The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Aura VT Enhance Demo

Good morning!

I just posted my new video on the Martin VT Aura Enhance pickup. There doesn't seem to be too much info around on this system. I made sure to include direct recordings as well as a live recording. I personally feel that it is further proof that what works live doesn't always work as well direct. What do you think?

Please subscribe to my channel if you like it, I will have new videos weekly.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:06 AM

Great video Aaron! Too often we develop our opinions, and subsequently judge, pickup and amplification systems based on rehearsal, home, or studio use. But, that's not what these things are designed for. They're design for the stage. So, I appreciate you providing a review from the perspective of the gigging musician.

I also played a number of gigs with an HD28E Retro with the new VTE system. And, If I were gigging nightly, like you are, I would probably still be using the guitar.

Well done, and thanks!
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the demo, Aaron. If there was a direct-from-pickup recording on the video, would you specify where it was. I only heard the mic recording and the gig recording. I presume the gig recording was off a speaker, but perhaps I have that wrong.

Wouldn't the Ultra Tonic be just as good for tapping as the VTE Aura Enhance system? Presuming the Ultra Tonic is just as feedback resistant as the Matrix (as has been claimed), what would be an advantage (aside from setup convenience) of the VTE Aura Enhance over an Ultra Tonic/ToneDexter pairing? If the Ultra Tonic is truly as feedback resistant as the Matrix, it seems likely that it would actually be less feedback prone than the Matrix Aura/Fishman SBT blend.

BTW, I certainly agree with the observation that a direct-from-pickup recording doesn't give a complete picture of a pickup system's usefulness in a live setting. I'm nevertheless curious as to what a direct-from-pickup recording of the Matrix Aura Enhance sounds like.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-24-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the demo, Aaron. If there was a direct-from-pickup recording on the video, would you specify where it was. I only heard the mic recording and the gig recording. I presume the gig recording was off a speaker, but perhaps I have that wrong.

Wouldn't the Ultra Tonic be just as good for tapping as the VTE Aura Enhance system? Presuming the Ultra Tonic is just as feedback resistant as the Matrix (as has been claimed), what would be an advantage (aside from setup convenience) of the VTE Aura Enhance over an Ultra Tonic/ToneDexter pairing? If the Ultra Tonic is truly as feedback resistant as the Matrix, it seems likely that it would actually be less feedback prone than the Matrix Aura/Fishman SBT blend.

BTW, I certainly agree with the observation that a direct-from-pickup recording doesn't give a complete picture of a pickup system's usefulness in a live setting. I'm nevertheless curious as to what a direct-from-pickup recording of the Matrix Aura Enhance sounds like.
The examples are in the middle of the video and labeled as microphone or direct.

I’m not saying this system is better than the Ultra Tonic and Tone Dexter. It’s just an impressive built in system for people that don’t want to create maps and carry a preamp around.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The examples are in the middle of the video and labeled as microphone or direct.

I’m not saying this system is better than the Ultra Tonic and Tone Dexter. It’s just an impressive built in system for people that don’t want to create maps and carry a preamp around.
As I've said around here before, I have the Aura VT Enhance in my GPC-28E and love it. Before I got my gig guitar, I gigged with it regularly at a pub and elsewhere. It sounded great even through an average-at-best house system. I skimmed the video and when I have more time I'll view the whole thing and share my own impressions. I will say I sure wish it were available for my GPRS1. It'd be a heckuva upgrade from the Sonitone.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post

Thanks for the clarification, Aaron. I didn't even notice the switch-over on my 1st listen through. It seems pretty obvious on the forewarned second listen. Interestingly, I actually prefer the brighter direct recording sound for the fingerstyle section. In any event, the pickup seems to record pretty well.

Is the dry UST signal/sound image blend adjustable to any extent? If not, does Fishman or Martin provide any info on the blend ratio?

Thanks again for the demo. It covers a lot of bases and will no doubt be helpful to many.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-24-2018, 04:05 PM

Great review. On the strumming, I thought the pickup system sounded terrible, but they all do unfortunately. To be fair, this system did suck a little less than others I’ve heard.

On the fingerpicking it sounded much better. Thanks for putting the microphone clips in for comparison.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Is the dry UST signal/sound image blend adjustable to any extent? If not, does Fishman or Martin provide any info on the blend ratio?

Dude did you even watch the video lol. 4:38+

Yes, you can adjust the blend. Aero's take is interesting because I am not that interested in percussive effects per se--it's probably a quirk on my part but I find that kind of playing--using the guitar as a cajon--annoying. I am interested in getting closer to "sounds like my guitar except louder," which is what, at least for me, it does remarkably well. (Aero references this when he talks about the Enhance not being just about percussive, makes the whole guitar more alive etc.").

One thing you have to be aware of is that the Enhance control has a significant effect on volume. Independent of the volume control, cranking Enhance all the way max produces louder volume, zeroing gives you less volume. The first time I gigged with it, I was unaware of that relationship, and the volume coming out was so weak I thought that either the battery was dying or I was missing something on the house mixer.

I do love having control of volume, just like Aero, but I'd never play at 11 so to speak--that doesn't give me anywhere to go if something happens and I need moar.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

And now I will ask myself if I watched the video, because I'm a little unclear about the very end of the signal chain--the speakers. That is, what is the mic and the pickup cabled into? It could be buyer's halo effect but I'd agree the strumming sound is not the best which is to say, I think I've gotten better results. I assume there's a mixer between the guitar and the endpoint, and that you adjusted separately for mic v. pickup?

It'll be awhile before I'm set up to post my own sound files though. Great demo.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

No the Aura blend is not adjustable. But I don’t think it needs to be. With the correct amount of Enhance blend the tone is very mic like as you can hear from the gig footage at the end of my demo.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 PM

I always felt that the Aura imaging thinned out my tone. It was as if the processing gave the guitar a high end sheen that was difficult to dial out. I at one time considered trying to pair it with a SBT but it was just too much work. This system looks like a great solution but I haven't been overly impressed with the demoes. The other downside is that Fishman has not found a way to offer this as an aftermarket solution. I feel like it could be possible. Maybe a mini usb to the internal preamp for uploading images?

On a side note, I played a guitar the other day which had the Lr Baggs imix which is a similar set up (UST and SBT). I actually liked it more than the Anthem.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Aaro, I just took the time to watch and listen to your demo at home through studio monitors. GREAT job my friend! I really love the way you interject real-world gigging musician considerations. Demo's alone in a room or studio or in front of a camera do not always reflect what works best in a "live/loud/challenging" gig environment.

I have a Martin OMC-18E w/Fishman Aura VT enhance. I also have a Martin D-18 with LR Bags Anthem. So I've done a little comparing in spite of the guitars being different.

The Fishman Aura VT enhance is louder and works really well. The knobs are easier to reach quickly to adjust. although I've found that once I get things dialed in at my gigs, I usually leave the knobs alone the rest of the gig.

The Amplified tone was less natural than the mic (to be expected). But you made a great point about the focus working well in the mix and for live gigs. Without A-B comparisons, I don't think any audience member would know the difference.

I also EQ my preamp for any given venue, so I can scoop the kids if needed or cut the bass. I usually EQ to 'cut' and do not typically boost. (with the exception of adding a very slight low freq boost for my OMC (But its a smaller body and smaller sound than your Martin Dread.) Is that an HD-28e?

As for the Enhance, I don't like the sound it imparts when I add more enhance. I typically leave it dialed off completely. And like you, I set the tone knob up "full". I think it sounds best. But I've found if I use the enhance knob, the Tone knob can go a bit more toward the center detent position (Maybe 1/4" between full and center). That sounds decent too.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Aaro, I just took the time to watch and listen to your demo at home through studio monitors. GREAT job my friend! I really love the way you interject real-world gigging musician considerations. Demo's alone in a room or studio or in front of a camera do not always reflect what works best in a "live/loud/challenging" gig environment.

I have a Martin OMC-18E w/Fishman Aura VT enhance. I also have a Martin D-18 with LR Bags Anthem. So I've done a little comparing in spite of the guitars being different.

The Fishman Aura VT enhance is louder and works really well. The knobs are easier to reach quickly to adjust. although I've found that once I get things dialed in at my gigs, I usually leave the knobs alone the rest of the gig.

The Amplified tone was less natural than the mic (to be expected). But you made a great point about the focus working well in the mix and for live gigs. Without A-B comparisons, I don't think any audience member would know the difference.

I also EQ my preamp for any given venue, so I can scoop the kids if needed or cut the bass. I usually EQ to 'cut' and do not typically boost. (with the exception of adding a very slight low freq boost for my OMC (But its a smaller body and smaller sound than your Martin Dread.) Is that an HD-28e?

As for the Enhance, I don't like the sound it imparts when I add more enhance. I typically leave it dialed off completely. And like you, I set the tone knob up "full". I think it sounds best. But I've found if I use the enhance knob, the Tone knob can go a bit more toward the center detent position (Maybe 1/4" between full and center). That sounds decent too.
So are you pretty much justing using a standard Matrix/aura set up? I would hope the enhance would add some body/warmth but if you turn it off then maybe that's not the case.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
So are you pretty much justing using a standard Matrix/aura set up? I would hope the enhance would add some body/warmth but if you turn it off then maybe that's not the case.
I guess you could say that. I don't really find a ton of value in the Enhance other than an occasional body tapping sort of thing. (for me) But sonically, I don't care for the tone of the system with Enhance knob dialed in to any degree. I largely prefer the performance and tone of the Baggs Anthem for my needs.

I've had the Anthem in a pair of Collings OM's so while the guitars were different, I could compare an OM (Hog/Spruce) w/Anthem versus Martin OMC-18 (Hog/spruce) w/Fishman VT Enhance. The VT Enhance is inherently hotter and louder, but I use dial up my amp volume as needed with the Anthem. Its not 'night and day' but the VT Enhance definitely has strong output volume.

I'm not saying I dislike the Fishman Aura VT Enhance, but I have formed a preference for the Anthem.

To Aaron's point, it all depends on how you play, attack, your style etc. I do a lot more cross picking and less strumming and that certainly factors into my personal preference.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification