The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Sunflower River Blues

I’m not a terribly experienced player so I have some problems figuring out some things. I have been working on some John Fahey stuff lately. Sunflower River Blues in particular. I was working in the original version that was recorded in 1969? I was able to get the tabs and know this version is in open “C”. But I really like the 1974 version which has a different beginning. The only tab I can find is in open “D”. This seems strange to me. Does anybody know if the versions are actually in different tuning?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

If this is the version you are talking about then either open C# or tuned open C and made open C# due to using a capo on first fret.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 PM

That is the version I am talking about.
Thanks for the guidance!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

I have CGCGCE in his "Best of" book.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have CGCGCE in his "Best of" book.
So both versions are in open “C”? Right?
I guess had me really confused is the tabs that I found for a version that is in open “D”. DADF#AD. After trying to play it, it just sounds wrong.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If this is the version you are talking about then either open C# or tuned open C and made open C# due to using a capo on first fret.

Still very confused. This is the version that I am working on but all the tabs that I can find for this version, with this intro, are in open D. This tune does not sound right in open D. Doesn’t sound bad. Just doesn’t sound right.
Guess I’ll work it out. Eventually!🥴
Old 07-19-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Think I Figured It Out

I think I have figured it out. At least I have figured out something that sounds right to me. It only took listening to that intro about a hundred times. It will probably be playing in my head for the next 6 months!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:08 PM

I know that this is an old thread, but this is definitely played in open C. You can play a passable version in open D (I discovered this many years ago when fooling around, and the fingering positions are actually not that dissimilar).

But the C tuning gives that much more airy and spacious Fahey sound. Open D is a little more "closed in" IMHO.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerbuster View Post
I know that this is an old thread, but this is definitely played in open C. You can play a passable version in open D (I discovered this many years ago when fooling around, and the fingering positions are actually not that dissimilar).

But the C tuning gives that much more airy and spacious Fahey sound. Open D is a little more "closed in" IMHO.
Yes in the video. There are different ways to tune to open C. This one sounds like C G C E G C.

The tab on the Fahey website shows D A D F# A D. That would like in the video with the capo on fret two (or the guitar just could have been
tuned D A D F# A D for some other performance).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-26-2019, 05:38 AM

Sorry, but I think that transcription on the Fahey site is not right.

Try playing this in different tunings and the only one which really works is CGCGCE. You can hear the difference, it has a much more spacious open tuning sound and was a favoured Fahey tuning.

There are videos of Fahey playing this and the fingering he uses suggests CGCGCE without a doubt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write