The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-02-2019, 03:15 AM

Default Focusrite Scarlett Solo question

Hi all. I have a Scarlett Solo and have a question about the gain controls on both the microphone and instrument panels. If I turn up the gain all the way up to 7 I hear or will record nothing but when I reach 8 or more it starts to pick up signals and after that I only have to move either of the dials a fraction and the gain picks up immensely. It goes from very quiet to extremely loud at the smallest adjustment and it's frustrating trying to get the right balance. At present I have the microphone on 9 and that is using a dynamic microphone and also 9 on the instrument gain and that is using a Cort MR710F which has a Fishman pickup. Is this normal for the gain to have such a narrow window of adjustment.

Cheers, Paul
Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRF View Post
Hi all. I have a Scarlett Solo and have a question about the gain controls on both the microphone and instrument panels. If I turn up the gain all the way up to 7 I hear or will record nothing but when I reach 8 or more it starts to pick up signals and after that I only have to move either of the dials a fraction and the gain picks up immensely. It goes from very quiet to extremely loud at the smallest adjustment and it's frustrating trying to get the right balance. At present I have the microphone on 9 and that is using a dynamic microphone and also 9 on the instrument gain and that is using a Cort MR710F which has a Fishman pickup. Is this normal for the gain to have such a narrow window of adjustment.

Cheers, Paul
I had that issue with the 2i2. I brought it back and got the 2i4 instead. It's a little better, but not a huge increase. I only use the Scarlett for quick ideas or monitoring a practice run as its tied to my PC. For my "serious" recordings I use a Zoom H5 which has good gain controls.

To be honest I don't know how this product got passed to go on the market the way the gain controls are. Its like they don't really want to sell them. For me its workable, but I bet many return them and buy a different product.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRF View Post

Cheers, Paul
It’s common for a fairly inexpensive audio interface that uses a potentiometer for setting gain to perform as you are experiencing. The gain does not track the rotation linearly; most of its usable range is near the full clockwise setting. Your Focusrite is very nice for what it costs, but you’ve discovered one of its limitations.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-02-2019, 08:55 PM

Thanks Chuck and Barry. At least now I know it is a normal problem and not just a fault with my unit. Frustrating but I will manage with it.

Cheers, Paul
Old 06-02-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Supposedly they changed the taper on the pots in V2 of these interfaces. Is it a V1 or V2 model?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 AM

I am not too sure Keith. I have had this one for a few years and I just looked up images of the 2nd gen models but I could not see any differences or markings that were different from mine. The driver for it when I looked it up on the computer is dated 2/10/2014.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 AM

Paul, I have a 2nd gen one of these and dotn seem to have your problem. If you have the original box, It will say 2nd gen right under the title.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/im...3dgo5ggyf3.jpg
Old 06-03-2019, 02:14 AM

Thanks for that. I found the box and it is a Gen 1 so looks like I might be upgrading in the future.

Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD