The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Always great to hear when a premiere builder is back here at the AGF. We really appreciate your sharing of the builds. Beautiful work.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
You know, since RickS passed away - we've never really had more AGF gatherings in this area. I should really try and set something up, especially before I move. It would be nice to see the old gang again.

I recently read about you finding a guitar similar to Rick's Goodall - I believe it was that Engelmann/Walnut guitar he had. That was a really nice guitar - if I ever bought a Goodall that is exactly the combination I would get.
Actually it was a Sitka/Mahogany GC he had (maybe his first Goodall) "Wally" was his go to guitar and the one he always referred to as "Todd's guitar" when I was visiting. He told me if anything ever happened to him, it was mine. I tried to honor that when he passed by buying it from Sandy, but when I got it here, stacking up against my Mcknight and Charis, it just wasn't sounding they way I expected it to. I'm not a rich enough man to afford or justify lots of expensive instruments, so I sold it to a guy in Virginia who is still enjoying it as far as I know.

The Mahogany one had a very special timbre to it - and the Webber dread I have now is very similar, but louder/deeper of course. I think David's shallow body helps with that!

In regard to your move - I love the Asheville area. I've been looking at a tiny town well Southwest of that area near the Georgia border called Hayesville - looks like paradise to me....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hayesville.jpg (59.6 KB, 208 views)

Old 07-12-2018, 06:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hello Simon,

We've never met, but I feel as if I know you because Steve Sheriff often references you and your work, during our discussions here in the shop. I'm delighted for your renaissance, here on the forum, and will watch for your posts.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM

WOW!!! Those are truly gorgeous!!!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks everyone - for the compliments about my work - much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Not quite sure yet. I have family in the northeast but don't really want to move that far up. All of us would like to live closer together and are thinking about something in between -- like North Carolina. At the moment, something in the general region of Asheville is looking promising.

Seriously tho', anybody in the area - stop by and say hello. I'm building more guitars for my dealer network in the near future, so I should always have something here to play.
I'm about 45 minutes west of you in Lake Mary but haven't made any contact thinking you're probably busier than a 1-armed paper hanger with an itch. My family, beach-goers more so than I, are constant visitors of New Smyrna Beach. I'll contact you to set up a visit with my 19 y/o budding guitarist son.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 PM

LOL. Pitar,

I am glad I am not the only one who never sought out Simon because I assumed he was always swamped. I live about a half or away. Definitely going to stop by soon.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:30 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Welcome back! Will try to get up your way before you move when I get the kids to Cape Canaveral.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:52 AM

Beautiful guitars. Love the shape. Very modern and elegant in execution.
Russ Parker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop