The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-28-2022, 06:28 AM

The tell with R S Williams from the 1930s until the 1950s at least is the neck profile I am finding. If you have a Hensel Artist or a Brasher resonator to compare, the neck will have the same general characteristics and feel in hand. There are at least three headstock variations, a squaretopped slothead that is often finished in a burst so the top and bottom are dark brown and the middle fades to light brown, a straight sided type that sometimes has a slight peak in the middle top like a Vega, and yours looks to be an example of the third one. It is easy to see comparisons to some Harmony and Regal guitars in Williams' builds but the neck is the giveaway. It gets a little confusing after 1952 too because Holman Luggage in Guelph bought the guitar operation from the Williams family and continued to make a couple of the least expensive catalogue guitars while Mr Hensel also continued to hand build guitars in the 1950s. I have also seen a "Stewart" branded bird's eye maple model made by Kay. If you look on this page there are a couple of Willams archtops that are different materials, finish and headstock shapes, but compare shape and proportion wise very well with your guitar. https://mydirtyguitarhabit.com/r-s-w...-guitar-maker/
Old 04-28-2022, 06:55 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by the neck "profile". That usually refers to the cross section, which can't be seen in these photos. But everything about the neck that's visible on this guitar says Harmony, just like the body. It does not appear to be from the same builder as the Williams guitars on your website.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:28 AM

I have a 1939 Harmony, the f-holes shape and position are completely different. I have seen many Williams built archtops with the same f-hole shape and position, and the same headstock shape. Like I say, compare the feel and shape of the neck in hand with a Hensel Artist (which I also have) or a Brasher resonator (which I also have) and you will have your definitive answer.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:33 AM

Yes, Harmony changed the f-hole shape around 1935-6. They introduced two new shapes, one segmented and one single-hole design. A handful of the old style were still sold in the late '30s (probably old stock bodies) but they were just about gone by 1940.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hodge View Post
The tell with R S Williams from the 1930s until the 1950s at least is the neck profile I am finding. If you have a Hensel Artist or a Brasher resonator to compare, the neck will have the same general characteristics and feel in hand. There are at least three headstock variations, a squaretopped slothead that is often finished in a burst so the top and bottom are dark brown and the middle fades to light brown, a straight sided type that sometimes has a slight peak in the middle top like a Vega, and yours looks to be an example of the third one. It is easy to see comparisons to some Harmony and Regal guitars in Williams' builds but the neck is the giveaway. It gets a little confusing after 1952 too because Holman Luggage in Guelph bought the guitar operation from the Williams family and continued to make a couple of the least expensive catalogue guitars while Mr Hensel also continued to hand build guitars in the 1950s. I have also seen a "Stewart" branded bird's eye maple model made by Kay. If you look on this page there are a couple of Willams archtops that are different materials, finish and headstock shapes, but compare shape and proportion wise very well with your guitar. https://mydirtyguitarhabit.com/r-s-w...-guitar-maker/
Thank you Scott for the wealth of knowledge you have offered, greatly appreciated. more than i got from 12th fret. I still have the original bridge & 3 of the original tuners. i will remount the old bridge in next day or so and post a pic if it will help you. greatly appreciate any info you can continue to offer and look forward to seeing my restored baby on your site some day. This was restored by me because i thought it could be beautiful and after over 100 hrs and a bit of sweat it turned out nice...yes it is only a labour of love. the 2 appraisals i got I feel were way too high, but i still am in love with the body and the birds eye, beautiful examples imo. tks again Scott

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 04-28-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
Thank you Scott for the wealth of knowledge you have offered, greatly appreciated. more than i got from 12th fret. I still have the original bridge & 3 of the original tuners. i will remount the old bridge in next day or so and post a pic if it will help you. greatly appreciate any info you can continue to offer and look forward to seeing my restored baby on your site some day. This was restored by me because i thought it could be beautiful and after over 100 hrs and a bit of sweat it turned out nice...yes it is only a labour of love. the 2 appraisals i got I feel were way too high, but i still am in love with the body and the birds eye, beautiful examples imo. tks again Scott
Not a problem, happy to help... and photos are always appreciated thanks very much!
Old 04-30-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

heres my girl with the original bridge (put it back on today) and a clean background for you Scott, if you prefer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss stewart with original bridge.jpg (21.0 KB, 35 views)

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 04-30-2022, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Don,

That is a lovely archtop! I can see that a lot of work went into that gorgeous instrument! Beautifully done!

What a labor of love!

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Don,

That is a lovely archtop! I can see that a lot of work went into that gorgeous instrument! Beautifully done!

What a labor of love!

- Glenn
Thank you very much Glenn. appreciated

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops