The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Need help - tricky spot in The Water is Wide Pete Huttlinger version

Hi all,

I've pretty well got the solo acoustic version of this song down, except for 1 bar (of course this always happens to me).

When he plays it on the CD he lets all the notes ring and unless he has an extra finger I'm not sure how he does it.

Can anyone take a look at this and pull it off? Here's the problem measure (and the one before it so you get the flow going in).

[IMG]20170902_201817 by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr[/IMG]

Any tips would be appreciated, especially if you can tell me what fingers you are using where.

Thanks in advance AGF!

TK
Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM

First, which is correct, the score or the tab? The tab has extra notes on the 2nd string that are not indicated in the staff notation.

I read it from the staff line, and here,s what I recommend: you can sustain the A for the entire passage if fingered properly. And of course let that dropped D sustain also. This will create the illusion of a ringing chord despite the step-wise movement in the inner voice.

To do this, finger the A/F# with 2 and 4. Sustain the A with the 2nd finger and don,t let it go. Finger the scale wise notes with the remaining fingers -- 1,3 and 4. Sustaining both the A and the bass D should do the trick.

This fingering also allows you to play the pull-offs as written, without dropping your sustained notes.

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 09-04-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 PM

What is the tuning for Pete's version? It is a lovely version! I think he used to offer the tab free on his site, but pulled it at some point. I need to find the tab.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I think you are talking about this part of the tune (a time point in a video recording would be helpful). If so the tab you posted is wonky.
I listened and tabbed that part. Look at Pete's youtube to see how he fingers it.

Dropped D (capo third fret) tuning.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-04-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I have to dust this one back off as it was always a favorite, but if memory serves me correctly the score is basically correct (except that the "a" note is sustained not eighth notes as in the score); i.e. the tab is not accurate for this measure.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
…When he plays it on the CD he lets all the notes ring and unless he has an extra finger I'm not sure how he does it.
Hi tk

There is a version with Pete playing it (from 2015) on YouTube. It might provide the answers you are looking for since the angle is good for watching/learning.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
What is the tuning for Pete's version? It is a lovely version! I think he used to offer the tab free on his site, but pulled it at some point. I need to find the tab.
Hi Rick

Dropped D capoed up 3 frets.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi tk

There is a version with Pete playing it (from 2015) on YouTube. It might provide the answers you are looking for since the angle is good for watching/learning.
Try listening at 1:02

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-05-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I think you are talking about this part of the tune (a time point in a video recording would be helpful). If so the tab you posted is wonky.
I listened and tabbed that part. Look at Pete's youtube to see how he fingers it.

Dropped D (capo third fret) tuning.

This appears to be correct, based on the video. Sustain the A (3rd string, 2nd fret) with the 1st finger (no bar), and finger the other notes with 4 and 2. The pull-offs are not indicated in the TAB, but are easy to execute with this fingering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write