The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-15-2023, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD – Pagelli parlour

Claudio and Claudia Pagelli have been building guitars in Switzerland for several decades: flat-top acoustics, jazz guitars and electrics. Over that period they have learnt how to combine innovative and striking designs with awesome tone and playability. They don’t have the profile of many other luthiers, but I was lucky to learn about them via a buddy who has a couple of their guitars. So when Claudio decided to do a limited run of what he calls the Spatial Radiation Parlour back in 2021, I jumped on board.

The idea behind the SRP was simple, a small guitar that had an enveloping voice though its design. As you will see in the photos below, the sound holes are offset. What you can’t readily see is that the top bracing is elliptical, not X. Carbon rods inside as well, and there are probably other design aspects of the guitar that I don’t even know about.

Claudio and I had video calls and emails through the dark days of the pandemic as we worked through neck dimensions, woods, bindings etc. We did not have a tight timetable for building, which was good considering how Covid upset everything. But the guitar slowly took shape.

And finally it was ready to ship. Our jaws dropped when we checked pricing for shipment from Switzerland to Australia, but some internet sleuthing on my part yielded a site that offered FedEx at around half the price quoted on the FedEx site itself. It worked fine and the guitar arrived last week.

Now, after a week of playing, I can happily report that it is a wonderful guitar. Smaller than a 00, as you can see in one image, it still has a big voice, a nice balanced attack and good sustain. Soundwise it suits my tastes, which lean heavily toward the Baranik and Wingert sound. It is very responsive to a light touch and has great note balance and separation. If you weren’t conscious of its tiny size you’d think you were hearing a much bigger guitar.

The build quality is superb. The top is Swiss moon spruce with the finest grain I have seen. Flamboyant bocote for the back and sides, fretboard and headstock overlay. Pegheds tuners, which don’t have a high ratio and are not suited to changing tunings a lot, but I am finding they work fine overall and the guitar holds pitch very well. And they help with the “violin” theme we went for. Soft bevels on all the binding, another nice touch.

The finish is a combination: Gloss on the top to protect that shading and subtle sunburst. Claudio used a high-solids oil finish on the back, sides and neck. It looks very natural and I like the neck feel.

The sound is warm and full, and the feedback while I play is great. I like the complete sound coming via the two sound ports so close to me. The guitar is hard to put down and I am very happy with it 😊.

Now, some photos! First up, next to my Baranik 00. Yes, it's tiny!

Our "violin" burst.

Bocote back

Those sound holes, which saved me worrying about a rosette design!

Tuners by Pegheds

More bocote for the fretboard and headstock

And all nestled in a custom Ameritage case

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-16-2023, 03:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations! That looks amazing, and I'm sure it sounds just as good.

I first heard of Claudio Pagelli around 2008 with the guitar he designed for Schertler, using their then-new tuners. I owned one for a while, and while obviously not a hand-built Pagelli (they were made in Indonesia iirc) it was a lovely little guitar and I really liked it for being aesthetically different and beautiful. I would love to play a real Pagelli someday.

https://www.premierguitar.com/schert...-guitar-review

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:42 AM

Niiiice. Looks cool.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

That is a very seductive looking instrument in a small package. It looks like a bass fiddle, in miniature. I had not heard of Pagelli and visited their site. They offer very unique and handsome designs. Dream Guitars offered an electric archtop in maple finished in just the most beautiful blue sunburst. And it sounded just as sweet. https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/in...s-the-massari/
Enjoy your very special new friend.
David
Old 09-16-2023, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys. David, that Massari is a work of art!

I mentioned mine has a big sound for a little guitar. These videos of Francis Coletta playing the prototype give a good demonstration of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pzZypGNds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Q12njnR8g
Old 09-17-2023, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Thanks guys. David, that Massari is a work of art!

I mentioned mine has a big sound for a little guitar. These videos of Francis Coletta playing the prototype give a good demonstration of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pzZypGNds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Q12njnR8g
Thanks for the YT links. Clearly a stronger performer under nail - and no need for that unsightly pick guard. I get the need for protection, but there has got to be a more flattering solution.
The body depth caught my eye. Is it deeper than the "standard" 4"?
And the headstock on yours looks more proportional than the one in the vid - but that could be the vid camera angle, or design, that exaggerates it.
Really unusual and lovely instrument. Play it with pleasure.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 09-17-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I adore their guitars. I had a chance to play two at SBIAC and the parlor was in my top 3 of the show. (Also, I own one of their electrics, called the “Gringobeat.”)

Congrats, Col!
Old 09-19-2023, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Very cool, Col! Nice addition to your collection.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-20-2023, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Jayne, Juston.

I'd love to try more of their guitars, including the Gringobeat. That such a menacing guitar can come from Switzerland continues to amaze me. Clearly there's more to that country than chocolates, cuckoo clocks and fondue!
Old 09-20-2023, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Thanks for the YT links. Clearly a stronger performer under nail - and no need for that unsightly pick guard. I get the need for protection, but there has got to be a more flattering solution.
The body depth caught my eye. Is it deeper than the "standard" 4"?
And the headstock on yours looks more proportional than the one in the vid - but that could be the vid camera angle, or design, that exaggerates it.
Really unusual and lovely instrument. Play it with pleasure.

David
I'm playing with pick and/or nails, and still getting used to the range of tones. I agree that pickguard is a no-no. I'm getting by fine without one!

The depth is 4.25 inches across the body, and I also measured the distance from the upper bout soundhole to my ear when I sit with my legs crossed and the guitar perched on my right leg: 8 inches! It's a very enjoyable experience to have the guitar nestled so close while I play.

Col
Old 09-20-2023, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

It is all too easy to take a fundamental design of an instrument and bend it to your will just to do it, or to make some mystical point. While I have been in the world of guitars a short time, I have come to appreciate the imagination and skills of those few who do it right. Ben Wilborn, and his Comma series, immediately comes to mind. I think it takes no small amount of courage to mix things up and then put your creation out in the market place for the ultimate judgment. Seem to me that this little guitar of yours, and Mr. Pagelli's other elegant designs, succeed where so many others have crashed and burned.

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop