The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Bridge pins

As a Guitar improvement project I replaced the plastic bridgepins of my Maton with bone pins. Had to sand them down until they fitted, keep in mind it was Harley Benton one size fits nothing.
The whole idea was just to be busy doing guitar things, never thought that the sound would really improve.
Guess what?! It DOES work! I ended up with a much clearer and crispier sound.
Thought I ‘d share it with you : don’t hesitate, get some bone pins, it puts a smile on your face!
Next time I ‘ll share with you the hard work on a TUSQ compensated bridge.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Where did you get your bone pins? I’ve had mixed results with brass if you’d wanna give them a go
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Yes Bone pins do make a difference. But don't stop with bone on just pins, try a Bone saddle as well.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:43 PM

I replaced the plastic pins with TUSQ and could hear an immediate difference.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Bones pins, bone saddle, bone nut. Always. Well, almost always....
Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 AM

Bridge pins can make an incredible difference. But different materials can produce different tonal affects. While anything is better than plastic and bone is a good starting place, there are other pin materials that might be even better. As an example, ebony has similar qualities as bone does, but is warmer and lusher sounding. Buffalo horn has more piano-like qualities. African Blackwood can tame excess highs. And what's more, there is nothing written in stone that says you have to use all the same pins across all six strings. JME
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-15-2018, 06:46 AM

I love to play around with different strings and different pins. I think ebony pins give a guitar a little more warmth.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenboom View Post
As a Guitar improvement project I replaced the plastic bridgepins of my Maton with bone pins. Had to sand them down until they fitted, keep in mind it was Harley Benton one size fits nothing.
The whole idea was just to be busy doing guitar things, never thought that the sound would really improve.
Guess what?! It DOES work! I ended up with a much clearer and crispier sound.
Thought I ‘d share it with you : don’t hesitate, get some bone pins, it puts a smile on your face!
Next time I ‘ll share with you the hard work on a TUSQ compensated bridge.
Been there, done that, got a 20 year old box full of pins (bone, TUSC, Ebony, FWI, FMI, Buffalo horn, brass, etc.), and yes, in general, good old bone is made for the job.

However, not always. My Authentic came with period correct plastic, many Authentics do, and a switch to bone was too dark/warm, albeit a very minor change.

Personally I have NEVER had a pin change make the huge differences some people claim. Pins are way down on the list of things that affect sound, not even close to say strings, string gauge, pick thickness/material, or nut/saddle changes.

FWIW high end boutique pins (FWI, FMI) I have a couple sets, to my ears are no better than bone.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Personally I have NEVER had a pin change make the huge differences some people claim. Pins are way down on the list of things that affect sound, not even close to say strings, string gauge, pick thickness/material, or nut/saddle changes.

FWIW high end boutique pins (FWI, FMI) I have a couple sets, to my ears are no better than bone.........
Bingo!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 AM

I bought a used D-18GE and hole #6 in the bridge is so big I have to add a wrap of plastic around the pin to get it to hold the ball end. Otherwise the ball end quickly slides up as soon as I let go and look towards the tuners to begin tensioning the string. I’m happy with the sound of the plastic but like the idea of sanding an overly fat pin down to get it to fit how it should. So I’ll check ‘em out. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I had put bone pins in my J-45 and although I didn't notice any difference in tone (could be age related) they really look nice with the abalone center. I like the look of ebony with or without abalone. I had bought a couple of sets of brass pins and used them on my laminated smaller guitars which did give a bit of a crisper sound to one of them, but they were a bit on the ugly side so I took them out eventually, lol.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Glad it worked out for you. I’ve always swapped plastic pin for bone with nice inlays. But just for a little bling. I’ve never noticed - or expected - much change in tone.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Got them at Thomann.de
Old 07-15-2018, 09:57 AM

And it is not a big difference, but noticable nevertheless. Which makes me happy!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 AM

As far as I can tell, if changing pins alters the sound it's due to the mass difference. If a guitar has a resonance that is 'on the edge' of interacting strongly with another, a small change in mass at the bridge can make an out sized difference, but otherwise you probably won't notice anything. That's why some folks hear a big change and others don't her any, and others again hear the opposite. No two guitars are the same, and it all depends on where they started out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion