I are having a couple of completely different yet equally beautiful guitars built right now!!!!
Have to say it is the first time I have had a build so close in schedule to another individual I know (you know what I mean). This is kinda special. And you and I (and Steve and Ryan and Mark) have given on-lookers a bunch of cool stuff to drool over. This makes for an "uber journey." Awesome!!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:37 AM

Default More fretboard work

While the box is out to Tony for finishing, work has continued on the neck. This has worked out for me quite well as it gives me something to think about and watch to kind of make the wait for the box easier to take...

Here is a pic after Steve inlayed little paua dots into each of the previously inlaid koa diamonds. Anyone following this thread had to know that was coming right?

Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
While the box is out to Tony for finishing, work has continued on the neck. This has worked out for me quite well as it gives me something to think about and watch to kind of make the wait for the box easier to take...

Here is a pic after Steve inlayed little paua dots into each of the previously inlaid koa diamonds. Anyone following this thread had to know that was coming right?

My goodness Tom, yes I guess if I had thought about it I would have expected the Paua, but I'm really tickled to see it happen. Very very pretty indeed. This guitar will be a treasure for you. I've also had experience with Tony's finish work which is spot on. Steve and Ryan are building you a SWEETER than SWEET guitar .

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop