The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Praising my T20 again!

Hi all,

I haven't posted in awhile. I just wanted to reiterate what a special instrument my Emerald T20 is.

I'm a little like Evan. I've been through so many trying to find the right one for me: Blackbird Nylon Rider, Super OM, Lucky 13 (steel and nylon), and a Rainsong dread. None of them worked for me. Plus, my fingers are big, so I always need custom 1 7/8" nuts. (That's probably why the Rainsong didn't work...they don't do customs.)

Anyway, the T20 dread I finally got from Emerald is out of this world! I got red cf with electronics and a wide nut. I play it all the time and get loads of compliments at church. I can't put it down. My only other guitars now, a koa GS mini and a little Martin, never get played. I'll probably sell them and get another cf...

Next is probably going to be a nylon...I'd love a Rainsong parlor...but they won't make a wide nut...
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Interesting. I’m sure we’d all like to see some pics of your T20. Please post if you can. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one. I seem to recall having seen a T10 which I think is a small center soundhole model? Might yours be a larger version of that?

Most of all, glad you’re enjoying it and posted about it.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Emerald had a "traditional" line for a little while. Loved that direction since I'm pretty traditional, guitar-wise...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...672328f3ab.jpg
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementarymusic View Post
Emerald had a "traditional" line for a little while. Loved that direction since I'm pretty traditional, guitar-wise...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...672328f3ab.jpg
That’s pretty much what I had in mind’s eye, and if I recall correctly, is a full-size version of the T10. Very nice, traditional look. Thanks for posting the pic. I assume this model is not in standard production and that it was a one-off that fortunately, Emerald is very flexible to offer.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM

Yep. They are incredibly kind and that was a custom. Although it was part of the line up for a brief time...
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Very cool! When you just have to have a dreadnaught.

I can't tell from the photo how soft the curve is on the edges on that. Traditional, with a carbon fiber twist.

-----

I enjoyed reading through the Emerald blogspot blog, after doing a search on the T20.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 04-17-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: searched for more info
Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Certainly, Emerald is doing very well with their standard and custom line-up based on the promoted models which maybe doesn’t include this T20 model (I’m really not sure), and although the traditional look is not what I’m personally wanting in a CF, it seems that Emerald would do well by keeping this particular model in the forefront as there are likely many like you who would have an interest in it.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 AM

I believe Alistair did a write up about it when he dropped the traditional line. I think he said he wanted to be true to himself as a creator and that he's not really a traditionalist. I'm INCREDIBLY thankful that he made this for me after the line ended... It is everything I had been looking for...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Guest 928

Elementary;

I was wary of the Rainsong Parlor nylon string because of the somewhat-narrow nut width. However, I felt compelled to give it a run and found that I adapted and that it's a very nice guitar. Like your T, the Parlor is built along traditional lines. If you get a chance you should try one. As a production instrument they can be found at a reasonable price on the used market.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementarymusic View Post
I believe Alistair did a write up about it when he dropped the traditional line. I think he said he wanted to be true to himself as a creator and that he's not really a traditionalist. I'm INCREDIBLY thankful that he made this for me after the line ended... It is everything I had been looking for...
I’ve been dealing with Emerald/Alistair since 2012 and I totally get his perspective and vision. That said, and I’m really no one to question his successful business model, but it’s not like he’s overly involved with Emerald banging out every Opus model, so it seems that one prominent traditional CF guitar in the lineup could actually expose traditionalists to either that guitar, or the range of all that Emerald offers. Just thinking out loud.

Sorry to take the discussion off on a tangent. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...to keep it “elementary” about this beautiful T20.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Hey Evan,

Yeah...I love the looks of the parlors. But I'm pretty much set on 1 7/8" nut widths. I've accommodated before and I've never found a narrower nut to work for me. Rainsongs are perfect for me, since they're very traditional looking and I love black...but they refuse to make customs. I've asked multiple times. I would take any of their lineup in a 1 7/8" nut...
Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Guest 928

Sounds like you need to contact Ireland.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:38 PM

Never had at a T20...sigh...my life can be so incomplete sometimes...sigh
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

Really Mr. K? No T20? You must be sleeping at the wheel. You know that the Captain could court marshal you for that omission. I attribute the slippage to youth. Since you are apparently my nephew, I'll forgive you, but holy moly, pay attention!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Really Mr. K? No T20? You must be sleeping at the wheel. You know that the Captain could court marshal you for that omission. I attribute the slippage to youth. Since you are apparently my nephew, I'll forgive you, but holy moly, pay attention!
My authority is to marry couples for the duration of the cruise - a court martial requires... a court. Out of my jurisdiction.

i think it is great that Kramster hasn't owned one of EVERY model carbon fiber guitar ever made - this gives him a goal to work towards, something to live for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber