The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM

Default La Patrie nylon models?

Are there any members that have experience with these guitars? Build quality, sound quality, etc. I like the hybrid models w/cedar/mahogany and the QI2 pickups, I have heard you tube demos and they seem ok to me.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 04-20-2018, 01:02 PM

I have a La Patrie "Concert". I don't know if La Patrie still makes the model, but it was a step up from the "Etude." No electronics. I'm quite happy with it. Have it strung with Suarez 520P's. Very resonant, if a little bass heavy. Very nicely built, excellent finish quality. I think that it is really fine for it's price point.

Before buying it, I played several other classicals in the approximate price range, including Yamahas, and a couple of Alvarez models. Liked the La Patrie the best. It also counted with me that they are built in Canada. La Patrie is a sister company to Seagull, both part of the Godin business.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM

Very nice, well made, basic, simple guitars. I've had an Etude for about 20 years...it looks it's age (soft cedar) but it still sounds great.

They are more "nylon string guitars" than "classical" guitars, if that makes sense. Not as much projection as say, a comparably priced Cordoba-- but a warm toned, easy to play guitar. They're great for folk and bossas and nylon string jazz playing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Default La Patrie Motif

My Motif is a small-bodied "parlor" guitar, cedar top, cherry sides & back, nylon strings. Right now she has D'Addario Pro-Arte Dynacore W/Titanium Treble strings on, and her sweet little voice is totally delicious.

There's a lot of discussion of the Motif on this forum, and consensus is that it's excellent. If you like a small nylon-string guitar, you can't go wrong with the Motif.

Ibanez Artwood Vintage grand concert acoustic
La Patrie Motif parlor-size classical
Cordoba Mini M travel-size classical
Cordoba Guilele even smaller classical (so cute!)
and
Ohana SK20-S soprano ukelele
Old 04-27-2018, 07:05 PM

My first classical was a LaPatrie Presentation model. Excellent build quality and really a good sound. I preferred it to similar priced Yamaha at the same store. I still have it though don’t play it as much as I have moved to a guitar with a shorter scale and slightly narrower fretboard. Way back then, when I bought, the LaPatrie hybrid or crossover models did not exist. I have played some in a shop and I like them. I have never seen any of the Godin group of guitars, nylon or steel, with a poor build quality.

Jon
Old 04-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Default La Patrie Concert model

I have a La Patrie Concert model. Bought it about 3 months ago. I enjoy it very much. I didn't have many choices when I went into the music store (Yamaha for me was not a choice) but I have an acoustic La Patrie as well and I am not disappointed.
For the price range I think this is a good guitar ($450), and all solid wood. Psychologically I have this urge to have a $1,500 to $2,000 range guitar and I expect it to be better. Then there's the nut width, where I'm thinking I would enjoy a 2.04 inch neck rather than the 2.0.
My Concert model's tonation, action, and sound quality are above average for such a guitar. I would need to try an expensive guitar side by side now to actually see the difference.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM

I had la Patrie Presentation. Very solid intrument. Good playability and plugged in sound. A bit weak on the treble strings acoustically. But a very good classical guitar in that price range.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Very nice, well made, basic, simple guitars.
That's my experience as well.

John R.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 AM

I am zeroing in on the La Patrie hybrid. I own a S&P and have played a number of other Godwin family guitars. All have been impressive in build and sound. I’ve played the Alvarez hybrid, and while it sounded decent, my overall positive experience with Godins has me leaning toward the La Patrie. The fact that it’s made in NA is a bonus.

Thanks for everyone’s input here.

Very nice piece Jeff!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:46 PM

I just bought a La Patrie concert cw. Lacquer finish, truss rod and satin finished neck. Awesome guitar
Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxer View Post
I just bought a La Patrie concert cw. Lacquer finish, truss rod and satin finished neck. Awesome guitar
Great for you, hope it turns out to be that keeper. My Seagull was a great first time guitar and am waiting to play and hold a La Patrie nylon to hear and feel how it plays.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 02-16-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
Are there any members that have experience with these guitars? Build quality, sound quality, etc. I like the hybrid models w/cedar/mahogany and the QI2 pickups, I have heard you tube demos and they seem ok to me.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Hi. My son purchased a La Patrie Collection in 2006 which was offered as a clearance sale new by Guitar Center. Paid $524 USD. Seventeen years later, he had it sitting around and never played classical, just steel acoustic. Gave it to me and at eighty years of age I have been studying for six months using the Suzuki method and up to book four. So I am no expert on classical guitar merits. However, I will offer two knowledgeable opinions. Wood Street Guitar in Oakland, California, the West Coast Luthiers authorized by the Martin Factory, went over this La Patrie. Slight adjustment in the action at the nut was all it took. No fret issues, no neck issues, nothing wrong after all those years. They were impressed with this instrument and the build quality. Then, my teacher, who is well respected in Northern California area, played it several times and told me unless I was going to step up to the $2,000 to $3,000 range there was no need to replace or upgrade. He plays a Kenny Hill, which I have tried. I must say I prefer the La Patrie. It is heavier, not quite as loud, but I prefer the sound quality over the Kenny Hill. If I knew how to add ssome pictures here, I could show you this beautiful instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical