The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Carbon fiber guitars....RainSong H-DR1100N2 Dreadnought

Does anyone have any experience with one of these Rainsong guitars? I was thinking of getting one so I can leave it out in my guitar room and have it readily available for playing. It seems like this model has a great sound to it as well as being very resistant to weather conditions.

thanks,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 AM

I don't have a dreadnought, but I do have an OM-sized RainSong, and I use exactly as you've described. I think mine sounds great, more of a clear bell-like tone as opposed to the more "lush" tome of my cedar/rosewood guitar.

Two things people don't talk about much:

I love how light mine is. The first time you pick one up, you won't believe it. It's just delightful to pick up and play.

Because they are so light and stiff, they feel very "alive" when you play one. You can feel the vibration everywhere you touch the guitar.

Love mine.

P.S. This thread will almost certainly get moved to the "Carbon Fiber" forum soon. Can't have any mention of carbon fiber guitars in the general forum!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Duh, I didn't realize there was a carbon fiber forum on here. Geez, I need to look around a little more here. Thanks!
McPherson Sable
Old 05-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
This thread will almost certainly get moved to the "Carbon Fiber" forum soon. Can't have any mention of carbon fiber guitars in the general forum!
Thread moved. We're not quite that adamant, but we want the thread to be where it will get the best answers possible for the OP.

Welcome, DebbieE, to the CF section, one of the most pleasant and best-kept secrets on the AGF! I think you'll find lots of good information here.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Yep, there's a lot of us with CF experience, the Rainsongs are great, not sure if you are set on the dread size, but be sure and check out their WS and OM bodies as well. CF are perfect for us AZ folks that live where it never rains ! LOL You have some pretty nice wood guitars there in your signature.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
Duh, I didn't realize there was a carbon fiber forum on here. Geez, I need to look around a little more here. Thanks!
And a bunch of us are in Az with various CF and eKoa models
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-19-2018, 11:23 AM

Yeah they are certainly resistant to humidity changes unlike wooden instruments.

As a result they stay in tune far better than wooden instruments. Seriously, I joke about "I tuned it last August.. yup still good"

I don't have a Dreadnought though. Closest dealer to Chandler would be either Sam Ash in Phoenix or Rainbow down in Tuscon. That doesn't mean they have a Dread in stock though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I like bluegrass and blues music a lot so that's why I was thinking of a dreadnaught. When I checked out some of the youtube videos it seemed the dreadnaught fit the kind of music I like to play. I also didn't want any electronics in the guitar.

I do have some great guitars though but I keep them in their cases when not being played with some music nomad sponge hydrators in their sound holes.

I was thinking of using the 15% off memorial day coupon with musicians friend and getting the Rainsong DR1100N2 with that.
McPherson Sable
Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I like bluegrass and blues music a

I was thinking of using the 15% off memorial day coupon with musicians friend and getting the Rainsong DR1100N2 with that.
Should be a darn good deal... Ever see / hear Ciisco and the Racecars there in Chandler?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with one of these Rainsong guitars? I was thinking of getting one so I can leave it out in my guitar room and have it readily available for playing. It seems like this model has a great sound to it as well as being very resistant to weather conditions.

thanks,

Debbie
Might be their best sounding guitar. The CH-WS is capable of similar volume and bass and is more comfortable to hold.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Debbie - welcome to the Carbon Fiber sub-forum. This is a good place to get some real-world info from folks who own many of the CF options. Well, some of us own one or two, and guys like Kramster own so many they can't keep track of 'em all. But, there is no shortage of experience and free opinions to glean from.

Living in Chandler, you will really benefit from the ease of care of carbon fiber. With the guitars in your signature, you will also likely discover another great tone with CF.

Good luck with the search.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I like bluegrass and blues music a lot so that's why I was thinking of a dreadnaught. When I checked out some of the youtube videos it seemed the dreadnaught fit the kind of music I like to play. I also didn't want any electronics in the guitar.

I have the CO-series version of this guitar; they should be very similar. I play a fair amount of bluegrass on it and you can really dig in. I like it so much it is my only acoustic, and perfect for the extremes of weather we have here in North Dakota. It hasn't seen the inside of its case since I got it several years ago.

I will add that it is just as sweet for finger style or most other styles, as dreadnoughts tend to be the most versatile generally. Tuning stability on the Rainsong is second to none.

I own a guitar.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:59 PM

Smile The bigger the better..

Yes, the dread is a great model, but if you can handle it, the jumbo is LOUD. I love showing up and being the biggest gun in town. I purposely play softer when backing up a singer or someone cutting a lead. But having that extra ‘gear’ when they point at you to take the next solo is gratifying. It a big Guitar though and I bought the composite acoustic equivalent of a dread because I’m short.But...one day even if you only play in you pajamas in you bedroom (like moi) your going to be called to play out and I was so glad to have electronics ie pickup to plug into an amp.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 PM

I have a Rainsong Shorty SG - which is basically the OM version of the DR1100N2 (hybrid CF/glass body, unidirectional CF top, 12-fret, N2 neck profile) and I bought it exactly for that reason - to be a guitar I can set out and grab whenever I feel like it (as well as bring to gigs without the worries). I’ve only had it about a week, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. It plays better than any of my other acoustics and simply rings. I cannot imagine you would not be happy with a Rainsong Dread.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I have that exact guitar (DR1100N2) and it's a fabulous guitar. My music tends to be Americana, with some bluegrass in the mix. I'd say the Rainsong is a little more like a Taylor than a Martin, with a very lush voice. But, it sounds phenomenal on everything I play with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber