The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Old 03-20-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Default SOLD Gold Tone Old Time / Open Back Banjo

This one is now SOLD...

Gold Tone Old Time banjo up for sale. I bought it new, but have never really taken to playing it. Includes original hard shell case and two (just purchased) sets of strings. I do not know (and can not find) the model or serial number on this, so please point me in the right direction if any of you might recognize it.

Price now reduced to $350 asking price, plus shipping at cost.

Email is trey "dot" wheeler "at" tinkerma "dot" com. I'm more prone to see email during the day than to be checking messages here (but will do my best to respond to either / both).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9276 small.jpg (100.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9275 small.jpg (89.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9274 small.jpg (106.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by architectx; 03-28-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:32 AM

Hmmm. The cloud inlays made me think it was a WL-250. I have one and it's a great value instrument. It has the White Ladye or "Electric" tone ring. A very unique and cool sound. But the pot and tailpiece on this aren't the same as a WL-250. I almost wonder if this is a prototype Gold Tone made. They regularly offer prototypes and blemished banjos through their website. But you said above you bought it new. So you would know.

I'm no expert on Gold Tone but owned 2 of their open backs before moving on to US built custom banjos. I definitely recommend them for someone who wants to get a nice sounding instrument to play around with old time clawhammer banjo.

I would suggest emailing a photo to Gold Tone and asking them for help identifying it. Good luck with sale.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Earthworm. I did email them, but have not heard back yet. I've reduced the price kind of substantially as a result, but will certainly post back if I learn more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other