The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-14-2018, 10:12 PM

Default Guanacaste / Parota

Hey everyone I’m new to the site
I am wondering if anyone has used Guanacaste on a build. I’m interested to hear about it’s stability and it’s sound.
Right now I am living in Mexico as a student at a big NGO, I don’t have much money to invest in my first guitar. Guanacaste, or Parota as it is called here, is plenty and in my opinion is really beautiful, I’m really into the open pores. I haven’t been able to glean much from the internet except that it has been used once or twice and supposedly sounds woody like mahogany, aside from that I haven’t heard much for or against it. I’m looking at doing an all Parota build, likely minus the neck, that seems too risky.
I am not interested in sinking hundreds of dollars into my first build. I do however have a good woodworking background and hopefully the patience/ attention to detail to do the job.
Does anyone have experience using Guanacaste as a tone wood? Does anyone have any tips for me in my first build?
Thanks, Kyle
Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 PM

I don’t want to sound conceited though, I have so much to learn before I could ever build a good guitar. I just want to know peoples opinions if this is an ok place to start.
Thanks, Kyle
Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Why not use it for a first build. If for some reason you find it is not good for a guitar you are well on your way for your second build. If you could get a mainly quartered piece it would be better. You also want a straight grain that does not run out of the board much. If you have good wood available I would even try a neck out of it. The worst that could happen is you would need to take it off and replace it if does not work out.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindskyl000 View Post
Hey everyone I’m new to the site
I am wondering if anyone has used Guanacaste on a build. I’m interested to hear about it’s stability and it’s sound.
Right now I am living in Mexico as a student at a big NGO, I don’t have much money to invest in my first guitar. Guanacaste, or Parota as it is called here, is plenty and in my opinion is really beautiful, I’m really into the open pores. I haven’t been able to glean much from the internet except that it has been used once or twice and supposedly sounds woody like mahogany, aside from that I haven’t heard much for or against it. I’m looking at doing an all Parota build, likely minus the neck, that seems too risky.
I am not interested in sinking hundreds of dollars into my first build. I do however have a good woodworking background and hopefully the patience/ attention to detail to do the job.
Does anyone have experience using Guanacaste as a tone wood? Does anyone have any tips for me in my first build?
Thanks, Kyle
I haven't worked with the wood. It's properties suggest it would be good for a flamenco guitar. It's shrinkage properties suggest it is "stable" for guitar building. But whether it is prone to splitting or not, I do not know.

http://www.wood-database.com/guanacaste/

http://www.wood-database.com/alaskan-yellow-cedar/

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-15-2018, 04:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Kyle,
I have used Guanacaste (also parota, kelobra) before, and I have boatloads of it (another story). It is very easy to work with - though it is commonly ribbon-grained (read interlocked) and can present a little difficulty in bending if you’re inexperienced. However, it’s stable, lightweight, looks and sounds a lot like mahogany. The one major caveat is that it’s dust has the effect of choking everyone I have ever seen exposed to it. Without fail, you will cough and choke if exposed to the dust for long. I use dust masks when working it, and I’m fine. But, if you’re not committed to wearing a mask throughout the build, you will do a lot of coughing.

Unfortunately a computer disaster makes it to where I don’t have any great pics to share. When I’m at work tomorrow, I can take pics of some of the wood. I have also used it as a neck where it works great as well.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-15-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Why not use it for a first build. If for some reason you find it is not good for a guitar you are well on your way for your second build. If you could get a mainly quartered piece it would be better. You also want a straight grain that does not run out of the board much. If you have good wood available I would even try a neck out of it. The worst that could happen is you would need to take it off and replace it if does not work out.

That is really encouraging I just might have to give it a try.
Kyle
Old 05-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Hi Kyle,

I have used Guanacaste (also parota, kelobra) before, and I have boatloads of it (another story). It is very easy to work with - though it is commonly ribbon-grained (read interlocked) and can present a little difficulty in bending if you’re inexperienced. However, it’s stable, lightweight, looks and sounds a lot like mahogany. The one major caveat is that it’s dust has the effect of choking everyone I have ever seen exposed to it. Without fail, you will cough and choke if exposed to the dust for long. I use dust masks when working it, and I’m fine. But, if you’re not committed to wearing a mask throughout the build, you will do a lot of coughing.

Unfortunately a computer disaster makes it to where I don’t have any great pics to share. When I’m at work tomorrow, I can take pics of some of the wood. I have also used it as a neck where it works great as well.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

That’s cool to hear that you’ve done it an it’s worked? Have you made more than one guitar out of it? I’d love to see some pictures of the finished guitar(s).
As far as immediate questions go I have a few.
1. I’ve read a lot about the difficulties of getting a good finish with Parota because it’s so fibrous. I’ve read that when sanded it looks “fuzzy” and it’s really hard to knock down. Did you have that issue? And if you did how did you confront it? I have been considering just using a cabinet scraper but I’m a little unsure if I can keep it flat.
2. Have you done one with a Parota top in addition to the back and sides? If so how does it compare to a mahogany/Koa or a cedar/spruce top.
3. Lastly do you have any follow-up from any Parota guitars that you have sold/parted with? In my work I get the opportunity to travel a lot internationally and I’m wondering how it might hold up over time and travel. If I end up making one and selling it/giving it away I don’t want to give someone a dud. I’m particularly interested in the neck, as I feel reassured that cracking is not a special concern.
Thanks, Kyle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair