The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-21-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Sunday Treat

The X20s get new strings tomorrow

My first experience with Newtones - I still can't quite believe they can make me a custom 7-string set, and ship them to me from the UK for $15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0348D.jpg (59.2 KB, 133 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-21-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:33 AM
Guest 928

You'd think the shipping along would be more than that.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Well now I wonder what the real cost of strings is.

I am curious about that 7 string. My experience with owning two 7 string guitars (not at the same time...) is similar to my experience with owning two 12 string guitars (again, not at the same time).

I found that I just didn't seem to truly have the desire to pursue playing them often enough to justify owning them. The interest simply wasn't there as I had thought it would be. In both cases (7 and 12 string), I got one, it sat around, so I sold or traded it. Then several years later, I would reconsider that just maybe I could go in for one again, and the same thing happened. So I decided with both that they just weren't for me.

A 7 string ought to be great for solo jazz chord melody styling with the extended bass capabilities, but for whatever reason, I just didn't seem to take to it. Oh well.

I will be curious to read your experiences with the Newtones.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

A 7 string ought to be great for solo jazz chord melody styling with the extended bass capabilities, but for whatever reason, I just didn't seem to take to it. Oh well.

Tony
Or you could do an unplugged set of KoЯn tunes
Old 03-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Or you could do an unplugged set of KoЯn tunes
The first 7 string I had was an electric that was modeled after whatever somebody in Korn uses. Since I am not familiar with the group myself, I didn't know what that meant. It was a nice guitar though.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

All dressed up, and no place to go...

No qualms about going with the D'Addario Nickel Bronze on the 6-string again - they really suit the guitar well.

First impression of the Newtones on the 7-string are very favourable also - they feel good under my fingers, and sound lovely. Very well-balanced across the set.

It will be interesting to see how long they last - the NBs last an indecently long time for a non-coated string.

Cordoba Stage

Old 03-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well now I wonder what the real cost of strings is.
Curiously enough, Newtones cost more in their country of origin than they do here, due to the 20% VAT in England.

Quote:
I am curious about that 7 string. My experience with owning two 7 string guitars (not at the same time...) is similar to my experience with owning two 12 string guitars (again, not at the same time).
Well, one of these days, Tony, you will get to see and play both of them. Let's hope that's not too long. I actually sold a Rickenbacker 12-string electric to help finance my first Emerald, as I came to the realization that I was more interested in just owning it, rather than actually playing it. So far I'm getting way more satisfaction from the X20-7.

Quote:
I will be curious to read your experiences with the Newtones.
I'll report more when I've had more time with them.

Cheers,
David
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Curiously enough, Newtones cost more in their country of origin than they do here, due to the 20% VAT in England.

Well, one of these days, Tony, you will get to see and play both of them. Let's hope that's not too long. I actually sold a Rickenbacker 12-string electric to help finance my first Emerald, as I came to the realization that I was more interested in just owning it, rather than actually playing it. So far I'm getting way more satisfaction from the X20-7.

I'll report more when I've had more time with them.

Cheers,
David
Sounds good David. When we get past the corona virus, we can PM and work out a meeting. I now have TWO Sables and the two Tourings, and am planning to go entirely carbon fiber as I sell off my wood instruments. In my opinion, carbon fiber guitars, all makers, have been ready to hold their own for some time now.

I like to keep one for standard tuning, and one for open tunings. The Touring guitars make very nice travel guitars, but more importantly, will enable me to continue playing long after I can no longer manage a full size guitar.

Though I have always liked the "chime" of a Rickenbacker, I could never deal with that narrow string spacing, so I have never owned one. It has been years since I was in England, but if I recall, that VAT was built into the prices one would see there in a shop. It was a double-whammy when I would buy something such as a wool sweater for my wife, and then have to declare it coming back into the US. I suppose when a business over there exports to the US, they can discount the VAT.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber