The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #271  
Old 06-27-2022, 05:17 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,253
Default Matching Stones to Builds

I spent some time this weekend building on my skills at working stone. Stone is a lot harder to work than wood. Small pieces for inlays are easy but it gets considerably harder when trying to cut slabs for rosettes.

However, I get a big boost of inspiration when I start matching stones to planned builds:









m
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras
  #272  
Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 AM
Kenny B Kenny B is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 501
Default

Stone Rosettes: I really like the first one with the yellowish tint and would consider that for my build. What type of stone is it?
__________________
Beneteau Concert cutaway Sitka/Maple 2009
Beneteau Baritone Sitka/Walnut 2005
Beneteau Concert cutaway Adi/Honduras Rosewood 2003
  #273  
Old 06-27-2022, 11:56 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Stone Rosettes: I really like the first one with the yellowish tint and would consider that for my build. What type of stone is it?
That stone is Brecciated Yellow Jasper. It is hard but still workable. I’m going to be stocking up on this one. It’s a favorite of mine too.
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras
  #274  
Old 06-27-2022, 10:41 PM
Jlhunt Jlhunt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Mark, I really love what you are doing with stone. I live on the west coast and am building a guitar with west coast woods. It will be figured Claro Walnut with a special Redwood top. While I was camping in the coastal redwoods I picked up some petrified redwood. I cut it up into pieces for nuts and bridges. What are your thoughts on using petrified redwood this way?
  #275  
Old 06-28-2022, 04:18 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlhunt View Post
Hi Mark, I really love what you are doing with stone. I live on the west coast and am building a guitar with west coast woods. It will be figured Claro Walnut with a special Redwood top. While I was camping in the coastal redwoods I picked up some petrified redwood. I cut it up into pieces for nuts and bridges. What are your thoughts on using petrified redwood this way?
Thanks John! Using petrified wood on an acoustic guitar is a very appealing idea. My concern with using it for nuts and saddles is how hard it is. With all the quartz that is typically in petrified wood it is about as hard as steel nails. That’s great for sustain and overtones but might sound harsh or shrill. It would be tough on strings too.

If I were going to go for it anyway I’d want to match it up with some very soft sounding tonewoods like a Billy Pine top on some of that Sheoak you have and I’d put it on a large body guitar. If it was still too harsh sounding I’d put Black Diamond coated strings on it or Silk and Steel.

Certainly that is using woods that are a little further West than you intended on your current build

m
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 06-28-2022 at 07:34 PM.
  #276  
Old 06-28-2022, 05:43 PM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,521
Default

Such a pleasure playing this little beauty. Mark was one of the first builders who changed my mind about cedar and short scales, this guitar is a perfect example of why. Beautiful mids with great sustain even when fretted and a soulful treble. Omnidirectional bass that doesn't overpower but lays a perfect foundation. If you can, listen with headphones, as the frequency range in this recording doesn't suit smaller speakers. Congrats to the lucky new owner!

__________________
Dustin Furlow

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-Proudly endorsed by Larrivee Guitars, D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound
-Music on Spotify and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

Last edited by Dustinfurlow; 06-28-2022 at 07:31 PM.
  #277  
Old 06-28-2022, 06:09 PM
Nemoman Nemoman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,830
Default

Lucky owner, indeed!

Kudos, Mark, and beautiful playing, Dustin!

I'm really digging all the stone work you're doing, Mark--just awesome stuff.
__________________
2013 Stehr Auditorium (Carpathian/Myrtle)
2015 Stehr Auditorium (Adi/BRW)
2018 Wilborn Ellie Belle (Old Stika/EIR)
2020 Baranik Meridian (Blue Spruce/Manchinga)
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
  #278  
Old 06-28-2022, 06:50 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 11,587
Default

Great guitar, great demo Dustin. I really liked your rendition of "Close to you". You seem far too young to have even heard of the Carpenters! For all I know, someone recorded it recently.
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
  #279  
Old 06-29-2022, 03:59 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Such a pleasure playing this little beauty. Mark was one of the first builders who changed my mind about cedar and short scales, this guitar is a perfect example of why. Beautiful mids with great sustain even when fretted and a soulful treble. Omnidirectional bass that doesn't overpower but lays a perfect foundation. If you can, listen with headphones, as the frequency range in this recording doesn't suit smaller speakers. Congrats to the lucky new owner!

Thanks for putting this up Dustin. It was great having you up last week and I look forward to starting up on your guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Lucky owner, indeed!

Kudos, Mark, and beautiful playing, Dustin!

I'm really digging all the stone work you're doing, Mark--just awesome stuff.
Thanks Nemoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Great guitar, great demo Dustin. I really liked your rendition of "Close to you". You seem far too young to have even heard of the Carpenters! For all I know, someone recorded it recently.
Thanks for your comments Tom!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras
  #280  
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 AM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Ol' North State
Posts: 4,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Such a pleasure playing this little beauty. Mark was one of the first builders who changed my mind about cedar and short scales, this guitar is a perfect example of why. Beautiful mids with great sustain even when fretted and a soulful treble. Omnidirectional bass that doesn't overpower but lays a perfect foundation. If you can, listen with headphones, as the frequency range in this recording doesn't suit smaller speakers. Congrats to the lucky new owner!

Absolutely beautiful! Great playing Dustin! The guitar sounds and looks wonderful Mark!
__________________
Treenewt

Larrivée OM-03
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman E2D-CD
  #281  
Old 06-29-2022, 12:54 PM
canuck7's Avatar
canuck7 canuck7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oak Harbor WA
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Lucky owner, indeed!

Kudos, Mark, and beautiful playing, Dustin!

I'm really digging all the stone work you're doing, Mark--just awesome stuff.

Yes, coming home next week!! Can’t wait.
Dustin has a great touch and gets a beautiful sound out of it…we’ll see what I can create with this beauty!!
__________________
Jeff

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus La Canada Model 17
  #282  
Old 06-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Absolutely beautiful! Great playing Dustin! The guitar sounds and looks wonderful Mark!
Thanks for following along on this one Treenewt and thanks of the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Yes, coming home next week!! Can’t wait.
Dustin has a great touch and gets a beautiful sound out of it…we’ll see what I can create with this beauty!!
I look forward to getting getting it into your hands. I am very happy with it and hope you will be too!

m
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras
  #283  
Old 06-30-2022, 05:27 PM
Guitars44me's Avatar
Guitars44me Guitars44me is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mountains east of San Diego
Posts: 5,531
Smile Sweet

Sounds very nice. VERY nice

Way to go. Kudos to all

Paul
__________________
3 John Kinnaird 12 fret cut Customs:
Big Maple/Cedar Dread
Jumbo Spanish Cedar/WRC
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2c 12 fret Custom
2016 552ce 12X12
R.Wilson Weissy

A few choice 90s Taylors
Some budget electrics
Bunch of drums
  #284  
Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 PM
Jlhunt Jlhunt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks John! Using petrified wood on an acoustic guitar is a very appealing idea. My concern with using it for nuts and saddles is how hard it is. With all the quartz that is typically in petrified wood it is about as hard as steel nails. That’s great for sustain and overtones but might sound harsh or shrill. It would be tough on strings too.

If I were going to go for it anyway I’d want to match it up with some very soft sounding tonewoods like a Billy Pine top on some of that Sheoak you have and I’d put it on a large body guitar. If it was still too harsh sounding I’d put Black Diamond coated strings on it or Silk and Steel.

Certainly that is using woods that are a little further West than you intended on your current build

m
Thanks for the info Mark! I think I'll stick to a bone saddle and nut and find some other use for the petrified redwood.
  #285  
Old 07-01-2022, 12:31 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Sounds very nice. VERY nice

Way to go. Kudos to all

Paul
Thanks Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlhunt View Post
Thanks for the info Mark! I think I'll stick to a bone saddle and nut and find some other use for the petrified redwood.
Your welcome. I'm sorry I was trying not to rain on your parade but I think you've made a good decision.
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable”.

Pythagoras
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=