The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
It's easy to place it in the recommended location if you have patience. At least half of the time, its tone and/or string balance can be improved by slightly adjusting the positioning of one (sometimes both) of the lenses. This can cause some potential buyers to hesitate on a purchase, but to my ears, this system is worth some extra install time.
Maury, do you often find that you need to experiment with placement or is the jig good enough in most cases? I do sometimes think that, that was one mistake I made. I simply stuck to the jig. Mind you, I did experiment with the treble side transducer in two different spots and the tone just became weak and hollow so I kind of lost patience.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:38 AM

Yamaha fgx5 with atmosfeel pickup through a Venue di and strymon blue sky for reverb. Super simple setup that sounds great. Just need a better tuner though.
Also have an Eastman e10ss with Anthem that works just as good.
If needed I bring a fishman loudbox mini as monitor.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:48 AM

If available at Open Mics I prefer to mic my acoustic.

For solo gigs it's K&K into a few pedals (Delay/Chorus/Tremolo options) and then into either my Fishman Mini or Fishman Performer amp.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:57 AM

An acoustic guitar and a single mic used for both guitar and voice.
Done it many times, solo gigs and open mics.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:59 AM

I try to keep things simple. Taylor 914ce with ES2 and either a DPA 4099 Core microphone or an Audio Sprockets Tonedexter. My Amp is a Fishman SA300 with Xpand and Sub.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:12 AM

Breedlove Premier Concert & Oregon Concerto with LR Baggs Anthems
Boss GT-1000 for the preamp, tuner, some effects and routing options
Boss RC-500 in GT-1000 FX Loop
Soundcraft Signature 12 mixer
JBL PRX712 mains
Alto TS310 monitor (wouldn't recommend it)
Old 03-23-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
An acoustic guitar and a single mic used for both guitar and voice.
Done it many times, solo gigs and open mics.
I might try this with my setup this weekend, I'm going battery powered
So I don't have 48v for a condenser and the Mic-Mechanic I'll be using for reverb doesn't do 48v(even if they say it does)
So I'll try my hottest dynamic and see what happens using only one mic for guitar and vocals
Old 03-23-2021, 10:37 AM

EV PL80 mic >
&
Composite Acoustics GX with built-in Fishman Aura pickup >
Grace Alix with Mooer Yellow Comp and TC HoF2 reverb in effects loop >

Behringer XR18 mixer >

QSC K10.2 (one or two as needed, and QSC CP8 for monitor if necessary)
Old 03-23-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Guitars: Takamine KC70, P3NC, 2005 Ltd or Martin D18 all direct into a Fishman Loudbox Performer

Vocals: Sennheiser e945 mic directly into the same Loudbox.

Easy, sounds good... 15 minutes in, 15 out and on to next show...
Old 03-24-2021, 12:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Maury, do you often find that you need to experiment with placement or is the jig good enough in most cases? I do sometimes think that, that was one mistake I made. I simply stuck to the jig. Mind you, I did experiment with the treble side transducer in two different spots and the tone just became weak and hollow so I kind of lost patience.
Jig gets you in the ballpark every time, and sometimes that's all you need. I find string -to- string volume can often be improved slightly by a nudge one way or the other.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-24-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What I've had the best success with is the approach Gary Hull recommended. I run the wires out the endpin jack, plug one at a time into the preamp and plug into an amp. Place the sensors in the recommended position - I don't use any kind of jig - and position the turnbuckle clamp. Keep the 2 E strings on. Then play the appropriate E string while shifting the turnbuckle around until you hear the loudest, warmest sound. Tighten the turnbuckle a bit and let it bake under pressure overnight. If you have 2 turnbuckles, you can do both sensors. If not, it's a 2-day process. Since I started doing this approach, the installs have sounded good and I haven't been tempted to try different locations.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:29 PM

Last time my brother an I played out we used a Rode NT1 a condenser into a Soundcraft EFX 8 and one Yamaha DXR10 for two guitars and vocals. Other times my Martin 000-42 with K&K into Fire Eye pre amp and Soundcraft EFX8 into one or two Yamaha DXR 10's. Also, sometimes with the Martin I've put a cable from the Fire eye effects out into my 1972 Princeton Reverb amp when we use an electric guitar. There are times I've run my Martin through the Fire Eye and into a Strymon Decco. My Martin sounds surprisingly good through the Princeton.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
It's easy to place it in the recommended location if you have patience. At least half of the time, its tone and/or string balance can be improved by slightly adjusting the positioning of one (sometimes both) of the lenses. This can cause some potential buyers to hesitate on a purchase, but to my ears, this system is worth some extra install time.
I agree that patience is a virtue in positioning the lenses. I found the turnbuckle pressure clamps a big pain to use. I use a long, through sound hole, “C” clamp from Stew Mac, properly cushioned on the bridge side.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 03-29-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Whatever guitar I'm playing into either an S1 or LB Artist depending on the size of the room. For vocals a Sennheiser e945 directly into the amp. For larger venues and outdoors we might add an Alto Trouper on a pole to which we've run the line outs from our amps. Thus each of us in the acoustic duo use our amps as a mixer then line out to mains as needed. Works great.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:44 PM

Default My Path

K&K Mini --> Tonedexter -->Effects Loop to TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor --> Behringer AD-21 --> TC Helicon Play Acoustic --> Behringer XR-18 -->Yamaha DXR 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification