The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Problematic topic for me.

I've got a long list of gear I love and several items that I'm "meh..." on. How do I choose?
OK.

After careful consideration, in order of most charming and after a careful examination as to the most coveted to least used and underwhelming newer gear...

1. My 14 fret deep body all mahogany size 0 slot head. This would be my desert island choice.

2. My lil' private den of iniquity. Not really a "single item", but the place where I can throw a single power strip switch and power up the Bistro lighting and looper setup for nearly instantaneous playtime fun.

3. Most underwhelming / least used?
My Shure in ear monitors, which haven't proved to be that useful at present. That's not to say that they might later feature more predominantly in my "Happy Funtime Cavalcade of Home Recording" scenario a bit further down the line.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
I felt the same way about my CEO-5, Steve. Sure had a nice fragrance, however...
A shame, because this could/should have been everything (and more) that my D-15S is tonally, and that upgraded HD-28VS style trim made it a real eye-catcher whenever I took it out to a jam - unfortunately I was always undergunned in the volume department...
Old 06-25-2022, 08:34 PM

I absolutely love my powered string winder and coming from the dark ages, give an honorable mention to any battery powered tuner.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-25-2022, 11:12 PM

My "meh" is the Yahama A1M. It looks amazing. But it doesn't "ring". I have wanted so badly for it to be a keeper, but I know I'm just marking time with it. Thankfully I have 2 solid body Eastmans that sound like an unplugged acoustic should (an AC-320 and an E20D).
Old 06-26-2022, 06:10 AM

Leaving instruments out of consideration, I really like my Hiscox and Visenut cases. Meh are the Visenut clasps and it's storage box, but the rest of it is epic (and light!). If you want something else for the "meh" category, then my recorder It's a Zoom and records surprisingly good sound, but I don't like using these things - and I've had several.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

The question isn't about guitars, but about "gear" right ? that's accessories isn't it?

My Princess Mary boxes
that I have in every case, one each for every guitar.

see :

Each contains the preferred picks for that guitar and a capo. Used to keep tuner in there too but ..see below.

Picks? - Each guitar has a Blue Chip TAD40 or TAD 50 Sorry Robin - but they are perfection.

Each guitar also has a Wegen TF120 or 140. They are almost as good as BCs, but preferred for my 12 strings and my Waterloo, and my Archtops.

Capos ? All are the basic Shubb C1s or the 12 string version. They do the job.

I tried to get an Elliott style but like an increasing number of US brands, they refuse to sell to the UK., so I'll stay with my Shubbs.

Clip-on Tuners ? for many years it was D'addario minis but they are all in a little tn box in my workshop now.

My preference is now TC electronics Unitunes. Bit bulky but excellent to use.
a short while ago, Sweetwater or some US corporate music dealer was selling black ones for $10 . I tried to order three - but again, they refused to ship to the UK.

However a good hearted AGF member got some for me and shipped them over with no issues. Thank you!

My guitar straps are made by myself and so are, of course, perfect!

See :

Guitar stands K&M "Heli" or "Heli-2" folding triangle stands They are light but sturdy and I'm happy with them.

Meh? My cheat sheets.

I am now past old to elderly and have no memory function, and also not gigging so much, so I need my four ring binder (and old IBM Proposal file). and its over full, and I'd love the idea of having all my hundreds of songs on a tablet or some such like some, but for the life of me can't work out how it could be done.

With Dupuytrens one loses subtle senses in your fingertips so turning pages has become problematic.

Cases ! TKLs heavy. Amertage -too heavy!

P.A.? I've had some great p.a. systems including my old Peavey kit but again, too heavy and bulky for an old guy. my "preloved" Bose L1, cheapo mixer and my old Rode nt1 does the job perfectly well for my purposes and my club.

Music Stands I have a hybrid one made out of two "RAT" stands -it's OK, but ....
Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Love:

Love: D&A Starfish stands. I think I own 7-8 of these. Best stands I've ever seen. I don't know if they'll last a lifetime or not but they really hold a guitar and are just about the only stand that I trust at this point.

I'll second that motion. I was trying to remember the brand of one I have in my studio space where I'm often parking a guitar while engineering or producing a session or where I may need to change instruments in the middle of live tracking pass. I need a stand that doesn't waste my time, grabs the guitar even if I'm a little distracted and lets me grab it back just as fast.

Sure enough, the one I use with satisfaction is a Starfish.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-26-2022, 12:49 PM

Love: Gibson J-45 Standard. Should have gotten one of these a long time ago. Who knew? I guess everyone did.

Meh: Bass Big Muff. Didn’t really do what I had hoped in terms of being fat but not super hairy. It’s pretty hairy, which makes it kind of messy.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:51 AM

Love : Martins OOO-18 and OODB

Meh : Don’t actually own any by now.
I do not Keep those long when it happens…
Old 06-27-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
I…I have too many other things calling for my change these days.
Hi SBB…

I love my NeckUP lift for acoustics.
I love my cut capos.

I had my luthier block the Whammy Bar on my Strat. (Now I can play it in Dropped D on the fly).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-27-2022, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Love:

1. Casein picks
2. John Pearse Phos Bronze/Silk strings

Meh:
a TD60 Blue Chip pick. A little too dark for me.

I have to give some runner-up love to two 25+ year old capos:
an Elliott-McKinney, and an original brass Victor

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion