The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasonlyhuman View Post
Appreciate the continued thoughts. I have been researching the Journey OF660 and Rainsong CH PA further after the feedback here. I still don't necessarily like the Journey (can't put a finger on it, but something), but the RS PA seems really promising. I also removed the Cargo and McPherson from my list (Cargo for scale size and McPherson for price). Ever changing list, but I am making progress

A little off topic, but anyone mess with Blackbird's newer line? I think they call it eKoa, didn't know if people had opinions yet. I talked with Ted at LA Guitars and he seemed very impressed.

Again, very appreciative of the help.
I had bad GAS for a Savoy, so I bought one used without first being able to try. Many seem to like it, but it didn’t work for me at all, so I sold it through the AGF classifieds. I’m just glad I didn’t buy a new one, because I didn’t take much of a hit. They seem to be popping up in the AGF classifieds lately. A couple of gloss burst models are there now, I think. The basic Savoy is pricey, the bursts are REAL pricey. May be worth it for many, but certainly not me. Jmo.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Appreciate the continued thoughts. I have been researching the Journey OF660 and Rainsong CH PA further after the feedback here. I still don't necessarily like the Journey (can't put a finger on it, but something), but the RS PA seems really promising. I also removed the Cargo and McPherson from my list (Cargo for scale size and McPherson for price). Ever changing list, but I am making progress

A little off topic, but anyone mess with Blackbird's newer line? I think they call it eKoa, didn't know if people had opinions yet. I talked with Ted at LA Guitars and he seemed very impressed.

Again, very appreciative of the help.
I had the opportunity to play a Savoy (Blackbird's eKoa smaller guitar) at a CF gathering in February. It is a very nice guitar; good sound. Size-wise, it reminded me of a Taylor GSmini (just to give you some perspective). It is about twice the price of an X7 or an OF660 (in the same ballpark as the Touring) . At that gathering, we were able to A/B (OK, and C/D/E/F) quite a few different CF guitars. I was happy to go home with my X7. I would put the Savoy as a close second (from my earlier post), ahead of the Touring, Cargo, and OF660. Just one guy's opinion. Although Earl's (another sometime participant here) wife did buy a gorgeous X7 woody after spending some time with mine at the gathering.

Do a search here for the Savoy - there was a lot of discussion about them when they first came out.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had the opportunity to play a Savoy (Blackbird's eKoa smaller guitar) at a CF gathering in February. It is a very nice guitar; good sound. Size-wise, it reminded me of a Taylor GSmini (just to give you some perspective). It is about twice the price of an X7 or an OF660 (in the same ballpark as the Touring) . At that gathering, we were able to A/B (OK, and C/D/E/F) quite a few different CF guitars. I was happy to go home with my X7. I would put the Savoy as a close second (from my earlier post), ahead of the Touring, Cargo, and OF660. Just one guy's opinion. Although Earl's (another sometime participant here) wife did buy a gorgeous X7 woody after spending some time with mine at the gathering.

Do a search here for the Savoy - there was a lot of discussion about them when they first came out.
To my ear, the tone of the Savoy was better than my Cargo, but not THAT much better, and from all other perspectives, the Savoy didn’t suit me. My Cargo ain’t going anywhere, though I do hope to try an X7 someday.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:09 AM

One thing I learned from flying AC is that you rarely want to be the first person or last person to fly a particular plane (or helo). That goes for models too whether you are talking about the latest experimental or an old Bell 206 that's been stuck in someone's garage for 20 years. They are good deals for a reason.

I still make exceptions in AC and in music. In the musical world I got an early X20 of the design Alistair is still using for a great price. I also got a Lucky13 about half way through its last design run. If I could have only one on the water, I think it would be an X20 with no electronics. Right now I have had my Lucky on or near a river for the last two weeks with no problems and no worries as I have electronics in my X20. I think many others would work for me (from the Journey, to RS, another Emerald or CA), but I make do with what I got.

I think jump on the classifieds for anything you are interested in but with these CF guitars you might have to buy new to get the one you are most interested in. Still there is a Lucky that might be for sale soon from what I read on that other thread...

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM

The Blackbird L13 seems awesome, but since it is the size of a 00, I fear it may be too big for our typical travel. My wife is pushing I should look more into the OF660. Owners who break it down often and have had one for a few years: how is the neck connection holding up? That is one of my largest concerns.

Too many choices, especially since I live in a CF desert...

Old 05-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
The Blackbird L13 seems awesome, but since it is the size of a 00, I fear it may be too big for our typical travel. My wife is pushing I should look more into the OF660. Owners who break it down often and have had one for a few years: how is the neck connection holding up? That is one of my largest concerns.

Too many choices, especially since I live in a CF desert...
I have had my OF660 for a few months now. I have confidence in the neck joint. Journey has assured me that the neck joint is guaranteed for life. They must also have confidence in that joint. I love the backpack feature, very convenient for taking on trips on my boat and in my kayak and camping.
I found that i needed to take the saddle down just a hair to lower the action a bit. I like a low action. The good news is you can just back off the wing nut a half turn and raise the action a tad if you want. The nut is cut perfectly. ( bone nut and saddle with ebony pins. The tuners are top notch Gotoh 18:1.
This guitar is very comfortable with the beveled arm rest, the rear molded to fit my ribs. there is an adjustable truss rod that i havent needed to touch. I have tried various strings and seem to like the Elixer HD 80/20's so far. The pickup is a soundboard transducer type similar to a K&K type. Overall I am very pleased with the sound, comfort , play-ability and ease of transport.
Sorry, got carried away there, you just asked about the neck joint.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 AM

In the last year I also did an upgrade on my camping/hiking/travel guitar from a Little Martin (was still in good shape so sold it to a friend) to a Rainsong CH-PA without electronics.

I ordered mine directly from Elderly Instruments, arrived in perfect condition and I absolutely love it. I chose it because I really liked the scale length and the price. I didn't need it for airplane overhead storage so that didn't factor in.

Definitely a good option.

Later
Rob
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Emerald X7 or Journey OF660.

Emerald X7 for no electronics and fixed neck.

Journey OF660 since you said hiking for maximum backpacking size. Also great for flying. And don't worry about the electronics in that one - it's a proprietary system similar to the K&K so just three transducer pads glued to the soundboard and insulated wires. You would be hard pressed to affect that in any way short of using it for a boat paddle... in the ocean.

I've owned both (in fact on my second OF660) and both are great.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 AM

I have owned two Journey collapsible guitars. The neck joint on both was without problems.

I sold the wooden OF410 because I needed something to keep in the boat, namely the OF660.

Since I play strictly acoustic, I want to add that the OF660 really came alive with aluminum bronze strings. Very happy with the guitar after I had it set up. Have owned it for about a year and a half.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Since I play strictly acoustic, I want to add that the OF660 really came alive with aluminum bronze strings. Very happy with the guitar after I had it set up. Have owned it for about a year and a half.

Interestingly, I found that the new D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings (which I am assuming are analogous to the EB Aluminum Bronze) really woke up my OF420B.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 PM

I've had my OF660 for almost three years. I traveled with it a number of times for the first couple of years around the states and internationally. Everything works just as well and as tight as when it was new. The last year I haven't traveled at all so it has become my couch guitar, sitting in a stand in all kinds of weather right next to the couch. So comfortable to play, stays in tune for weeks. A new job has me on the road again starting next week and it will come along for many trips. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

My reduced collection (in order of acquisition):
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson Les Paul Tribute
Old 05-21-2018, 05:50 AM

Default Thank you everyone!

I wanted to quickly thank everyone for the replies and guidance. I feel that the OF660 is going to make the most sense for my first CF guitar

Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Just a comment regarding the OF660: if you're a fingerpicker you might find that the guitar lacks projection. I use the guitar when I travel abroad and while very convenient it's definitely on the quiet side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber