The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Question on a custom and education

Well I've done several searches on the topic, but wanted to get to ask my very own combination of questions. So here we go.

I am currently working overseas and brought my 'anything' guitar (414rce) with me. I've actually found I've been afforded much more time to play and experiement over here as we have no TV and a much less busy lifestyle and so have been contimplating two things.

First, I'm starting to put aside some money so, in 3 years or so, when I come back over a summer I can take delivery of a custom build. I've read all the recommendation threads (hundreds) and narrowed it down to a short list.

At the same time building a guitar is something I've always wanted to do since I first picked one up 15 years ago. I love the woods and shapes and lines of a guitar just as much (almost) as playing one. I've invested in a few books, but am wondering if there are any luthiers who could kill two birds with one stone.

Does anyone have any recommendations for luthiers who are in my range (mid $x,xxx to possibly $xx,xxx) that would also be willing to walk me through the building of my guitar? I may reveal my short list later on but don't want to bias replies.

Thanks

PS - If and when this happens you can expect 3 years of anxious anticipatory threads from me time to subscribe to AGF

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM

I can't give you an answer, but I must say I am contemplating the exact same thing. I have always loved the thought of making my own guitars. The only issue for me is travelling to the closest person who does that sort of thing (a good few hours) or enrolling on a course which lasts 11 weeks or so. I will never get the time off work.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Well who knows, maybe we'll dip our hands into the same pile of wood some day down the road

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Check with Kevin Gallagher of Omega Guitars. Every once in awhile he will hold a "class" to enable a future Omega owner the opportunity to participate in the build.

Paul Burner and his son Kyle were the last ones that I know of who did this, and it spawned a budding building vocation for them. I believe that they are now building their 5th guitar (Paul has a thread here in the Custom Shop section on the latest build), but I'm sure it pretty much started from that week or so they spent with Kevin, learning to build.

Don't know when - if ever - Kevin will do this again, but it certainly sounds like a really neat way to do what you're thinking of doing.

Aloha,

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Sergei de Jonge builds superb guitars and also teaches a course located on his property. Brian Galloup also builds great guitars and has a school as well.
Good luck,
Dan
Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM

William Cumpiano. Ask around and you'll get nothing but raves on his one on one classes.

http://www.cumpiano.com/
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 AM

Am I asking too much to get a builder I want to let me look over their shoulder? I have a short list of people I whose work I really like and honestly having the exact instrument I want from the builder I was is more important that learning right now, just wasn't sure if that's a normal thing, or something only a few luthiers do. I contacted Kevin from Omega a while back...I've been loving the father/son build threads, but I haven't heard anything. Oh well, time is one thing I have right now.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Jamin,
When you say "look over their shoulder", do you mean literally?
As in you want to watch the building of your guitar IN the luthier's shop?
Or, are you thinking of copious emails and lots of photographs?
I'm just trying to get a handle on your question, which almost sounds like two different requests?
Are you wanting a guitar built for you, or do you want to do the labor yourself?
Plenty of luthiers will email photos of the progress, and plenty will also hammer out with you every single detail of what you want.
The number thins quite a bit for teaching you to make your own guitar, and it becomes rarified for those who will forfeit a sale while they train their future competition.

If your short list is short enough, you can easily contact each luthier to get their reaction, no?

Best of luck,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Hi Stephen, it probably is two different requests. 1 - I want a custom build and 2 - I want to learn to build with an expert. The father/son build threads that have been rolling around are great examples of what I would love to do. As for future competition...I'm not sure my wife nor my GAS would ever allow me to limit myself to just making guitars

I think I will send an email to my 'short list', so here's to hoping. Hey, what's the worst that can happen? I get an inbox full of 'no' but still a dream guitar, right?

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Gotcha. That's sorta what I did.
Early 70's I really wanted two things:
1) to learn to build guitars
2) to own my own Gallagher.

Happy to relate that both things were accomplished, so it IS doable!

Again, best of luck,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 PM

In the (mid $x,xxx to possibly $xx,xxx) I would recommend xxxx..
Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Well when my only good chance to buy a new instrument comes once every 3-4 years and news of certain luthiers impending retirement...it might be the perfect storm to push the budget a little bit

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Custom build yourself

http://www.nickersonguitars.com/
Brad has a shop in Asheville, NC and I am sharing some space there and he is currently teaching - building with 2 students. He builds his right along side the students and you learn by doing. All 3 guitars are similar but all different. One is the students own design and Brad is very accommodating. I believe you can build a steel string or an arch top.
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 AM

You could give John Hall a call at Blues Creek Guitars. He holds classes on 'Building an Acoustic' & doing Inlay too. A former Martin employee, located in Pennsylvania, he's gone out on his own...His prices are reasonable for what you're going to be taking home w/ you when you're all done! Plus, he's a great guy. http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/classes.php

Robbie O'Brien in Colorado also has classes. I bought his DVD 'Building a Steel String Guitar' that I use as reference a lot. His approach is basic & he shows how to make an acoustic w/o too much confusion...recommended!
http://www.obrienguitars.com/?page_id=11
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...bert+O%92Brien

Last edited by Mad Rose; 12-06-2009 at 08:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop