The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2003, 07:35 PM

Default 2 channel pre-amp recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommnedations on a good one? I've been looking at the Presonus MP20 and the FMR RNP. I'm planning on using it with the ES and some vocals. I'd appreciate anyone's help.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 PM

I'll recommend the Presonus. I use their Acousti-Q preamp for live performances, and used the MP20 when recording my CD. Good stuff.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 09-08-2003, 07:59 PM

Wow, Jim, I'm glad to hear that. I know you're a tone nut, so I'll take that as good advice. In the past I've heard mixed reviews on the AcousticQ but there are some things I really like about it as a concept. Glad to hear that you like it. for me it's been between that and the Raven Labs blender. But I haven't played either yet.

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 09-08-2003, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marklyn
Wow, Jim, I'm glad to hear that. I know you're a tone nut . . .
Tone nut. Hmmmm . . . . maybe that could be my "special" title someday. But I'll probably get stuck with "Puck" . . .

The Acousti-Q isn't a "magic box" (as Steven Bennett calls his Pendulum), but it's definitely worth every penny. I haven't tried the Raven Labs stuff, though I hear good things about it.

The best thing to do is see if your dealer will let you try 'em out. Bring your guitar, and spend some time with each. See what works best for you.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 09-08-2003, 08:30 PM

Default Question

How will you use a pre-amp with vocals. Are you running into a PA or amp.
Will a 2 channel pre-amp give a better vocal tone.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 10:10 PM

FMR makes a wonderful inexspensive compressor, RNC, that has gotten rave revues and I own one as well and love it. Very natural and clean. I have heard nice things about the RNP as well so I would definately give it a shot. The Presonus stuff I have tried I was not too impressed with. I do own a Digimax (there 8 channel lightpipe preamp) and it does the job of giving me 8 more channels to play with live, but the pres are nothing to write home about

Nick
Old 09-08-2003, 10:59 PM
OCD Certified

Would the M-Audio DMP3 be a good one for its price?? I have seen lots of people using it in the home recording forum.
Any comments??
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 09-09-2003, 06:02 AM

Stopgo,

This question shows my ignorance but what exactly does a compressor do and what is it for? By the way, thanks for your honest opinion with the Presonus. It is contrary to Jim's opinion but both will be taken into consideration.

How do you like your 710 LTD. I am taking mine to the local store today and compare it with their regular 710 because I thought theirs sounded fuller than my limited. I was looking for the fuller/bigger sound since I already have a bright 614ce. Anyway, this is a different post.....

New member (Sorry, couldn't find the little symbols on my keyboard and I'm getting late for work), I was reading the latest edition of Acoustic Guitar (with Lindsey Buckingham on the cover) and one of the articles suggested that a really good preamp will make a big difference when recording. I may need to read it again and see how the pre-amp is supposed to be used but really, all I have is an AKAI DPS 16 and a Shure SM58 mic. Don't even know if I can just go from mic to preamp to DPS 16. I'm definitely a newbie, what can I say. Any recommendation from anyone is welcome. Thanks for your interest.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Don't over look the Studio Projects two channel mic pre. It has a tube and you can blend between tube and solid state. .. .

Its two channel and it VERY inexpensive for what it offers. . . .

The RNP is SCHWEEEEEET ! IMHO probably beats out the Studio Projects pre, but the SP pre is much cheaper. . . .

I have heard VERY nice recordings done with the RNP and RNC employed on the same channel ! Very high end and professional sounding. . . .

Regards,
DeadHead

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 09-09-2003, 08:55 AM

Deadhead, you should post us a sample.

I will decide sometime this week. Looks like the RNP plus the RNC is the likely choice.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:04 AM

I have had good lu ck with my ART pre but it is only a single . I am now getting to the point that I would like a two channel mike pre as well and wonder if I should just get another art pre or get one with two channels.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 09-09-2003, 03:46 PM

I would go with a Great river MP-2NV Hard to beat that for acoustic guitar...
Old 09-09-2003, 04:03 PM

hey stixx, how do you use yours?

I have one that I put after my padi..I get 100% guaranteed phantom power, plus the little bit of tone enhancment from the art tube.

plus, and this is the really cool part, I can run 3 total seperate outputs (sans the art-padi connection).

the DI out of the PADI goes to the ART, but the 1/4" on the PADI, the 1/4" on the ART and the XLR on the art are all routing options.

I send the XLR of the ART to the PA, 1/4" out of the ART to either my amp or powered speaker, and the 1/4" out on the PADI to another speaker or amp for my bassist and drummer to have a guitar monitor. that way i get cleaner vocals through the main monitors..

just a wierd setup I came up with but it works well.

also, if i run the 1/4" out of the ART to my amp (marshall as50R), it has a DI and 1/4" out as well, though I've never tried to use them both at the same time..so that's 4 or possibly 5 line level routing options...
Old 09-09-2003, 05:08 PM

The M Audio DMP3 has one good review in harmony central.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:29 AM

I have a Presonus MP2 in my home studio, but more times than not I just use the preamps form the Mackie 1402 mixer. Depending on what you are using the recordings for and the level of disctribution, you may want to consider going with a Mackie mixer as it can be used for both recording and playing live.

Mackie mixers are used in many recording studios through this great land.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification