The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Stephen Kinnaird SJ BRW/Italian Spruce build just for me!

Hello. I started a thread a few months ago regarding an upcoming build looking for rosette ideas. The time has come and after about a 6 month wait, the guitar has begun. I have been discussing with Steve the particulars now over that time period and he has been great in guiding me through the process. I know that I have probably been a pain to work with as sometimes I hate myself!!! Through it all he has been patient and kind. I have great hopes for this guitar and trust Steve and Ryan to pull not only a beautiful looker but beautiful sounder as well out of this one. Describing sound is so hard for me, but I told him I wanted a strong bass (he said "SJ"), I also want sustain that goes on forever with wonderful overtones. That is about it for marching orders.

Here are the specs:

Model: Kinnaird SJ (25.4" scale)
Nut: 1 3/4"
Pin Spacing: 2 1/4 inch
Top: Italian Spruce, master grade
Back/Sides: BRW
Rosette: TBD yet, but most likely Koa with abalone rings in some variation or another.
Bindings: Koa
Purfling: Radial wood with b/w/b, species yet to be determined.
Neck: One of my favorite features on Steve's guitars: Mahog/b/maple/rosewood/maple/b/mahogany. These are so beautiful when done.
Headstock overlay: BRW, Steve found a really cool piece "laying around"
Tuners: Alessi tuners with wood pegs and gear inlay
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: BRW

Other features include a Ryan style arm bevel trimmed in Koa and plus or minus a sound port. I have not made up my mind on that one yet.

Thanks, I am very excited and will post some pics soon. I have to learn yet how to do that.

Tom
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the top we picked out. We had four to chose from and felt this looked to be the best, although they were all great. Steve says it "rings like a bell".
Old 05-01-2015, 02:15 PM

OK that is big....I will try to figure out how to make that smaller somehow????
Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM

This is the back set I selected. I think it is really stunning. Just my opinion as I aware it will not be everyone's cup of tea.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM

And enough for now, but this is the back joined. We all thought it looked so good this way, we elected not to do any back inlay, it seemed to have its own inlay already....

Sorry for the sizing issues, I am new at this and hopefully can get it figured out...not too big, not too small....Hopefully you can see it alright.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Tom,
I think you did pick out a spectacular piece of wood. I'm having fun just getting to smell it around the shop. I did a quick count and this is the 82nd guitar that I've got to help build in our shop and the 5th Brazilian, but it's been about 4 years or so since the last. Too long for me. We specialize in alternative woods so we know that you can get great sound out of many types of woods, but there is a certain sound that Rosewoods (especially Brazilian) have that I don't get tired of hearing. I'm sure you're going to be pleased.

Can't wait to get you some more pics of the progress. You probably won't see too much of me until the rosette gets nailed down, but it's going to go by faster than you know.

Enjoy it!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 AM

Thank you Ryan. I have all the confidence in the world in you two. That dang rosette and fret markers have truly been the most stressful for me, so no pressure at all on that! Thanks a bunch.

Looking at that top again in this picture, talk about tight straight grain, really??? I don't know how much better that could be, but then again, I just play em, I don't build or critique them!!! This is going to be a world class guitar and I am sure I will never get out of it what it will be capable of and that will only prompt me to work harder and play better!!!!

I know there are some on this forum that feel the guitars do not measure up to their abilities where I feel just the opposite, I will never match this Kinnaird potential.

Best to you and Steve,

Tom
Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you Ryan. I have all the confidence in the world in you two. That dang rosette and fret markers have truly been the most stressful for me, so no pressure at all on that! Thanks a bunch.

Looking at that top again in this picture, talk about tight straight grain, really??? I don't know how much better that could be, but then again, I just play em, I don't build or critique them!!! This is going to be a world class guitar and I am sure I will never get out of it what it will be capable of and that will only prompt me to work harder and play better!!!!

I know there are some on this forum that feel the guitars do not measure up to their abilities where I feel just the opposite, I will never match this Kinnaird potential.

Best to you and Steve,

Tom
Don't worry buddy, you are definitely not alone. There is NO way I would ever be able to match the calibre of the instrument being built for me but that should not be an issue Just enjoy it and play the heck out of your new found love

And of course, congratulations on this upcoming build!! If I have learnt anything so far, it is that these luthiers are making a living out of this for a good reason. Trust their judgement and they will surprise you every step of the way

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

What STUNNING wood ... can't wait to see this one come together!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Music soothes the soul!

The BRW is gorgeous Tom. Sounds like a wonderful instrument will result here. I'm excited for you. Look forward to following along.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
What STUNNING wood ... can't wait to see this one come together!
Thank for taking the time to reply Mr. Wren, I am thrilled you like the wood as you build such beautifully striking guitars. It means a lot to me.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
The BRW is gorgeous Tom. Sounds like a wonderful instrument will result here. I'm excited for you. Look forward to following along.
Thank you as well Cigarfan. I love the BRW, can't wait to see it wet...I will get better pictures of it joined, that did not come out well, but it looks really cool. I think the top although not beautiful in the way of say a heavily bear clawed Sitka is, it is beautiful in its even, tight, straight grain that should make a wonderfully sounding top. Since this is where the wood has the most influence in sound, I am really excited as well by the prospects!

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Tom
Old 05-02-2015, 01:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Already, you guys know Tom to be good natured, easy going and possessed of a fine wit. I have been enjoying our email correspondence immensely. The planning/dreaming stage is one of the most enjoyable parts of lutherie for me. For one thing, you haven't made any mistakes yet. For another, you start the process of getting to know the client. Tom has been a lot of fun to work with!
Here's to a guitar we'll both be proud of, Tom!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Tom,

I was fortunate to be able to trade for my Kinnaird, and it is simply one of the best guitars I've had the pleasure of playing. Enjoy the process, and if it is anything like mine, I'm sure you'll be thrilled. Beautiful choices on the wood too!

Also, different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't think twice about adding a sound hole.

Dan
Old 05-02-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Stephen Kinnaird Guitars

You are going to love this guitar! Steve and Ryan make wonderful guitars, I've owned and sold many, and get requests on a regular basis! Congratulations! I know your excitement!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop