The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2018, 05:20 PM

Default Pickup Recommendations

I’m scheduled to pick up my new Larrivée OM cedar over mahogany next week and have been investing pickup options. Right now I’m considering the L.R. Baggs Lyric (which I have installed in my Larrivée LS and am pleased with) or the Schatten HFN. I want something that doesn’t require any modifications to the instrument (Larrivées are pre-drilled for end pin jacks) and I’m not really looking at K&K due to the super glue install and the fact their impedance doesn’t match my current gear. With those exclusions in mind are there other pickups I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Default Pickup Recommendations

I’m my opinion, the Lyric is a better option than the Schatten. I’ve used both. Better feedback rejection and higher fidelity with the Lyric. If you want to explore K&K you can order with the minimalist pre phase preamp, since you’re evidently ok with the 9V battery. Impedance matching would not be an issue if you have low impedance gear. It’s only the super high impedance gear that I’ve struggled with using a passive K&K. You might also consider a Dazzo system if you have an installer local to you. Trance Amulet is also a well made high fidelity piezo system.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 AM

Thanks, those are good data points. One other option I’ve considered is Fishman’s rare earth blend soundhole pickup.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Thanks, those are good data points. One other option I’ve considered is Fishman’s rare earth blend soundhole pickup.
If you are a fan of sound-hole pickups, I'm told that's a good one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification