The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM

Default Bose S1 Busking Story: Success

Took the S1 with an AT hands free mic, my guitar, a Body Rez box and some cable today to my first test gig without power. It was a big area, the size of a good parking lot on a busy street with trucks.

Took me 5 min to set up or less, as opposed to the typical 30 min it often takes. I played it at half volume for the day, plenty loud enough for a 50 square yard venue! It sounded awesome, reverb on both vocals and guitar was perfect. The bass response was, very good, that is the part I feared most would suffer going to such a small unit.

Carrying it was a pleasure. My enter gig kit now fits into a guitar case and the S1. Ridiculous.

Definitely busking worthy. Only another busker knows the hell we go through fighting with back up delivery truck signals, big dump trucks, loud side conversations, generators making popcorn....and so forth. To rise above that clatter and then some at half volume....goodness!

So yep, S1 delivers.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 AM

Default Busker's Delight

Good to hear! Been waffling between the S1 Pro and Fishman Loudbox mini charge for a busking set up. Could you tell me what AT mic you used? Thanks, Rick
Old 07-06-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSTR View Post
Good to hear! Been waffling between the S1 Pro and Fishman Loudbox mini charge for a busking set up. Could you tell me what AT mic you used? Thanks, Rick
Wondering if its this one: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ex-headset-mic

It's the only headset dynamic mic I've found in my searches. Every other one requires phantom power (and hence a battery belt pack).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Took the S1 with an AT hands free mic, my guitar, a Body Rez box and some cable today to my first test gig without power. It was a big area, the size of a good parking lot on a busy street with trucks.

Took me 5 min to set up or less, as opposed to the typical 30 min it often takes. I played it at half volume for the day, plenty loud enough for a 50 square yard venue! It sounded awesome, reverb on both vocals and guitar was perfect. The bass response was, very good, that is the part I feared most would suffer going to such a small unit.

Carrying it was a pleasure. My enter gig kit now fits into a guitar case and the S1. Ridiculous.

Definitely busking worthy. Only another busker knows the hell we go through fighting with back up delivery truck signals, big dump trucks, loud side conversations, generators making popcorn....and so forth. To rise above that clatter and then some at half volume....goodness!

So yep, S1 delivers.
Canada has a great busking culture. Some places in the US equate it with panhandling. Last year around this time, we went to a Buskers' Rendezvous in Kingston, ON. Great fun!

That S1 is impressive.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Awesome - another S1 success story!! My initial Bose S1 review video is now up over 10k views. I get comments and questions from people around the world about it. We love our S1. I can't wait to see what future offerings Bose does around this line. We should start a 'wish list' for them!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Awesome - another S1 success story!! My initial Bose S1 review video is now up over 10k views. I get comments and questions from people around the world about it. We love our S1. I can't wait to see what future offerings Bose does around this line. We should start a 'wish list' for them!
On the Bose forum there is a feature request thread started surrounding the S1.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
On the Bose forum there is a feature request thread started surrounding the S1.
I was wondering about that!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSTR View Post
https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/w...dea/index.html
Old 07-08-2018, 06:41 AM

Since this thread has some experienced buskers, maybe you all have an answer to my issue. Does anyone know of a battery pack that would power a Shure wireless receiver? I have the Shure BLX system and would love to use it when I am in a battery only situation with my S1.
BTW, the S1 is very resistant to feedback with my wireless headset mics.
Thanks!
davidc
Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 AM

Default Power Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Since this thread has some experienced buskers, maybe you all have an answer to my issue. Does anyone know of a battery pack that would power a Shure wireless receiver? I have the Shure BLX system and would love to use it when I am in a battery only situation with my S1.
BTW, the S1 is very resistant to feedback with my wireless headset mics.
Thanks!
davidc

Good to read you had success with your portable set up , it's great when all you efforts , plans and research work
all come together .

I''m thinking like you and getting it as light as I can .

https://www.amazon.com/FLOUREON-Powe...79441983&psc=1

There are many others like it at less cost that do not power as long as this one , but they may work in your particular situation .

I have several other pieces to add to this when I'm really ambitious and , one requires a A.C. source , it's my Roland GR33
guitar synthesizer . A.C.'s needed to trigger the midi CV ( Controlled Voltage to GR synth guitar module ) from my midi guitar .

I also run a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X / BeatBuddy / Source Audio Hot Hand 3 for my wah wah expression pedal
/ Source Audio programmable EQ and a Boss DS-1 .

This Power Bank is running all that and keeps up with the Mackie FreePlay's 10 hour lithium . I can also run a
small electric guitar amp .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 07-09-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

Good to read you had success with your portable set up , it's great when all you efforts , plans and research work
all come together .

There are many others like it at less cost that do not power as long as this one , but they may work in your particular situation .

I have several other pieces to add to this when I'm really ambitious and , one requires a A.C. source , it's my Roland GR33
guitar synthesizer . A.C.'s needed to trigger the midi CV ( Controlled Voltage to GR synth guitar module ) from my midi guitar .

I also run a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X / BeatBuddy / Source Audio Hot Hand 3 for my wah wah expression pedal

This Power Bank is running all that and keeps up with the Mackie FreePlay's 10 hour lithium . I can also run a

EZ :

HR
that's pretty cool would that power a small mackie mixer
for the length of a gig say 4 hrs say two mics and two guitars??
Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

all come together .

EZ :

HR
I'm a little leery of an ad that states
Quote:
Please keep this device on the place where the hypophrenia, children and the person who are civil action competence can’t be reached

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Thumbs up Power Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
that's pretty cool would that power a small mackie mixer
for the length of a gig say 4 hrs say two mics and two guitars??

Yes it would and then some . It should give you hours of power . So far it's lasted longer than me heh heh heh .

Phantom powered mics & active electronic instruments shouldn't tax it that dramatically .

At the Amazon page at the lower part of that page you can ask questions . They answered mine on issues of what this
can run and for how long , this is where you will get a solid idea of what it can do for you . Just give them the power
requirement needed in your particular situation .

EZ :

HR

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 07-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Exclamation Power Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I'm a little leery of an ad that states

All power sources are potential hazards . This obviously is not intended for children to operate .

We have BBQ's with children present - adult supervision is what it's all about , and yes there are plenty of
adults who shouldn't BBQ , walk and chew gum .

It's been seen on the news - lithium ion batteries in :
  1. laptops
  2. smartphones
  3. e cigarettes
  4. 1 Tesla car

Catching fire and/or exploding into flames

I use common sense - works for me .

EZ :

HR

Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Hey thanks HR- this looks like an excellent solution. I ordered a Behringer 1002B battery operated mixer. The only power I would need would be for the wireless headset receiver and IEM transmitter. Even if I use a wired headset it would need phantom power and some require 48 volts.

Yes, the S1 with and also without using the VE8 pedal worked great.
One very helpful advantage when using a headset wireless mic is that the S1 is very resistant to feedback. My AER 60/3 screams whenever I get near it with the headset mic. So does my Fishman LB Performer and Artist.

What was really cool is that I could place the amp where I wanted and not just where power was available. Playing again at the beach on an outside patio next week. Will use the S1 and try a couple of different approaches this time, but I know it can handle it. the patio is about 14 x 40 and opens to the sidewalk with lots of foot traffic.

Thanks to all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification