The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Default School me on classical guitar options

I’m very knowledgeable regarding acoustics and electrics having owned 35+ guitars over the years. I’m looking to get into a classical guitar but know very little.

I think I want a cutaway because I like to go up to the upper register. I also kind of like the idea of it being a smaller guitar. As far as nut width, nothing over 2in.

In the acoustic world, there are plenty of options and like anything else some provide very good bang for the buck ( i.e Larrivee, Eastman, etc). I’m looking for ideas on what are the best value guitar for $500-$1200 new or used. Also - who are considered to be the top 5 guitar makers in that price range? Thank you for your input and feedback.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
I’m very knowledgeable regarding acoustics and electrics having owned 35+ guitars over the years. I’m looking to get into a classical guitar but know very little.

I think I want a cutaway because I like to go up to the upper register. I also kind of like the idea of it being a smaller guitar. As far as nut width, nothing over 2in.

In the acoustic world, there are plenty of options and like anything else some provide very good bang for the buck ( i.e Larrivee, Eastman, etc). I’m looking for ideas on what are the best value guitar for $500-$1200 new or used. Also - who are considered to be the top 5 guitar makers in that price range? Thank you for your input and feedback.
Based on the parameters in your post, there is only two choices: Cordoba and, if you push your budget a bit or buy used, Kenny Hill New World Series.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 AM

What do you mean by a smaller guitar? A 7/8 size classical? Or, with the cutaway and nut, a 000 or smaller (in steel-string sizes) crossover? Takamine and Furch have some models that fit.

If you're looking for a classical-type guitar and not just nylon-string, I'd say apart from the two already mentioned, look for Alhambra, Kremona and, with some luck, a used Hanika.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:41 AM

My favourite brand is Camps. Check them out.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-28-2018, 06:08 AM

Keep the comments coming. Yes - VYSE , a 7/8 guitar. Is that considered a child’s guitar? In steel string world, we play all different sizes.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:18 AM

Try the Yamaha CGX171series. I have the cedar/rosewood version. Nut width is less than 2". Usually can be found on eBay or Reverb.
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:55 AM

I agree about Córdoba being an option. Alhambra also has nice, moderately priced options. The Pavan TP 20 is just outside of your targeted maximum, quite nice and seems to get a lot of praise from owners. I just saw a Ramirez 2E for sale. Ramirez guitars are nice. Kremona has a few options across your price range. I just realized you were tending toward a nylon string with a cutaway. The Yamaha NCX 1200R is really nice if you want to play a lot plugged in. It is a full bodied 12 fret classical with a cutaway and a pickup system that is very good. The acoustic tone should be satisfying, since it has a full depth of body.

Last edited by gmr; 04-28-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:30 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com

Given your a jazz player, i want to give you some general guidance. The standard width of a classical at the nut is 52mm. Most have a 650mm scale length. Commonly, classical guitars are set up at a standard of 4.0mm and 3.0mm at the 12th fret on the 6th and 1st strings respectively, probably too high to play jazz or flamenco comfortably.

Given what you are playing, I might suggest that you look for a flamenco (negra) cutaway, with a set-up at no higher than about 3.2 mm and 2.5 mm at the 12th fret on the 6th and 1st strings respectively. Flamenco guitars like jazz guitars are not built for great sustain, but rather for pass passage work as too much sustain produces sonic mud. The have a fast attack and a brighter sounding than a classical-- which in the context of a noisy room-- is better able to cut through noise and be heard. I suggest the negra (rosewood) as it seems to compromise between a strict classical and a traditional cypress flamenco guitar.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavaletas View Post
Given your a jazz player, i want to give you some general guidance. The standard width of a classical at the nut is 52mm. Most have a 650mm scale length. Commonly, classical guitars are set up at a standard of 4.0mm and 3.0mm at the 12th fret on the 6th and 1st strings respectively, probably too high to play jazz or flamenco comfortably.

Given what you are playing, I might suggest that you look for a flamenco (negra) cutaway, with a set-up at no higher than about 3.2 mm and 2.5 mm at the 12th fret on the 6th and 1st strings respectively. Flamenco guitars like jazz guitars are not built for great sustain, but rather for pass passage work as too much sustain produces sonic mud. The have a fast attack and a brighter sounding than a classical-- which in the context of a noisy room-- is better able to cut through noise and be heard. I suggest the negra (rosewood) as it seems to compromise between a strict classical and a traditional cypress flamenco guitar.
What zavaletas said
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Guest 2434

the cordoba c9 parlor is a 7/8 guitar. it's very close indeed to a steel string parlor. I've owned one for about 6 months now. I think it would suit your requirements pretty well though I can imagine the string height might take some adjusting to, more than nut width maybe.
I'm thinking of switch to a thin line classical style due to shoulder issues. (I'm in cola SC )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical