The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2022, 04:31 PM

Default How do I add more effects to my plugged in sound?

I have a loudbox mini that I plug my HD-28 into. I have a anthem m80 pickup in the guitar. I’d like to tweak the tone a bit more than the loudbox will allow. Any recommendations to juice up the tone a bit so to speak? I’m a bit ignorant when it comes to amplification. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

An EQ pedal will allow for more adjustment and gain…I use a Boss GE-7 modded by Analogman sometimes…most preamp pedals will do the same and often include some additional features like notch filters and such… generally speaking the better the preamp the better the results… and the higher the cost….. as far as how to use it goes just put it in line after your guitar and before the amp….

There are many choices…pick one that has the features you want and go from there… good luck!
Old 06-15-2022, 08:39 PM

A good DI with a good tonestack will help you tailor your tone with greater precision, and thus better tone out of your Fishman.

The Bagss Venue, Fishman PlatPro, or Radial Tonebone will all get you there. I personally like and use the Venue (and have used it for many years) as it has two sweep EQ bands and two treb bands. And should you need it, it has an effects loop should you want to use pedals. But don't be lured by "feature rich" units: you want a good sounding and dead-quiet preamp, and effective tone sculpting. These three units are very well established in live use and enjoy lots of props from users for years. If you want a better preamp you'll spend more (which makes sense of course), but personally I'd avoid spending less.

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 06-15-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
...But don't be lured by "feature rich" units: you want a good sounding and dead-quiet preamp, and effective tone sculpting.
^^
This might save you a lot of trouble and expense.

If you're an iThings user you can have a lot of fun with an iRig stomp to hook up your iPhone/iPad inline and use the FX/controls in Garage, Amplitube or many other apps.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstomp/
Old 06-16-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Any recommendations to juice up the tone a bit so to speak?
I'd get a Polytune3 tuner/mute & a Fishman ToneDEQ. From there you can go into your Loudbox Mini and/or a soundboard.

Frank
Old 06-16-2022, 10:48 AM

as previously suggested, start with an EQ pedal if you just want tone shaping

that should be relatively inexpensive and easy to sort out to get started.

see if that gets you any closer to the sounds in your head.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-16-2022, 11:23 AM

Stop!

Lots of good suggestions here, but before you spend any money, if you have not already done so,
go read this forum thread and watch the video in the first post:
BAGGS M80 & ALIGN EQ DEMO
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517255

noledog (Eric) shows how to set up the M80 & what to think about to get the most out of it.
Later, he goes on to talk about the Baggs Align EQ, but at the least pay attention to the M80 part.

Eric was a great advocate for the M80 for several years. Interestingly, he has since moved on
to a different sound hole pickup (Mojotone maybe?).
He is a wonderful performer, check out his other videos, too, elsewhere in the forum.

Hope this helps, _RP
Old 06-17-2022, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies! I’m starting to get a better understanding as to how preamps work and what I should be looking for. Currently researching a few of the preamps mentioned above. Might even call sweetwater and have them walk me through some of the models that they have available in my price range. Thanks again guys.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:36 AM

I have a Positive Grid Riff interface and the Positive Grid FX2 app running on my phone with the acoustic guitar effects expansion. It lets you try whatever effects chain you want, and gives you roughly the same DSP modeling ability (and quality) that you would have with a Line6 Helix or Kemper modeler.

It is really a fun way to experiment, and pretty easy to set up live if you like what you hear. It lets you try whatever setup you might try if money was no object.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have a Positive Grid Riff interface and the Positive Grid FX2 app running on my phone with the acoustic guitar effects expansion. It lets you try whatever effects chain you want, and gives you roughly the same DSP modeling ability (and quality) that you would have with a Line6 Helix or Kemper modeler.

It is really a fun way to experiment, and pretty easy to set up live if you like what you hear. It lets you try whatever setup you might try if money was no object.
This looks interesting and affordable. Maybe a good place to start. Thank you for your help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification