The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2021, 12:20 PM

Default Had a chance3 to Play my Back ordered Gibson J45 Walnut

I was at Sam ash in King of Prussia this past Friday and they had a demo J-45 Walnut hanging on the wall. They do not have this guitar in stock to buy and the one on the wall you can tell has been there quite awhile.

So I take it down to get a feel for it and simply could not believe how well built the guitar was. It is built like a tank. Very comfortable and very easy to play. The strings were old and need to be changed. The Guitar I viewed was the Antique natural and I back ordered the Burst model that is simply beautiful.

Now I did get the guitar in Tune and was able to get some beautiful sounds out of it. Harvest moon came out pretty. The guitar shown it could handle strumming and flat picking and a 1.72 nut that made finger picking comfortable.

I went with this guitar due to having a G-45 Walnut that just sounds amazing. The difference between the two is the build. The G-45 sounds great and is light while the J-45 Walnut in heavier and you can tell it is well built. I have truly become a huge fan of Walnut. It has taken place over my favorite tone wood Mahogany. So what is great here is that I know when I go after one more Gibson it will be the Southern Jumbo so I have that Walnut and Mahogany sound.

The Gibson Southern Jumbo is actually a Gibson J-45 with a lot more embellishments and appointments added to it. Other than that both guitars is one and the same in build and sound.

Now it all comes down to having to wait to get it since I did go through the purchasing aspect and is back ordered for me.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, I enjoy Walnut as a tonewood also, and have been in a position of waiting for a Walnut to arrive (although it was a Taylor).

I'd be curious to hear a sound clip of either (both?) of your -45's if you ever get a chance,

All the best, and enjoy!

-a.h.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 09-13-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:29 PM

I’m a serious fan of black walnut as a back and sides wood.

Of the two major US guitar manufacturers using walnut on a regular basis, Taylor uses claro walnut and Gibson uses black. The two are very tonally similar - claro is often more visually impressive, but black is more musically consistent. Of the two, I prefer the black walnut.

Anyway, have fun with your new guitar when it arrives.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion