The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Default "All the Colors of Autumn"

Here is a piece in 7/4 time from my first album....hope someone out there enjoys it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLEuX4x-iNg
Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 AM

Awesome work, very nicely played and nicely written! That's some pretty wild reverb-like sound on there as well!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 AM

Smile

And loving the 7/4
Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 AM

Great composition, loved it, very atmospheric!
Can you tell us more about recording, it sounds very interesting.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:11 PM

Hi Daria and Sam,

Thanks so much for your kind words. How exciting to get some feedback on a few of my pieces! Regarding the recording of "All the colors..", there are 3 guitar tracks and 1 bass guitar track. The guitar tracks were mixed with some reverb - as you mentioned - and also compression. With recording in front of the computer mic, I just found that the compression helped to cut down on some of the clipping I was running into. It was my first experience with any digital recording and yet I didn't have any digital interface for a direct line-in to the software. The other clip I put on the forum - "How Beautiful" - was done with direct line-in. As to how my recordings are done, I have to (albeit a bit sheepishly) admit that all I use is an older version of garageband - compared to some folks here on Show-and-Tell that are using pretty sophisticated recording gear. And yet I'm pretty happy with the way the most recent album came out.

The basic melody and time signature of the piece came into my mind while kayaking during the fall foliage season. As soon as I got home that day, I started getting some ideas down on paper. I'm just really glad that you enjoyed hearing it. The 'atmospheric' comment is an interesting observation. That word would not have come to mind but I think it's appropriate. My goal with the first album was to create new-age style pieces that sort of have an ethereal quality at times.

"All the colors" is among my favorite tracks on the album, but I also really like this one for the somewhat mysterious quality conveyed in the harmonies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7YZ6P6w-o

All the best,
Keith

Last edited by three4rd; 03-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 PM

Lovely, Keith. I subscribed to your channel.

Not sure if you are recording on GarageBand on a Mac, or an iPad. It does very decent recordings. The Mac version is used by a lot of folks. I found the version on the iPad to be more geared towards a fun app, but it's digital recording, it captures the tone faithfully. It's more about the signal chain up to that point that's important.

I'm recording Auria on the iPad, and I am loving it. Your music does not require a super sophisticated recording environment - it's lot like what I do. Good mics, preamps, and a few solid effects like reverb, compression, eq, and it's great.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 AM

Hi Rickwaugh,

Thanks for the kind words and for subscribing....much appreciated. I use garageband on my imac. It's an older version of it (both the software and the computer!) but I also think it produces a nice sound. I do like what I'm getting with the M-Audio better than with just the computer mic. Also, it was a pain-in-the-butt having to only record when it was quiet in the house. Direct line-in is much more convenient in that regard.

Best,
Keith

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell