The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-31-2023, 07:06 PM

Default X20 Hyvibe thoughts

I would like to ask for fellow AGF members' thoughts on my idea to modify the X20 Hyvibe's under-saddle piezo:

I am contemplating acquiring a Schatten HFN Passive and converting it to a 2.5mm male end to plug into the Hyvibe. This would replace the stock generic UST and necessitate the installation of a new saddle.

My objectives:

Hopefully, eliminating the UST could enhance energy transfer from the strings to the soundboard, resulting in increased volume.
Address the volume imbalance between strings that is evident with the stock UST.

Would this approach be effective? Both the Schatten HFN and the stock UST are passive piezos, with similar electric levels that should remain compatible with the Hyvibe.

Reasons behind this consideration:
I acquired my Emerald X20 Hyvibe around 7 months ago. The fit and finish are excellent, and it's been set up quite well.

Initial impressions were that the volume is lower compared to most dreadnought guitars. I strung it with D'Addario nickel bronze strings, and was pleased by the tonal characteristics. The sound is bright and chimey, reminiscent of a piano. This could be attributed to the combination of carbon fiber, nickel bronze strings, and stainless steel fret wires.

The Hyvibe, though enjoyable, wasn't impressive to me.

I only recently connected it to an amplifier in preparation for an upcoming acoustic gig (usually I play bass in the band). Plugging the X20 into a Zoom AC-3 (acquired for this show) and PA, I observed a substantial volume disparity between the high E and B strings. Additionally, the low E was considerably louder than all the other strings.

With the Hyvibe, the signal level is displayed under the "system" tab. Plucking each string consistently, I noticed that the B string was approximately 6 dB louder than the high E, while the low E was 9 dB louder than the A string.

I emailed Emerald, and before Kev of Emerald replied and suggested that "It sounds like you may have to reseat the saddle. Restring the guitar starting from the center to the outside. Before you try that, I would recommend pushing down on the saddle with something soft but blunt like other end of a screwdriver down on the saddle were the imbalance is happening.", I did research on AGF about under saddle piezos, and found many good infomation. Initially, I speculated that the UST might be positioned too close to the low E side and inadequately distant from the high E side.

I removed the saddle and discovered a generic flexible UST similar to this.

The UST bent and extended into the body on the bass side of the saddle, near the low E string. This bend exerted more pressure on the saddle, resulting in higher output for the low E string. The low volume of the high E was likely due to lower pressure from the lower string tension.

I adjusted the UST's position and utilized foil tape to create micro-steps on the saddle's underside beneath the quieter strings. This increased pressure on the quieter strings and reduced pressure on the louder strings. After around 8 rounds of detuning, adjusting, tuning up, and testing, I managed to achieve a much more even volume across strings.

My suspicion is that the UST negatively affects this guitar's acoustic volume. Furthermore, I believe that Hyvibe compromised on this component.

Last edited by gouqizi; 08-31-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

That's interesting. It sounds like you found at least a partial solution. But before installing a SBT as a replacement for the UST, have you tried asking HyVibe how it would work with their system? I had a HyVibe installed in an Eastman a few years back and found HyVibe's support person to be quite helpful. I didn't notice the string imbalance you did, but I don't recall exactly what the UST looked like (I sold it a couple years ago).
Old 09-01-2023, 11:56 AM

Kevin H, thanks for your advice, I emailed Hyvibe just now, I'll post their reply here once received.

PS,your eastman hyvibe and x20 threads was one of the motivations when I ordered it.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouqizi View Post
Kevin H, thanks for your advice, I emailed Hyvibe just now, I'll post their reply here once received.

PS,your eastman hyvibe and x20 threads was one of the motivations when I ordered it.
I agree that your best bet is to discuss with HyVibe. I received excellent support when I contacted them about my weak HyVibe output on my X7. It turns out I just needed to reseat the saddle with even pressure across piezo strip to get signal to where it needed to be.

That said, I never experienced any volume balance across the strings....

Hopefully you get it sorted out with HyVibe soon!
Old 09-02-2023, 05:45 AM

I have a x20 with the Hyvibe and I replaced the ust, but for a mag pickup. I didn't have any problem with the string balance but I hate the sound of ust (all of them).

I think a sbt is not a good idea because you will have audio feedback with the hyvibe even at low volume when unplugged (the hyvibe sending vibrations to the top which are picked up by the SBT and then sent again to the Hyvibe...).

I thought too that removing the piezo from the saddle would increase the volume of the x20, but frankly, I didn't ear any real difference.

I put a submarine pro mag pickup and added a switch in the sound hole so I can send any string to the hyvibe, or directly to the output jack. It allows me for instance to send only the low strings to the hyvibe with an octaver, and leave the high stings dry (plugged or unplugged)
The mag pickup works very well with the hyvibe, but for more realism, I added a K&k internal microphone (with a separate output jack).

I love my configuration and had many good comments about its sound during live performances.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
I agree that your best bet is to discuss with HyVibe.
Thank you for sharing!Hyvibe has not yet replied, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snico View Post
I think a sbt is not a good idea because you will have audio feedback with the hyvibe even at low volume when unplugged.

I thought too that removing the piezo from the saddle would increase the volume of the x20, but frankly, I didn't ear any real difference.
Thank you for sharing your experience! Your suggestions make it more clear for me.
Yes, the hyvibe have a lot of feedback even at low volume.
is the hyvibe input jack useful? With you feedback, I think maybe that input jack can be converted to a output for a separate passive SBT pickup, to be used with a floor preamp.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I think maybe that input jack can be converted to a output for a separate passive SBT pickup, to be used with a floor preamp.
Yes that seems to be an easy and clever solution. The input jack is a fun idea but not very useful indeed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber