The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Good for you!

I love my Deluxe. It's my favorite guitar.

It is a different animal though.

It has a varnish finish.
Cherry B/S.
Ladder bracing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
These are just great little guitars and obviously well suited to the stuff you play. You may find that even after you heal, sitting with this little gem in your lap will be some of the most rewarding time you spend with a guitar.
Thanks Mr. Jelly and Bob for your comments! Do either of you have a favorite string set for your WL-S? Also, my only (very small) complaint about this guitar is that I’m not in love with the tuners - they look great, but are a little clumsy to use. Have either of you thought about replacing them? (It might be that the nut slots need a little work vs any problem with the tuners).
Old 09-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Thanks Mr. Jelly and Bob for your comments! Do either of you have a favorite string set for your WL-S? Also, my only (very small) complaint about this guitar is that I’m not in love with the tuners - they look great, but are a little clumsy to use. Have either of you thought about replacing them? (It might be that the nut slots need a little work vs any problem with the tuners).
Hi Larry,

Are these the ones?

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...quare-end.html

I have the solid peghead equivalent of them on my L-1 and L-00. I find them a little stiff and sometimes a bit sloppy but not enough to change them out. That said I am spoiled because my other three guitars wear Waverlies. The Golden Age tuners do look great though. I heard you can use a bit of dry lubricant on the gear and spin them with a winder for a while when the strings are off to smooth them out.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 09-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Larry,

First, wishing you all the best in healing and making wonderful music for years to come. ....wow, such an awesome NGD post! That is a sweet lil' powerhouse and your gifted playing really shows the potential of it's bluesy tone. I enjoyed your video, thank you for sharing your talent and Waterloo with us!!

Cheers,

eric
Old 09-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
My favorite Waterloo model - love mine!

So, the tuners are the Stew Mac Golden Era tuners and they’re cheap and underwhelming. I think they work well enough, but I give them no awards. I’d have a luthier take a look - maybe it’s grabbing in the nut slots. The tuners on this and my other Waterloos are serviceable so you should at least be able to get by. Don’t know any replacement, but if you’re willing to spend, there are some great makers who will gladly make and sell you a lovely set.

For strings, I’ve gone back and forth between the Martin Retros (which do the money thing - I think it’s really nice on Waterloos but plenty hate them - seems to warm up, round out, and attenuate some of the brightness) and the EB Aluminum Bronze (another polarizing string, but I think they have a really warm, rich, and hi fi tone to them - they make the bass bloom a little bit and they’re pretty loud). For what it’s worth, I’ve got Retros on there now and no desire to change them, but the EBs work nicely as well.

Enjoy the guitar!
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My go to strings are ghs phosphor bronze extra lights that are 11/50. They are about .02 or .03 heavier than other extra lights on the low E string. I play country rag blues with finger picks if that helps explain anything. But I like them and run them until the windings get fret indentions or worn down where they meet the frets. I don't mind the tuners and I understand your sentiments. They are much better then the tuners I had on a CEO-7 I used to own. I think the nut slots need a little graphite or they bind a little. I haven't got around to messing with it yet. I'm to busy playing Let us know if you find something that works out better though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful, Larry! Excellent playing, superb guitar. Fits you like a glove.

That ought to help your recovery.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

To Doug, Eric, Everett, Mr. Jelly and Kerbie: Thanks to all of you guys for the nice words and the very helpful advice!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:36 AM

Congratulations!
Loved the video, I bookmarked it and it was an inspiration for my own noodling -- I mean the first part of the video, the blues in G! Especially the first riff, before going to C.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM

So cherry back and sides. Even tighter than mahogany, heading towards maple in sound? Love the sound, look of that guitar, and really nice playing! Nice percussive groove!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 09-16-2019, 07:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Congratulations!
Loved the video, I bookmarked it and it was an inspiration for my own noodling -- I mean the first part of the video, the blues in G! Especially the first riff, before going to C.
Cool, thanks Catfish! I like your name - one of my absolute favorite players these days is Catfish Keith, such a unique talent and style!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
So cherry back and sides. Even tighter than mahogany, heading towards maple in sound? Love the sound, look of that guitar, and really nice playing! Nice percussive groove!
Thanks Woolbury! I’m not sure if its the cherry, or the ladder bracing, or the 12 fret to the body design and slotted headstock - the whole package works together really well. Very responsive guitar, and a little sweeter and less “in your face” than the other Waterloo models. I like them all, but this is my favorite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion