The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Last time I heard, Jimmy lives on Long Island, the Hamptons to be exact, so that 550 mil doesn't go as far as it would go somewhere else

I'm going to ''Take me to Margaritaville'' in May. Should be a blast!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I've only seen Jimmy Buffet one time, but it was pretty cool. A long time ago-1982- and we were on our honeymoon in Key West. Went to the Chart Room at the Pier House about 1 am and some guy got up and started playing with the band. Played a few songs. There was only 5 or 6 of us in the bar. After he sat down at the bar, someone told me that was Jimmy Buffet. I went over and talked to him for a few minutes. Really nice guy, and a great honeymoon memory.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post

The guitarist, Peter Mayer has done a number of solo projects and is an amazing musician. But he makes his house payment by being part of Jimmy's band!

I've got all of Peter's solo stuff - he writes GREAT songs and plays as good as almost anyone out there. Romeo's Garage, Stirrin' up the Water and the Peter Mayer Group Under Your Spell double live CD's are my favorite.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've got all of Peter's solo stuff - he writes GREAT songs and plays as good as almost anyone out there. Romeo's Garage, Stirrin' up the Water and the Peter Mayer Group Under Your Spell double live CD's are my favorite.

Amen! Great to see another fan.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I think Jimmy Buffet is very rich, but not nearly as rich as his uncle Warren. It often seems the "nack" for making money and wealth runs in families. As long as it's legal, more power to them.

I checked this out and Jimmy Buffett is not related to Warren Buffett. They even took a DNA test to find out for sure. They are friends, and apparently, Jimmy calls Warren , "Uncle Warren." This might have caused some confusion and spread a rumor that they are related.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I checked this out and Jimmy Buffett is not related to Warren Buffett. They even took a DNA test to find out for sure. They are friends, and apparently, Jimmy calls Warren , "Uncle Warren." This might have caused some confusion and spread a rumor that they are related.
I am trying to picture Warren in baggy cargo shorts, flower print short sleeve shirt, straw hat and flip flops, riding a rusty old Schwinn balloon tire along the beach

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I guess it goes to show one really can't trust what they read in the newspapers, or on-line news outlets, even the big name ones, these days.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you believe the story of Adam and Eve, not only is Jimmy Buffett related to Warren Buffett, but so are all of us related to both of them - one big happy family.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
If you believe the story of Adam and Eve, not only is Jimmy Buffett related to Warren Buffett, but so are all of us related to both of them - one big happy family.

Tony
I'll believe it when I show up in either of their wills.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Sloppiest live performance by a band charging big bucks I've ever seen though.
I've seen Mr. Buffet and his bands in concert, old, new, and in between over the years.

I've come to the conclusion that the "slop" is very well choreographed to enhance the feeling that the band and the audience are all at the same laid-back party, just having some fun together.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Tony

Nope, I'm not related to any Adam, Eve, Jimmy or Warren...so I won't be expecting any windfalls soon...

But I've sure got my big happy family here at home!

Last edited by Denny B; 02-13-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
My favorite radio tune of Jimmy Buffet's is "Come Monday". I was never interested in the whole beach bum thing. However, regarding Jimmy Buffet getting rich, he makes a lot of people feel good, and in return, they are more than willing to pay him for that.

This is how things are supposed work in our economy - make or do something that people want and are willing to pay for, and the larger number of people willing to pay, the more money you make.

I can't begrudge anybody for being successful at whatever they do, as long as it is legal. We have everything from pet rocks to very sophisticated electronic goodies, proving that success can happen for people with most any product with the right marketing behind it.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I think he has a genre' that meets a lot of people where they are.
Guys like Jimmy are talented for sure but it's more about the lyrics and the down home delivery than the songs ...and stage presence
I think anyone of us could list a number of artists like him. He certainly struck a chord that continues to resound.
"Come Monday" is my favorite of his and reminds me a little of something Jimmy Webb might write.
”Come Monday” is my favorite Buffett song as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Ween did a great parody of a Jimmy Buffett like tune, called "Bananas and Blow."

Captures the Buffett spirit precisely. "Stuck in my cabana/Livin' on bananas and blow."

1970ish Harmony Buck Owens American
2012 Martin D1AXE
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Last time I heard, Jimmy lives on Long Island, the Hamptons to be exact, so that 550 mil doesn't go as far as it would go somewhere else...
I thought he lived in Aspen where it doesn’t go real far either. I heard that the secret to being a millionaire in Aspen was to go there with $1 million and don’t stay too long....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Considering what he's done, I don't begrudge him his money. I've been to two of his concerts and enjoyed them a lot.

I will say though, I much prefer his old songs. I feel like a LOT of his newer songs, let's say in the past 10 years, are nowhere near as interesting or humorous. His albums still move like crazy, so more power to him, but I wouldn't go see him perform his new music now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic