The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2020, 08:25 PM

Default Fishman Compression

The one knob compression that is built into the fishman aura spectrum DI is fantastic. Is there a standalone compression pedal that feels and sounds like this?
Old 12-08-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
The one knob compression that is built into the fishman aura spectrum DI is fantastic. Is there a standalone compression pedal that feels and sounds like this?
When Larry Fishman was on my YouTube interview he mentioned that there may be a series of mini-pedals coming. I would JUMP on the compressor and anti-feedback pedal if it’s true. You can see the interview on my YouTube channel.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Must be the same knob on their Tone DEQ. LIke Bose, fishman delivers on their advertising hype. Their stuff just works.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
When Larry Fishman was on my YouTube interview he mentioned that there may be a series of mini-pedals coming. I would JUMP on the compressor and anti-feedback pedal if it’s true. You can see the interview on my YouTube channel.
I would jump on that as well. Watching your interview now.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I would jump on that as well. Watching your interview now.
Would find anti-feedback more useful . . but if they could put compression and anti-feedback onto ONE micro-pedal . . . wow!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Would find anti-feedback more useful . . but if they could put compression and anti-feedback onto ONE micro-pedal . . . wow!
Yes. This would be nice. And it has to be maddening for a company to determine what to bring to market. All in one unit. Separate units. Units that combine 2 or 3 things. There’s just no way to win.

I’m pretty excited for the individual pedals. I will purchase that compression with no hesitation.

In Aaron Short’s interview with Larry, I learned that the compression that fishman based it on is the dbx over easy compressors. This makes perfect sense to me. The best compressors I’ve found for acoustic is the keeley compressor pro with the knee set to soft and the Petty John Crush. These are both vca style compressors like the dbx. I still prefer the fishman single knob compression on acoustic. Partly because of the simplicity. And partly because it just works.

I may buy one of those old dbx 163 compressors to check out.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:32 PM

Funny I stumble across this post because just today I was watching a review of the Aura and found the feedback suppressor almost too good to be true. Is it as good as advertised? Supposedly you get your guitar to feedback, crank the knob and the unit will tame up to 3 different trouble areas??

I parted with my Bose L1M2 today but couldn't let go of the T8S...the 3 para eq'd has proven to be far too valuable in helping me with feedback..(using the tuner to dial out problem frequencies...priceless to me) (It has the typical low, mid, high eq and 3 separate para eq settings)
Old 12-14-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
How much do you typically use?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBoogie View Post
How much do you typically use?

Personally, I like it between 11:00 -1:00 on the dial. Most often between 11:00 - 12:00.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Personally, I like it between 11:00 -1:00 on the dial. Most often between 11:00 - 12:00.
Right on. I'll have to try that on the next gig and see how it feels. I wonder what the compression ratio is they use and what type comp they base it off of.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:52 PM

Default Fishman Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBoogie View Post
Right on. I'll have to try that on the next gig and see how it feels. I wonder what the compression ratio is they use and what type comp they base it off of.

It’s based on the dbx over easy compressors - a vca style soft knee compression.

Last edited by aaronmarkson; 12-16-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
It’s based on the dbx over easy compressors - a vca style soft knee compression - the ratio changes with playing dynamics.
Nice! Love VCA comps.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know this thread is old, but I think the folks that participated in it (and maybe some others) will be interested in my recent experiment. I put my old Aura Acoustic Blender (mid-2000s) into my fx chain just to use the built in comp and feedback. Yep, old Aura big and heavy, but it certainly works. Then I dialed in just a touch of IR (setting on 2, I think). Definitely added some nice resonance ... but careful, you quickly overdo it. I put it first in the chain. Very satisfied with the results. I've seen these old units for less than $100.

And just in case someone from Fishman is reading, if and when the company upgrades the Aura, please consider using the interface from the original. I know some said it was too complicated, but IMO the interface was the perfect blend of analog and digital.

As I've heard Aaron Short say on his YouTube show, sometimes the old stuff is still excellent.

Last edited by rb1591; 06-24-2022 at 12:06 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 06-24-2022, 08:16 PM

i have the Fishman EQ pro preamp and it has a compression knob on it too. I don't get it; when i turn it up or on ,all it seems to do is lower my volume. I can't hear any difference when its on or off. can someone explain this?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
i have the Fishman EQ pro preamp and it has a compression knob on it too. I don't get it; when i turn it up or on ,all it seems to do is lower my volume. I can't hear any difference when its on or off. can someone explain this?
Hi eyesore, a compressor reduces dynamic range. By bringing down the peak values, you give yourself more headroom to bring up the overall signal level (so the quieter parts can be louder).

It is that "make up gain" which makes a sound louder, not the act of compression.

In other words, when you use the compressor, it will "squash" (for lack of better word) your signal and you use the gain to make up the loss of volume.

Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification