The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

folks
thank you all for the continued advice.
here is what I've found out so far. there is an amount of "white noise" at the volume detent of this Bose unit. As you progress it gets thicker-at 3/4 of the control, it is really heard.
Plugged in, the 522 Taylor has the most abundant noise, the Gibson and Weissenborn (soundhole LR baggs unit)have less.

I will get new batteries for the Taylor and Gibson as I have no idea how old these are-that may solve the taylor increased noise.

The selector switch for the tonematch on the second channel is definitely messed up-very difficult to move and it slides thru the guitar detent and you have to nudge it back after you land on the mike setting.

both channels exhibit the same amount of "white noise".

cable changes make no difference.
called sweetwater(my "home shop" for the last few years since no shop is local for over an hour-and those shops carry very selective older stock), this morn, they patched me over to the tech guys, we talked, told him what I had checked, what I had done, and he said "we are sending you another unit, that S1 should not be having that noise, and the selector switch should detent smoothly and correct."

so another unit and a return shipping label are in process.

I will say, the weissenborn sounds fantastic thru this S1-irregardless of the noise chatter, that instrument alone would be worth having one of these for. Can't wait to get one that is working correct, I think its going to be a neat addition to my music for sure.

the Taylor and Gibson both sound great thru this S1-ignoring the white noise. nothing sounds thin or metallic, just very nice louder acoustic guitar.

will add feedback when the new unit arrives.

d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-03-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Looks like you've got most of your answers so I'll chime in on the few similar issues I encountered in my time getting up to speed on this amp:

I, too, had a rather loud hum on my S1 and after removing/replacing various pieces of gear I found the culprit was the short, very cheap pedal patch cables I was using between the effects pedals. One I replaced those the hum went away and it's now very quiet. There's a little 'hiss' when turned way up but I get that with every amp I've ever owned.

I've never mic'd any instruments so can't comment on that. You said initially you had the reverb up at halfway - that is way too much for me on my setup. I don't even make it to 25% and it's too much for me but everyone likes different amounts of reverb. I just wonder if that is contributing to your noise level.

Glad you're swapping out for a new one - that switch issue is not right. Can't remember if there was anything else I can comment on.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 PM

When you plug your guitar in and hear the noise, try turning the volume all the way down on your guitar. The noise that is left is the part that is coming from the S1. The noise that goes up and down with the volume on the guitar is from the guitar.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Looks like you've got most of your answers so I'll chime in on the few similar issues I encountered in my time getting up to speed on this amp:

I, too, had a rather loud hum on my S1 and after removing/replacing various pieces of gear I found the culprit was the short, very cheap pedal patch cables I was using between the effects pedals. One I replaced those the hum went away and it's now very quiet. There's a little 'hiss' when turned way up but I get that with every amp I've ever owned.

I've never mic'd any instruments so can't comment on that. You said initially you had the reverb up at halfway - that is way too much for me on my setup. I don't even make it to 25% and it's too much for me but everyone likes different amounts of reverb. I just wonder if that is contributing to your noise level.

Glad you're swapping out for a new one - that switch issue is not right. Can't remember if there was anything else I can comment on.
thanks Methos
I've watched/read your threads on your Bose adventure and gleaned a lot from them.
thank you for this info. I did end up cutting back the reverb a lot after the first night, I think for the Taylor only around 15%. The Gibson has that dry tone, very clear, so I put around 25% on it, very little treble on either(and I have the treble cut fully on the taylors onboard control).

thanks again, and please add any other info you think of.

d
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
When you plug your guitar in and hear the noise, try turning the volume all the way down on your guitar. The noise that is left is the part that is coming from the S1. The noise that goes up and down with the volume on the guitar is from the guitar.
thanks for you reply.
I have turned the volume totally off with both guitars and
the white noise is there with the Bose volume(both channels) at the halfway detent. as you turn the volume control up(with both guitars volume cut fully)the white noise increases as I mentioned. very noticable at around 75% of volume. noisy, sounds like an old TV when it would drop the connection.

I think the new S1 is arriving this week, will let everyone know what happens.

thanks again
d
Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Daryl? What ever happened with that Bose S1? Did you get the new one? Was the issue rectified? Do you like that amp and does it now sound clear without that hissing sound that was so predominant?

Inquiring minds, and all that...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

hey folks
delayed update, work has been crazy and I had a mandolin in for some major work.

the new S1 arrived within 2 days from sweetwater, they sent a return label for the first one. the new unit is excellent. quiet as can be. all the switches work fine and move easy and detent. so there were clearly some issues with the first unit.

I did put a new battery in the Taylor 522 and that removed the "white noise" it was emitting when plugged in(versus the dead quiet of the Gibson J-35).

the taylor sounds great thru the S1, the weissenborn sounds heavenly.

thank all of you for the answers and suggestions. I am currently on a wait list with sweetwater for when they receive the backpacks-that will be extremely useful for what I have planned.

really loving this neat little gizmo, and my entry into the electrified world-lol

d
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear it all worked out. Sweetwater is a class operation - sounds like they took good (and timely) care of you!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Yes, very glad to hear it worked out well. Sweetwater is great to deal with for sure.

You'll be very pleased with the backpack when you get it. I can now carry everything in that and the guitar gig bag. Love it!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Excellent! Happy to hear that all worked out well with that Bose unit... have fun with that little dude as you enter the "amplified world of acoustic guitar"!

nice to hear another great customer service story about Sweetwater, as well.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification