The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose S1 more than enough for our big show

Our 'big show' (by our standards) has come and gone and it was a success. While the biggest venue or crowd we've ever played to, it was the biggest in importance as it was at a place that is a serious venue for music performance. This is the place that I thought we might 'need more' amp what caused me to buy the QSC K8.2 just in case. Turns out the S1 was more than enough. In fact, I started at my usual sweet spot of the halfway detent and the waitress had me turn down a bit. So more than enough for sure.

I'll still keep the QSC as I'm sure I'll need it someday and it's nice to have backup. And it's a great piece of gear. But in all honesty I have yet to have found a gig that the S1 has not been more than enough amp for with the caveat that the VE-8 is helping by boosting the signal. So once I again I say as long as you've got some signal boost of some type, the S1 can cover you with a lot of places from an acoustic standpoint.

As for the show - we were on fire. We were smoking hot. How do I know? We got to the second to the last song an the fire alarms went off! EVACUATE!! Turns out there was flooding the night before that finally made it's way to a bathroom fire alarm. Took almost a half hour to get the clear. We went back up and did one last song with our daughter who was visiting from NYC and going home today. Wish I had a recording of that but she was doing the recording for us.

Here's a short clip of a song we played.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM

Sounds great! And all that is coming from the single S1?
(I see what looks like big monitors in front of you. I assume
those are not in use.)

Well done. :-) _Roger
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Sounds great! And all that is coming from the single S1?
(I see what looks like big monitors in front of you. I assume
those are not in use.)

Well done. :-) _Roger
Yes, just the Bose. This venue does have a full PA system with pro gear and pro sound guys. This particular series we played is called the Lazy Sunday Busking series. It was created to plug a hole they had where they didn't have a sound guy so the performers just bring in their own gear and play through that. That's part of the reason I thought I'd need more for this room and bought the QSC, because I was used to playing the open mics there through all the big gear. But for our acoustic duo the Bose has proven time and again to be more than enough.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Nice Methos! I have a couple karaoke gigs this week, and for one I am taking my 2 Bose S1 Pros along to set up before the show and just see how well they cover the room with some background rock music. I'll try to record a little and share what it sounds like here. But I still plan on using my regular EV 15 inch tops for the actual show.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Nice! The question we're all wondering: did you grab the X20 and the S1 when the fire alarm went off... just in case?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I just used mine at a regular gig. I usually use my K8.2 but in the past I tried an AER C60 and Loudbox mini, both of which were too quiet. The S1 is great.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Nice! The question we're all wondering: did you grab the X20 and the S1 when the fire alarm went off... just in case?

Lol - I truly thought about it! Actually, just the X20 since it's a custom build. The S1 is easily replaceable but the X20 would take several months!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I just used mine at a regular gig. I usually use my K8.2 but in the past I tried an AER C60 and Loudbox mini, both of which were too quiet. The S1 is great.
This is a big testament with that statement.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:24 AM

What I found is that if you want to use the S1 with 1 or 2 guitars and 2 voices, it can handle it. But if you add an extra voice, keyboard, it becomes too crowded.
In those cases, you will be best served with the K8.2.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Methos, thanks much for this post. Do you happen to have a photo of the interior space of that venue, to show how big it is?

Regardless, really appreciate the field report and very well done on stage by the way.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
What I found is that if you want to use the S1 with 1 or 2 guitars and 2 voices, it can handle it. But if you add an extra voice, keyboard, it becomes too crowded.
In those cases, you will be best served with the K8.2.
I would say this opinion has merit. Fortunately for us it's just one guitar and two mics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Methos, thanks much for this post. Do you happen to have a photo of the interior space of that venue, to show how big it is?

Regardless, really appreciate the field report and very well done on stage by the way.
I do not have photos. It's not a huge place by any means. The stage is probably 25' wide and 20' deep. There's a small dance floor area up front directly in front of the stage. Then tabled seating. Facing the stage the bar is to the left and runs probably 30' long with a pool table area out behind that. The is a dedicated sound man booth with board that is dead center in the back that's probably 10x10'. If I had to guess the total footage of the room it's probably 80x80', maybe 100x100'. Next time I go there I'll try to get more info or some photos.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I do not have photos. It's not a huge place by any means. The stage is probably 25' wide and 20' deep..
Thanks so much for that detailed description--and no need to go to extra trouble. Anyway something (size-wise) like this?:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Venue.jpg (40.6 KB, 160 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks so much for that detailed description--and no need to go to extra trouble. Anyway something (size-wise) like this?:
Yes, but perhaps a little wider and less deep - more square than rectangle. However, we used to play a diner that was very similar to the one in your photo.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I would say this opinion has merit. Fortunately for us it's just one guitar and two mics.

I do not have photos. It's not a huge place by any means. The stage is probably 25' wide and 20' deep. There's a small dance floor area up front directly in front of the stage. Then tabled seating. Facing the stage the bar is to the left and runs probably 30' long with a pool table area out behind that. The is a dedicated sound man booth with board that is dead center in the back that's probably 10x10'. If I had to guess the total footage of the room it's probably 80x80', maybe 100x100'. Next time I go there I'll try to get more info or some photos.
Acoustics vary by the venue, but it is impressive that the S1 can handle a room that size. Any estimate on the number of people in there at one time?

Thanks for the regular updates.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 AM

Very nice!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Acoustics vary by the venue, but it is impressive that the S1 can handle a room that size. Any estimate on the number of people in there at one time?

Thanks for the regular updates.
Not a big crowd. The 4:30-6:30 time slot of the Lazy Sunday Busking series is a transition where you get the late lunch/early dinner crowd that wants to eat before the madness of the open mic that runs from 7 to midnight kicks in. I'd guess maybe 30 people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification