The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Question Interface preamp gain vs windows input volume

Hi folks, I've been recording some acoustic guitar with an sm57 and noticed that it sounds much better with my interface preamp gain maxed and windows microphone level around 50% compared to interface gain at 70% and windows mic level 100. Having the windows input level high introduces so much noise. This really isn't what I expected, can anyone explain why this is?
Cheers!

(Interface is a behringer U-phoria umc22)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 AM

Yes, the Win default is 100%, which is fine for internet video playback, etc, but not so good for music recording.
Your Behr should be set as both the input and output device in your software. And you should not need to crank the gain to 100% on the interface. If you are recording, shoot for -18 to -12 dBFS (decibels full scale) levels.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedMorty View Post
Hi folks, I've been recording some acoustic guitar with an sm57 and noticed that it sounds much better with my interface preamp gain maxed and windows microphone level around 50% compared to interface gain at 70% and windows mic level 100. Having the windows input level high introduces so much noise. This really isn't what I expected, can anyone explain why this is?
Cheers!

(Interface is a behringer U-phoria umc22)
Can you clarify what the Windows microphone level has to do with a USB audio interface?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I have my speakers set as output btw.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Hello, LeftHandedMorty!

I'm a beginner too and I'm having this same trouble here. I have bought a B1 mic condenser this week and now I'm trying to find the best setup to record with it. If I turn up the gain on Scarlett Solo interface, I listen too much noise (crackly). But If I keep the gain low, the volume recording stay too down.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPT View Post
Hello, LeftHandedMorty!

I'm a beginner too and I'm having this same trouble here. I have bought a B1 mic condenser this week and now I'm trying to find the best setup to record with it. If I turn up the gain on Scarlett Solo interface, I listen too much noise (crackly). But If I keep the gain low, the volume recording stay too down.
Move the mic closer to the guitar. 2"-4" will be good range for the Scarlett. I just got the 2i4 and the gain is weak too. The 12th fret is a good spot to try.
If it is too "trebly" try move the mic to the bridge or slant it to point more to the soundhole. Avoid putting the mic directly in front of the soundhole because the recording could get too boomy. Experiment with the mic placement to find the best sound.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Is behringer U-phoria umc22 set as default recording device in Windows?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-07-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Move the mic closer to the guitar. 2"-4" will be good range for the Scarlett. I just got the 2i4 and the gain is weak too. The 12th fret is a good spot to try.
If it is too "trebly" try move the mic to the bridge or slant it to point more to the soundhole. Avoid putting the mic directly in front of the soundhole because the recording could get too boomy. Experiment with the mic placement to find the best sound.
Thanks to help, Tbman.
I will do these tests with the B1 mic. But and the gain on scarlett solo? Do you keep at the middle to avoid noise?
Old 04-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I have my speakers set as output btw.
Your speakers should be plugged into the interface, not directly to the computer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Your speakers should be plugged into the interface, not directly to the computer.
Hmm no.......

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-07-2019, 09:43 AM

There seems to be some genuine confusion here or am I missing something? A properly configured interface should, in total, take the place of any Windows sound device. I would think you’d want all audio to be routed to and from the interface. That’s primarily why we invest in interfaces in the first place. That would not only be applicable to the DAW but also any audio generated from the computer in other scenarios ie: YouTube, iTunes ect.

Eliminating anything “Windows” would have to do with audio would most likely be my very first step. I dunno and like I said maybe I’ve missed something here?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
There seems to be some genuine confusion here or am I missing something? A properly configured interface should, in total, take the place of any Windows sound device. I would think you’d want all audio to be routed to and from the interface. That’s primarily why we invest in interfaces in the first place. That would not only be applicable to the DAW but also any audio generated from the computer in other scenarios ie: YouTube, iTunes ect.

Eliminating anything “Windows” would have to do with audio would most likely be my very first step. I dunno and like I said maybe I’ve missed something here?
The recording interface should just be used as that. There is no need to plug your speakers into it also.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The recording interface should just be used as that. There is no need to plug your speakers into it also.
Naw Barry that’s simply not the case. An interface (among others things) is about the quality of the conversion. Analog to digital conversion going in, and equally as important, digital to analog conversion going out. If one buy an interface to improve the quality of A/D and D/A but chooses to ignore the D/A stage the whole process is compromised. As I mention I’d never use anything Windows has to offer by way of sound. That’s clearly not their gig

No sense in buying an interface only to degrade things (and severely so) at the output stage. I’d refer back to Fran’s question (which no one responded to) earlier in the thread. There really does seem to be some fundamental misconceptions goin on here and we’d do well (for all who might be new here) to clear up
Old 04-07-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Can you clarify what the Windows microphone level has to do with a USB audio interface?

Fran
Uhh...I was wondering the same.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Naw Barry that’s simply not the case. An interface (among others things) is about the quality of the conversion. Analog to digital conversion going in, and equally as important, digital to analog conversion going out. If one buy an interface to improve the quality of A/D and D/A but chooses to ignore the D/A stage the whole process is compromised. As I mention I’d never use anything Windows has to offer by way of sound. That’s clearly not their gig

No sense in buying an interface only to degrade things (and severely so) at the output stage. I’d refer back to Fran’s question (which no one responded to) earlier in the thread. There really does seem to be some fundamental misconceptions goin on here and we’d do well (for all who might be new here) to clear up
Nah, no good. Keep the speakers separate.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
interface gain, recording, sm57, windows input level