The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-28-2023, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My Thunder3 Quad Mini enclosure holds 4 ssd drives.
But aren't those are SSD SATA dives ? So my guess, they run much cooler than NVMe drives as well as running about 500 mb/s

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-28-2023, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
But aren't those are SSD SATA dives ? So my guess, they run much cooler than NVMe drives as well as running about 500 mb/s
Yes, sorry, when I see "ssd" by itself my brain goes to ssd sata drives.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-05-2023, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

The M2 Mac Studio Max I ordered arrived a month early. Just in time for my 70th birthday

It's running so quietly that I can listen from 3 inches away and the fans are inaudible. After the complaints I've seen about the dreaded Mac Studio fan whine I am happy to report that this M2 Mac Studio is very very quiet

Logic, LUNA, UAD, Waves, Fabfilter, Softube, etc. all working great.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
The M2 Mac Studio Max I ordered arrived a month early. Just in time for my 70th birthday

It's running so quietly that I can listen from 3 inches away and the fans are inaudible. After the complaints I've seen about the dreaded Mac Studio fan whine I am happy to report that this M2 Mac Studio is very very quiet

Logic, LUNA, UAD, Waves, Fabfilter, Softube, etc. all working great.
Great news about the fans and thanks for the heads up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-05-2023, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone heard that Apple addressed any specific issue regarding the Mac Studio M1 Max fans? I'm wondering if it's still a hit or miss issue, or if the problem has been resolved and no one need worry about it anymore.

YouTube
Old 07-06-2023, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has anyone heard that Apple addressed any specific issue regarding the Mac Studio M1 Max fans? I'm wondering if it's still a hit or miss issue, or if the problem has been resolved and no one need worry about it anymore.
Good question I have not read/heard anything specific
The only I have noticed is that is no longer mentioned on either GS or the DUC so there is that ...
The big discussion now of course is price and or usefulness of the Mac Pro vs the Studio, but that is focused on the Studio Ultra ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-06-2023, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The big discussion now of course is price and or usefulness of the Mac Pro vs the Studio, but that is focused on the Studio Ultra ..
Yeah, I've seen that too. I think the big video production companies who are Mac-based will welcome the new Mac Pro, but I can't find a good reason for anyone else to pay that price tag. For the audio guys who still need PCIe slots, enclosures are a less expensive option. PCIe slots were important to me when I had three UA cards (a duo and two solos) but I can't imagine I'll ever need a PCIe slot again.

YouTube
Old 07-06-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
My understanding (could be wrong) is that it hasn't been addressed with the M1 Studios but that the new M2 ones may throttle the fans down lower, or maybe even max out the top possible rpm rate. This conceivably could be a retroactive fix in firmware for the M1 models, but I haven't heard that's been done by Apple. I think I've read that some have even installed little 3rd-party software processes that allow them to control fan speeds manually or with new limits on their M1 Studios.

I'd think that part of the difference in reports may be just how much CPU load the machine is under when someone reports excessive fan noise. For me, when recording with live mics in my studio space (and I'm still recording there on an ancient, decade old Intel Mac Mini) I'm using very little CPU resources. I don't even have my 2018 Intel Mac Mini in my "studio B" converted-bedroom office doing mixing, editing and VI and DI instrument overdubs getting audible in any obnoxious way when doing audio work in the box (though I'm usually using headphones, so I might miss some events), though I can rarely hear its fans (guiet, but audible) when some other, not audio, things stress that system.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-06-2023, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
First you have the people who like to complain...when there really isn't a problem in the first place. It just makes them feel like they are somebody when they put the big guys down. And Media gives them that platform.

Then there might be those people that are hired by a competing company to put the scare into people...in hopes that they will switch back to PC's.

And Then there are those people who just like to instill Chaos /Fear. So they run with what ever small complaints there are and turn it into big ones.

And then there are those Writers and editors who make money by creating controversy. Profession writers, write as fast as they can to finish up, get paid and go on the next assignment. This is why, you should be careful about all Statistics. You can make just about any statistic work for or against your needs. Even these scientists are working under grants. They have the same objective...deliver controversy and then get hired to move on to the next assignment for more money.

Let us not forget that AI, is probably helping of those types of people.
In today's Yahoo news....They show a picture of Paul & Ringo and the Article is about the Eagles. Hmmm?

For myself, my ...I can not hear my fan at all on my Mac Studio M1 max until I get two inches away...and even then, I have to strain to hear but the softest whisper of my fan.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
My understanding (could be wrong) is that it hasn't been addressed with the M1 Studios but that the new M2 ones may throttle the fans down lower, or maybe even max out the top possible rpm rate.
That's certainly possible. I would hope they addressed it but without verification, I don't know. And by now, people can find the "fix" easily enough and install an app to control the fan speed, so it may also be true that people aren't as bothered by it now as then.

YouTube
Old 07-06-2023, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
First you have the people who like to complain...when there really isn't a problem in the first place. It just makes them feel like they are somebody when they put the big guys down. And Media gives them that platform.
I don't think that's the case. The complaints were coming from people with histories in various forums. I see no reason to believe they were not legit. Also, there were cases where some returned the computer and bought the same one again and reported no issue with the 2nd one. I think the more likely truth is that some small number of defective fans were installed.

Quote:
Then there might be those people that are hired by a competing company to put the scare into people...in hopes that they will switch back to PC's.
There Mac vs PC debate has been going on for well over a decade and I've never seen any evidence that it's something deliberately driven by a competitor. Without actual proof of such a conspiracy, this one has all the weight of flat Earthers' claims.

Quote:
And Then there are those people who just like to instill Chaos /Fear. So they run with what ever small complaints there are and turn it into big ones.
Chaos and fear? These were just some audio guys who complained that their computer fans were a little loud. I saw discussions but I didn't see any chaos or fear.

Quote:
And then there are those Writers and editors who make money by creating controversy. Profession writers, write as fast as they can to finish up, get paid and go on the next assignment. This is why, you should be careful about all Statistics. You can make just about any statistic work for or against your needs. Even these scientists are working under grants. They have the same objective...deliver controversy and then get hired to move on to the next assignment for more money.
Money is the great corrupter, no doubt. But who is paying anyone to complain about fan noise on some computers? It's true that people can manipulate data to distort the truth. And it's just as true that people invent conspiracy theories based on very incomplete data. I understand the first one because people are getting paid to manipulate the data in some cases, but the second one happens a lot and I'm not sure what drives such inventions.

Quote:
Let us not forget that AI, is probably helping of those types of people.
In today's Yahoo news....They show a picture of Paul & Ringo and the Article is about the Eagles. Hmmm?

Victor, I think you're getting worked up over things that are unlikely to have happened. An AI image or article that clearly isn't true isn't going to destroy society. I'm sure people will find insidious ways to use AI that will cause actual damage but I don't see how it factors into the Mac Studio M1 Max fan issue.

Quote:
For myself, my ...I can not hear my fan at all on my Mac Studio M1 max until I get two inches away...and even then, I have to strain to hear but the softest whisper of my fan.
I'm glad you didn't get saddled with one the problematic ones but that yours isn't noisy isn't proof that none of the others weren't noisy. A sample size of one isn't going to give us a clear picture of the issue. Some people had an issue and I'll take them at their word on something this mundane unless I have good reason to doubt their word.

YouTube
Old 07-06-2023, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think that's the case. The complaints were coming from people with histories in various forums. I see no reason to believe they were not legit. Also, there were cases where some returned the computer and bought the same one again and reported no issue with the 2nd one. I think the more likely truth is that some small number of defective fans were installed.

There Mac vs PC debate has been going on for well over a decade and I've never seen any evidence that it's something deliberately driven by a competitor. Without actual proof of such a conspiracy, this one has all the weight of flat Earthers' claims.

Chaos and fear? These were just some audio guys who complained that their computer fans were a little loud. I saw discussions but I didn't see any chaos or fear.

Money is the great corrupter, no doubt. But who is paying anyone to complain about fan noise on some computers? It's true that people can manipulate data to distort the truth. And it's just as true that people invent conspiracy theories based on very incomplete data. I understand the first one because people are getting paid to manipulate the data in some cases, but the second one happens a lot and I'm not sure what drives such inventions.

Victor, I think you're getting worked up over things that are unlikely to have happened. An AI image or article that clearly isn't true isn't going to destroy society. I'm sure people will find insidious ways to use AI that will cause actual damage but I don't see how it factors into the Mac Studio M1 Max fan issue.

I'm glad you didn't get saddled with one the problematic ones but that yours isn't noisy isn't proof that none of the others weren't noisy. A sample size of one isn't going to give us a clear picture of the issue. Some people had an issue and I'll take them at their word on something this mundane unless I have good reason to doubt their word.
All good points!
As usual, I was mostly having fun with my long essays. In another world of archery friends I am known as " The Jester " for my ability to spin a good yarn or prank. Honestly, I am not really getting worked up over the AI thing. I learned a long time ago:
"With the Good, will also comes Bad. With the Bad, will also then come some Good. Accept change, because in the end, you really have no choice in the matter. So why worry about it if it is inevitable? "

Unfortunately I do know some people who will complain, shame just for the sake of it. They wish to find fault with anything. That part of my story has some merit. So I am glad to hear that this was not the case and there were people of credibility making those claims.

I realize that these young kids may not know who the Beatles or who the Eagles are. However, I would hope that at the very least, the editor would do a little more research and get the right picture.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As usual, I was mostly having fun with my long essays.
Whew! I'm glad you said that.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD