The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2023, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Emerald X20 (My First Carbon Fiber Guitar)

NGD! I took advantage of the Emerald 25% off sale and pulled the trigger on an X20 the first day (?) of the sale. I placed my order on July 13th with standard/free shipping. I received it today Monday, July 24th in just 11 days! That is impressive considering it came all the way from Ireland to Tucson, Az.

I opted for the model with Graphtech Ghost Piezo bridge with K&K pickup. My primary goal was to add a cutaway acoustic for amplified gigging that looks great, feels good, plays buzz free and sounds natural amplified.

A Martin DC-18E cutaway with Baggs Anthem pickup has been my main gigging guitar for the past 5 years. It is superb and I love the sound. I'm a bit of a tone snob when it comes to amplified acoustic tone and I share that because the quality of amplified sound on my first brief demo the X20 through my Bose L1 Pro 8 Tower was simply outstanding!! In a word: "Musical!"

The X20 sounds really good acoustically as well. The playability is superb with low action and no buzzes. My traditional acoustic guitar shift during the summer monsoons and in the winter when the central heat runs a lot. That is always a source of frustration. I can't wait to see how stable the X20 remains during transitional climate fluctuations.

So yeah, I'm in the honeymoon phase but I think this guitar is a home run. It checks all the boxes: Cutaway, great amplified tone with onboard controls, buzz free playability with super nice action and great neck profile. And looks COOL!

7/25/23 - ADDED video of the X20
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-25-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
NGD! I took advantage of the Emerald 25% off sale and pulled the trigger on an X20 the first day (?) of the sale. I placed my order on July 13th with standard/free shipping. I received it today Monday, July 24th in just 11 days! That is impressive considering it came all the way from Ireland to Tucson, Az.

I opted for the model with Graphtech Ghost Piezo bridge with K&K pickup. My primary goal was to add a cutaway acoustic for amplified gigging that looks great, feels good, plays buzz free and sounds natural amplified.

A Martin DC-18E cutaway with Baggs Anthem pickup has been my main gigging guitar for the past 5 years. It is superb and I love the sound. I'm a bit of a tone snob when it comes to amplified acoustic tone and I share that because the quality of amplified sound on my first brief demo the X20 through my Bose L1 Pro 8 Tower was simply outstanding!! In a word: "Musical!"

The X20 sounds really good acoustically as well. The playability is superb with low action and no buzzes. My traditional acoustic guitar shift during the summer monsoons and in the winter when the central heat runs a lot. That is always a source of frustration. I can't wait to see how stable the X20 remains during transitional climate fluctuations.

So yeah, I'm in the honeymoon phase but I think this guitar is a homerun. It checks all the boxes: Cutaway, great amplified tone with onboard controls, buzz free playability with super nice action and great neck profile. And looks COOL!

Gary, Welcome To The More Purely Organic Side Of Guitardom! That's a beautiful Emerald X20--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-25-2023, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

She's definitely a beauty. Many congrats...
Old 07-25-2023, 06:09 AM

Good on you for snapping it up early, that beauty would not have last long!
Old 07-25-2023, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your X20. I posted a response in the other thread in which you posted this, but it is a beauty and deserves some attention. Enjoy your X20 for many trouble-free years to come.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-25-2023, 07:29 AM

Good on you for snapping it up early, that beauty would not have lasted for very long!
Old 07-25-2023, 09:21 AM

Looks great! Love that top. Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2023, 10:12 AM

Spectacular guitar, G! Is that koa? I like the vibrant amber with the flamey top - one of the best pairings I've seen in a while. An Emerald is perfect for the Arizona climate, as you have already discovered.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary, Welcome To The More Purely Organic Side Of Guitardom! That's a beautiful Emerald X20--Enjoy!
Thanks Ken. I didn't realize you had one too. I use upper register and access 14 - 17th fret routinely for solo's and such, so this well sculpted instrument is going to be a Godsend to me. My fingers glide over the stainless frets like glass. What a welcome discovery. Oh, and the contoured arm bevel is SO user-friendly.

PS: I am not sure if I need both but I also ordered an X30 Jumbo because I just had to know how it would compare and the price was compelling! It will be interesting to see how the X20 and X30's differ (especially amplified which is my primary goal).
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-25-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Spectacular guitar, G! Is that koa? I like the vibrant amber with the flamey top - one of the best pairings I've seen in a while. An Emerald is perfect for the Arizona climate, as you have already discovered.
Thank you. I love the lighter amber shading as well. I think it helps that glorious wood figure "Pop!" I believe this wood was called "Freak Maple". I've never heard of that before. I don't know if that's an official designation or not.

Yes the Tucson, Arizona climate can be brutal. It is always "DRY", except for Monsoon season where we get almost daily thunderstorms with high humidity after 110+ degree heat. The air conditioning is always running in the house and despite my best efforts, my guitars dry out and action drops and strings get buzzy making many of my wood guitars less playable. So this Carbon Fiber Tour De Force is most welcome.

PS: I also ordered an X30 during the 25% off sale. Same Pickup configuration with Graphtech Ghost Piezo/K&K. It should arrive tomorrow.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-25-2023, 10:41 AM

One of my Rainsongs (PMJ-1000) now lives with a friend in Tucson because she was having such trouble keeping her wooden classical on one piece. And I visited Rainbow Music several times pre-plague while you could still get in their showroom. That was enjoyable for the Waterloo and other Rainsong guitars. I was last in Tucson in early May, but don't get there often. My 91 year old M-I-L lives in Sun City.

I can believe maple but it is a freak with the combined flame and the apparent radial grain. Way cool! Our only amber is an X7 but it is standard CF. We call it "root beer" in normal light.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Congrats that is a beauty. I love the sound of my X20 with a James May Ultratonic plugged in and generally don't like undersaddle piezos. (Which is why I ordered mine without any of the Emerald options)

There are a number of good options for plugged in sound in the Emeralds and I too find it plays very nicely.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Congrats that is a beauty. I love the sound of my X20 with a James May Ultratonic plugged in and generally don't like undersaddle piezos. (Which is why I ordered mine without any of the Emerald options)

There are a number of good options for plugged in sound in the Emeralds and I too find it plays very nicely.
Cool idea to opt for the Pickup of your choice. So far I am very impressed with the combination of Graphtech Ghost Piezo and the K&K.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-25-2023, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Cool idea to opt for the Pickup of your choice. So far I am very impressed with the combination of Graphtech Ghost Piezo and the K&K.
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but if you like the K&K part of the sound but find you are getting too much feedback the Ultratonic conversion should work on the K&K in that setup.

That might be a very nice pickup setup for sure!

The combo you picked would have been my second choice if I didn't go the Ultratonic route but haven't heard it yet in person.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but if you like the K&K part of the sound but find you are getting too much feedback the Ultratonic conversion should work on the K&K in that setup.

That might be a very nice pickup setup for sure!

The combo you picked would have been my second choice if I didn't go the Ultratonic route but haven't heard it yet in person.
I will be making some recordings and share here on Acoustic Guitar Forum. My first solo show is this Saturday at a local Loew's Resort Hotel Lobby/Lounge area. Can't wait!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber