The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Usually around here you can ask as much as you want but you're only going to get $150 max. And usually that's what I'll take a 3 - 4 gig for. Two hour gigs will generally get you $50 - $100. The important part is to book venues that will attract your strongest demographic. For me that's folks 40 - 65. I can turn on some younger crowds but they have to be inclined to like older country music. My 60+ crowds tend to be folks that get off on the Stones and other 60's and 70's classic rockers. I have found that it's more important to match the venue to my target demographic than it is to try to attract my following to the venue. I hope that makes sense.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

OM here ...

THANKS to all for your input! Really helps to "frame" expectations for me.

Been playing guitar for over 45 years, some experience playing out in Christian band for a number of years, and the last year or so have ventured out in the solo world (doing mostly 50's - some 80's -- and a smattering of newer stuff). Lots of fun and personal satisfaction (which is really what I'm doing this for) but had a "what the heck" moment after playing for 3 hours on Saturday afternoon in Irish restaurant/pub (noon to 3 not the rowdy night crowd), only to have the manager hand me $25 (with a big THANKS and a smile). Still building my performance "resume" so only talk casually about money when introducing myself and setting up gig . Manager and staff were very gracious and accommodating all afternoon, provided food and drink for my wife and I, and regularly applauded songs throughout the afternoon (even got a $5 tip from one of the young pizza makers). Quite a few patrons also applauded now and then, and gave the 'ole thumbs up, "great job" as they were leaving (most ignoring the tip jar). This is all really cool and I love it, but $25 is far less than minimum wage. Heck, $50 would have made me content, and I would have been elated with $100. I'm sure some of you have had these "moments". Oh well, Life if Good ! Happy strumming my friends!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

We get $50 a set. That's our 'sticker price'. We typically prefer shorter, two hour shows. So $100. We'll negotiate from there for food and drinks. We'll play local art shows for next to nothing because they are short and fun. It's not about the money if we're having fun. But if the venue is making money then we won't work for free.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
We'll play local art shows for next to nothing because they are short and fun...But if the venue is making money then we won't work for free.
Ding, ding, ding. I've always agreed with this, even before I read it.

I'll never forget the freebie I did in Japan where I told them as long as I got fed and a little for trainfare I'd play for free. I never looked in the envelope until the next day and found $500! LoL.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

I’m with Mick. 150 is the minimum. Regardless of the length of the gig.
I can’t say that I’ve ever worked for less. Unfortunately, that number has not grown much over the years.

For those of you reading this who perform for free-or little compensation, this is the rub. You know. Like supply and demand? Free beer for everyone creates apathy.

This is my life’s work. My avocation. It has worth.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
We get $50 a set. That's our 'sticker price'. We typically prefer shorter, two hour shows. So $100. We'll negotiate from there for food and drinks. We'll play local art shows for next to nothing because they are short and fun. It's not about the money if we're having fun. But if the venue is making money then we won't work for free.

This is true except for a small tweak. You should be thinking how much are you making the bar by then having you there vs not having you. If i can make $2500 with you and $2500 without you then i dont need you.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
For those of you reading this who perform for free-or little compensation, this is the rub. You know. Like supply and demand? Free beer for everyone creates apathy.

I'm 100% with you on the closing statement but there are times when we have the ability to examine the given situation and make a determination that goes beyond strictly mercenary mindset. I spend a lot of money on my equipment and have gigged up to 7 nights a week in the past, including a run of 9 nights out of 10 last month. I insist on getting paid too, but some gigs, like an offer to just bring the guitar with no other support gear needed, talk about English, have food and visit, then get taken to an expensive dinner later on just somehow manages to slide past my focus on the dollar bill.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 AM

$100-$200 for 2 hours is fairly standard in the San Francisco Bay Area for wine rooms/small events. More well-known performers I am sure make more.
Weddings and corporate events definitely can bring in much more $$$ (I just left a wedding in Carmel).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2cu60lHPis/
Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 AM

This thread comes up every other month here.

"It all depends" is exactly right - it depends on the market (where you are) and the venue type.
In the Boston area (within 10 miles) there is a glut of good performers, so pay of $25 (plus tips) for 2 hours, or 'pass the hat' for one hour is not unusual, and there are young people who grab at every one of these.

For me, it's $50/hour minimum for any bar/restaurant place. forget 'how many people I draw' - if you want music for your patrons, you have to pay for it. I went to a friend's bar gig on Saturday - I know what he gets paid - because I turned down the gig. This place is not dependent on him drawing in people, and for the 20 people there while I was there (8-9pm), they were not drawing in enough *extra* to pay, but they realize that their patrons expect 'background music' on Fridays and Saturdays, so they budget for it.

Farmers markets are different - more tips, generally, than a bar, as well as produce. But taking a FM for no pay is not right, around here $50 is normal, $100 maximum.
Any venue that is making money while you are playing should have to pay - including art shows and coffee shops.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-16-2019, 06:49 AM

I've never been offered less than $150 plus a bar tab.

Usually play at least 3 hours, always try to get $200.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
This is true except for a small tweak. You should be thinking how much are you making the bar by then having you there vs not having you. If i can make $2500 with you and $2500 without you then i dont need you.
Well, we never play bars so there's that. Around here there is a glut of people that do this. If you're really good and have a following then you probably get a little more but you also get a lot more gigs. You also do better in tips.

In all honesty we don't do it for a living but rather for enjoyment and I'd charge nothing if it wouldn't be a slap in the face for the many for whom this is part or all of their income. When I retire in a few years my tune might change, pun intended.

One thing is for sure around here, there's more players than venues.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post

100% agree with Tele's perspective. Whether you gig as your life's work or (like me) for personal satisfaction in retirement, "IT HAS WORTH". Whether it's "tips & food" or $200, if you're happy that's what matters. In some cases the applause and or positive feedback is "worth" it, but in others the lack of fair compensation is disheartening. In my view, bar & other business owners make decisions as to whether they want to have music in their establishment or not. The notion of performer compensation being dependent on how much food or how many drinks were sold that night is absurd (other than maybe a lower fee + a % of the bar or whatever). Not to mention, giving a performer say $75 or $100 is surely not a profit game changer -- even for a business with slim profit margins. And it devalues the musician's talent, effort, etc. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM

For restaurants/wine/martini bars etc. I like to get $50 an hour, and I prefer not to leave the house for under $100, $150 if I need to travel. Generally, I want to play for three hours, 3 45 or so minute sets and 2 15 minute breaks.

When I do the occasional wedding ceremony, that's a flat fee of $250 + mileage if it's over 25 miles from my home.

Same thing for a wedding cocktail hour. I can usually negotiate down a bit if I do the ceremony and cocktail hour and they're in the same venue. But otherwise, if I'm driving around, it's on your dime

These prices are pretty in line with what stuff costs around here, if you're in a rural environment, I would imagine they'd be a bit lower...

But get paid for those long drives, if it's a private gig.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion