The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Default Sub $1,000 with 2 3/8 spacing

I want to try out a 2 3/8 string spacing guitar, with 25.5-ish scale length, and 1 3/4 or wider nut width.

I bought a Recording King a couple years ago to try out 2 5/16 spacing. Does anyone know of a guitar under $1,000 when new (so that I can buy it used for less) that has these specs?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-14-2018, 12:14 PM

None that I’m aware of. Recording Kings have a few with 2 5/16” (RP06 for example) but that is as wide as they get. You might be able to find a Waterloo that is pretty beat up for $1000 though. Most (all?) have 2 3/8” saddle spacing.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:58 PM

Yeah-I haven't seen any either. What I've wondered is how playable the neck is for fret-hand thumb wrap-arounds.

I'm in line for a Halcyon guitar, and I'm thinking I want to change my order to a wider string spacing, but I'm not sure if 2 5/16 or 2 3/8 would be better. I'll probably go with 2 5/16 if Ed Bond can do that for me.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I want to try out a 2 3/8 string spacing guitar, with 25.5-ish scale length, and 1 3/4 or wider nut width.

I bought a Recording King a couple years ago to try out 2 5/16 spacing. Does anyone know of a guitar under $1,000 when new (so that I can buy it used for less) that has these specs?

Thanks,
Matt
2 3/8 is my much preferred saddle spacing. The only sub $1K guitar I know with that spec is the now out of production Epiphone EF-500 series. I've had several of them over the years and still own and use one, a recent RCCE. I would think there'd be a lot of them on the used market, they were made for quite a while in various versions.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
2 3/8 is my much preferred saddle spacing. The only sub $1K guitar I know with that spec is the now out of production Epiphone EF-500 series. I've had several of them over the years and still own and use one, a recent RCCE. I would think there'd be a lot of them on the used market, they were made for quite a while in various versions.

Fran
I would also check out the Guild GAD-30s.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanks Fran and OMsong. I will check out the Epiphone and Guild that you recommend. I'm glad to hear there are some affordable options with 2 3/8 string spacing.

Matt
Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

Fran
I came across your YouTube channel this morning while I was looking for demos and reviews of the Epi EF-500. Very nice playing.

Matt
Old 07-16-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks, Matt. Your mention caused me to look through my videos, I hadn't realized how many of them were done with the various Epi EFs. I took a few minutes and built a playlist of the videos made with those guitars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyG...Ja8Mz9SrKODKPV

There are four different guitars in those clips, one mahogany/spruce non-cut and three rosewood/cedar cutaways. Most of the clips were shot plugged in but there are a few that were captured acoustically with various mics.

Fran
Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 PM

I would spend the money on a scalloped braced recording king, eastman or whatever you have a budget for then add $100-$200 to have a Luthier fill the bridge pin holes and drill new ones (this is typically the way it is done) or they (less often) will change the bridge plate. This could put you in a nice schoenberg RP2-626 or the "Cutaway" and have the spacing you want with all the other wonderful appointments that come with it and you dont need a Marquis
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
I would spend the money on a scalloped braced recording king, eastman or whatever you have a budget for then add $100-$200 to have a Luthier fill the bridge pin holes and drill new ones (this is typically the way it is done) or they (less often) will change the bridge plate. This could put you in a nice schoenberg RP2-626 or the "Cutaway" and have the spacing you want with all the other wonderful appointments that come with it and you dont need a Marquis
That's a great idea. I once bought a Recording King Eric Schoenber design on eBay and sent it back because the saddle was lifting. I guess I should have kept it and had the saddle replaced.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 PM

One thing to watch for is the neck width at the 12th fret. Many guitars with 2 1/4 or less at the saddle have a 12th fret neck width of less than 2 1/4 which will make it tricky to widen the string spacing at the saddle.

Fran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion