The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Default AC/DC with Axl Rose

Any AC/DC fans? Watched a great YouTube documentary last night on the making of Back in Black, just weeks after Bon Scott died.

With singer Brian Johnson stepping back last year, Axl Rose (Guns 'n Roses) stepped in for that tour. There's rumors that AC/DC is working on a new album with Axl Rose.

Bands go through personnel changes all the time but at this stage of AC/DC's legacy is it worth going with Axl for a new album? I can see touring because it doesn't matter who sings for AC/DC, they'll sell out. I will admit that I'm glad Angus Young is still out there playing.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I was a huge fan growing up–obviously never was the same band w/o Bon.

Seems like with Malcolm gone I there isn't much of the band left, but that is an interesting development. Pretty decent choice for a frontman given the material, and potentially a marked improvement over Johnson.

I do believe time has passed them on, but kudos for keeping on rocking. Hard to imagine they need the money at this point, so kind of cool they've decided to keep on rockin'.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Saw them live last year. Axl sounded great. Didn’t talk much between songs but vocals mixed really well with the band. The show was LOOUUDDD and kicked butt.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 PM

Bon, yes...

Brian, yes...

Axl … nahhhhhh
Old 05-24-2018, 03:05 AM

Saw one of the last shows with Brian and then with Axl within 12 months. Axl was OK live but he was not Brian. Live shows OK with Axl but studio album?.... No.

I think Brian Johnson is one of the greatest characters in Rock and AC/DC without him is like Angus Young doing AC/DC. I absolutely love to see Steve Hackett doing Genesis stuff - but I don't call it Genesis.

YouTube
Old 05-24-2018, 03:44 AM

I really like Brian Johnson and it's too bad they wont play together anymore.

I'm not a big fan of Axel but I saw their show last year and I must say it was also really good.
I cant compare both because I saw them with Brian about 20 years ago. Their energy (and mine) was probably a bit different.

What I liked in the last show is that they played more songs from the Bon Scott period (shot down in flames, etc...) which I really like. My preference was always to the older albums, when the band was more old school rock'n'roll and a bit less "hard rock"

Now, a new album with Axel, I dont know what to expect but to be fair, I also didnt listen much to the last albums with Brian (the last one I spent time listening and enjoying was Ballbreaker).
Old 05-24-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Bon, yes...

Brian, yes...

Axl … nahhhhhh

+1

I'm just happy to see that Axl actually shows up.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Just FYI, Spotify has basically their entire collection at this point. They didn't used to, so for those wanting an AC/DC fix:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/711MCceyCBcFnzjGY4Q7Un
Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Saw them live last year. Axl sounded great. Didn’t talk much between songs but vocals mixed really well with the band. The show was LOOUUDDD and kicked butt.
I'm surprised that Axl has calmed down enough to fit in such a well established and respected band. I'm assuming during the last tour he didn't walk off the stage prematurely and walked on stage on time with his band mates.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm surprised that Axl has calmed down enough to fit in such a well established and respected band. I'm assuming during the last tour he didn't walk off the stage prematurely and walked on stage on time with his band mates.
Well he did start his stint with AC/DC with a broken leg, sat on a throne. I thought it was the result of an accident - perhaps it was a way to keep him in place.

YouTube
Old 05-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Why not? I do admit I was pleasantly surprised at how well Axl performed on the tour. Fans always resist changes, eg the furor when the Beatles fired Pete Best and hired Ringo. Axl will do just fine.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't surprised that Axl replaced Brian Johnson on tour, but I was surprised a few months ago, when I heard they planned to make it a more permanent thing. But like others said, if they get back to their Bon-era rocking roots, I think that's a good thing.

As for Axl showing up on time and behaving, you can bet that the promotors and the band have agreements with those clauses in place. Nobody wants to re-create the drama of Axl in the 1990s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic