The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Default martin vs. collings video

a little comparison I did this morning...what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TEuveeMrsE

More martin noodling...sounding better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwkHsWt1gw

Last edited by peanutavalon; 09-22-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 AM

The Colli,gs appearsed to be louder when I listened to the video, and the playing on the Martin a bit cleaner ; what about the price to pay for one of these ?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Nicely done... two superb guitars. I'd take the D1A every day and twice on Sundays, but I like 'em... what can I say? That guitar is a monster. I can understand your being spoiled. Let us know what you decide on the Martin.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Good example of what most people say about Collings dreads versus Martin dreads. Collings has a brighter and clearer sound.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-14-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
The Colli,gs appearsed to be louder when I listened to the video, and the playing on the Martin a bit cleaner ; what about the price to pay for one of these ?
I got it used (like new) for a great price that I was comfortable paying. Actually they are both loud but the martin is more mid focused. The Collings is more scooped with a shimmer on the highs.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Really great picking!

You mention that the Martin is a bit of a struggle to play compared to the Collings. I think that since your style of playing is very demanding, and you want to keep your fingers, wrists, and body healthy into old age, you should stick with guitars that fit you like a glove.

I liked the Collings more for what you do. It was clear, resonant, and had better volume.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 AM

For MY ears, the Collings wins that comparison by a mile.

The Martin sounds like it's full of socks. It's needs the Larry Cragg treatment!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
For MY ears, the Collings wins that comparison by a mile.

The Martin sounds like it's full of socks. It's needs the Larry Cragg treatment!
The Collings has 5 years of gigs under its belt. The martin has maybe 5 hours of playtime.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:27 AM

The Collings is certainly more clear and I think you play more cleanly on it. Not impressed with the Martin- at least when comparing the two.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwkHsWt1gw
More martin 39 noodling. Sounding better
Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Collings sounds better to me. I like the warmth of the Martin but not the muddiness (or lack of note separation). Good clarity to me is always a barometer of a good guitar. A great guitar is one that manages to have good separation and plenty of warmth/character to go along with it. At least, that's my perspective as a guitar builder.

A lot of life is enjoying what you have. Either of those two guitars are great instruments and pose absolutely no barrier to making musics -- most players would be thrilled to have either one. If you got the Martin for a good price, you may find that having a bit of tonal versatility in your arsenal makes playing more fun. I've certainly never seen the sense in owning a bunch of guitars that sound the same. Good luck with your decision and very nice playing, BTW !!!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:54 AM

What can I say...the Martin sounds like a Martin and the Collings didn't.
Outside of that, it's obviously personal preference on your part.
I want really that impressed with that particular Martin. I like my Standard D18 better.. Then again, I can't make the comparison to your Martin in person.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-14-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
The Collings sounds better to me. I like the warmth of the Martin but not the muddiness (or lack of note separation). Good clarity to me is always a barometer of a good guitar. A great guitar is one that manages to have good separation and plenty of warmth/character to go along with it. At least, that's my perspective as a guitar builder.

A lot of life is enjoying what you have. Either of those two guitars are great instruments and pose absolutely no barrier to making musics -- most players would be thrilled to have either one. If you got the Martin for a good price, you may find that having a bit of tonal versatility in your arsenal makes playing more fun. I've certainly never seen the sense in owning a bunch of guitars that sound the same. Good luck with your decision and very nice playing, BTW !!!
I totally agree. This Martin is pretty green and needs some time to open up. And in person it’s not muddy at all. It’s actually pretty clear. I think that’s just the way it sounds on my iPhone. This guitar has a lot of potential. I also think it would benefit from a set of 8020 bronze strings. Both guitars have EJ 17. I’m definitely enjoying the warmer sound at the moment. Can’t put it down right now.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Good playing. You mentioned the Martin has lower frets? Is the playability issue going to become a factor in not picking it up down the road? You also mention the 1 11/16” nut isn’t a problem - not for me either - I like having variety in that department.

The “green” factor is a hugely underestimated issue with regard to new guitars - either they improve with play time, the guitarist becomes more in tune with drawing tone out of it, or both.

I like the Martin - it might just have a little bit more going on under the hood with the warm, more prominent midrange.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Good playing. You mentioned the Martin has lower frets? Is the playability issue going to become a factor in not picking it up down the road? You also mention the 1 11/16” nut isn’t a problem - not for me either - I like having variety in that department.

The “green” factor is a hugely underestimated issue with regard to new guitars - either they improve with play time, the guitarist becomes more in tune with drawing tone out of it, or both.

I like the Martin - it might just have a little bit more going on under the hood with the warm, more prominent midrange.
However as guitars play in the main change is mellowing out with a bit more warmth. The treble clarity may actually suffer in the balance.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion