The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-20-2023, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

My plumber called and he's coming over on Saturday to bring joy into my world ...in other words, my new dishwasher will get installed. I'm relieved.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2023, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My plumber called and he's coming over on Saturday to bring joy into my world ...in other words, my new dishwasher will get installed. I'm relieved.
Yes but is it analog , digital , or hybrid ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-21-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Jim are you familiar with the Pete Gates. PT preference helper app ? Seems very popular on the DUC and has own sticky page there was just wondering about it,,
It's just a vital component of most Pro Tools users, at least here in my industry. I've had it since its inception and continue to use it weekly, sometimes daily.

A word of caution, however. One would have to be very familiar with all personally set preferences. Sometimes my preferences get a little deep in the weeds. This app, as one would expect, resets preferences to factory spec. I inevitably must go in and meticulously re-create my world. It is, however, well worth it
Old 04-21-2023, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
It's just a vital component of most Pro Tools users, at least here in my industry. I've had it since its inception and continue to use it weekly, sometimes daily.

A word of caution, however. One would have to be very familiar with all personally set preferences. Sometimes my preferences get a little deep in the weeds. This app, as one would expect, resets preferences to factory spec. I inevitably must go in and meticulously re-create my world. It is, however, well worth it
I've used Peter's PT Prefs for years, fortunately only occasionally. Resetting preferences is a pain. I've taken screen shots of each panel within the Pro Tools Preference panes and then I have to reset them manually.

One new feature in PT Pref 2 is its ability to scan all .aax plugins on your computer and produce a report to show which ones are universal binary or otherwise. For folks switching to Apple Silicon Macs, its a great tool for listing what plugins will, or will not, run natively on an Apple Silicon Mac.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I've used Peter's PT Prefs for years, fortunately only occasionally. Resetting preferences is a pain. I've taken screen shots of each panel within the Pro Tools Preference panes and then I have to reset them manually.

One new feature in PT Pref 2 is its ability to scan all .aax plugins on your computer and produce a report to show which ones are universal binary or otherwise. For folks switching to Apple Silicon Macs, its a great tool for listing what plugins will, or will not, run natively on an Apple Silicon Mac.
Hey yall convinced me, I will download it shortly

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-22-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

The eagle has landed.
But still a lot to do before I unbox it and begin setting it up.

YouTube
Old 04-22-2023, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I know you are going to love it, like I love mine! And you have the Ultra...I only have the Max. You got a rocket ship full of power!
Old 04-22-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
I know you are going to love it, like I love mine! And you have the Ultra...I only have the Max. You got a rocket ship full of power!

Yep...it's a flame thrower to be sure. Changed almost everything in my VI world. Audio as well. I'm sure Jim will love it!
Old 04-23-2023, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Just saw a video that the new Mac Pro has been delayed YET AGAIN .. boy thats gotta hurt anyone waiting for it to be released

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-23-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just saw a video that the new Mac Pro has been delayed YET AGAIN .. boy thats gotta hurt anyone waiting for it to be released
Yep. And I don't expect a new Mac Studio will be out anytime before late 2024. The timing was good right now since most software companies are up to date on the current OS. The bigger obstacle for me was Pro Tools not being silicon compliant. I didn't want to have to use Rosetta, instead preferring to wait that out and get a nice clean install.

YouTube
Old 04-23-2023, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Yep. And I don't expect a new Mac Studio will be out anytime before late 2024. The timing was good right now since most software companies are up to date on the current OS. The bigger obstacle for me was Pro Tools not being silicon compliant. I didn't want to have to use Rosetta, instead preferring to wait that out and get a nice clean install.
I would think from all reports it will be monster that you will not likely outgrow for years and years

I would think a new Mac studio will not come out until M3 chips are all sorted out . And if the the new Mac Pro is also delayed until M3 implementation ? Then I would bet it would be another 3-6 months minimum before we see a new Mac Studio come out ...Just a guess

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-23-2023, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would think from all reports it will be monster that you will not likely outgrow for years and years
That was the logic behind going all in on this computer. I didn't post about it but right up to the moment I placed the order I still wondered if it wouldn't be wiser to go with the lesser machine and count on another upgrade down the road. I'm over it now though and I'm happy I went this way.

Quote:
I would think a new Mac studio will not come out until M3 chips are all sorted out . And if the the new Mac Pro is also delayed until M3 implementation ? Then I would bet it would be another 3-6 months minimum before we see a new Mac Studio come out ...Just a guess
Yeah, it's going to be a wait. And with the reported glut of M2 chips Apple can't seem to sell, I wonder if the next Mac Studio is just going to be similar chip sets but using M2 chips instead of M1. Apple is going to want to get rid of those chips somehow. M2 isn't an upgrade I'd wait around for, so getting the M1 Ultra now seems the right move.

YouTube
Old 04-23-2023, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah I get it---- I had envisioned them side by side like mine are and I have my midi keyboard on a metal stand one the opposite side of the desk from my rack gear. It's under the red and white striped saddle blanket And as you can see I have the edit window on the left display and the Mix and video window on the iMac on the right

Kev, how have the panels behind your monitors affected the sound for mixing?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-25-2023, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Kev, how have the panels behind your monitors affected the sound for mixing?
So those are an older GIK Bass traps , they are about 6 in thick.

So before them there was a something not particularly noticeable until it went away, which I would describe as something like a very short slap back -ish sound or ringing , in the mid's which went away after the panels were up.
In general there was a slight increase in over all clarity and a bit better definition of left to right placement of different instruments in the sound field

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-25-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I've finished all the prep work and tomorrow I'm finally starting the migration to the Mac Studio. My friend and Mac/PT guru, Jack, is coming over to help me with the last things I need to do:
1. Moving my Apple Music folder over to the Mac Studio.
That should be pretty easy.
2. Moving my Mozilla Thunderbird files, including archived emails, from the PC to the Mac Studio.
This is going to be the head scratcher. I've found some info that should be helpful but I'm leery of pulling that trick off on my own.

Once those two things are done, I'm golden. I have all the files I want to move from the PC to the Mac Studio on a portable drive, and anything I'd want to move from the iMac to the Mac Studio is already on ssds in that Thunder3 enclosure to the right and below the iMac.

The monitor on the right is a new Dell S2721QS that I picked up to be my mirrored monitor. The specs (size, resolution, refresh, etc.) match my BenQ SW271. The Dell will be paired with my midi controller; the BenQ will be my main monitor. Since I'm going to make the Mac Studio my main Photoshop computer, it made sense to use the BenQ as the main monitor, and since the 2nd monitor was only going to be used for midi editing, there was no need to blow a lot of money on it.

I remember it took two days when I moved over from my old Mac Pro to the iMac. I expect I'm looking at three days at a minimum this time. Tomorrow might be a bit stressful until the email situation is resolved but things should be pretty straightforward after that.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD